Little Muddle

KNP

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Too late, you mentioned modelling eggs....

I think that we all know what is going to happen now! 😎

images.jpeg.jpg.b539c6b15b23e9703c435ffdd1106cbf.jpg

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

3 hours ago, 37Oban said:

Agreed.  Wrong colour, shape and the legs/feet should be whiter for an Orpington!

They are also available in white, black, blue and golden laced varieties.

and mustn't forget also available roasted 😇

• Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

Morning Kevin. 

Wonderful depth of field on that image. 

The whole composition is just sublime. 

Rob

• Agree 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

13 hours ago, KNP said:

At rest ready to start a day's work.

Every now and then you take a picture that works and to my eyes this is one of them....

I suppose this is a prototype / period question: today, the equivalent of this scene would have a ten foot high metal fence between the locomotive and the two members of the public having a chat in the background, with 'Danger of death' notices everywhere and probably razor wire on top. All sensible precautions of course to keep the soft squishy humans away from the heavy metal locomotives. But in the 1930s, were railway yards really as 'open' as depicted here? Or is this modeller's licence, and the 'real' 1930s LM would have a wire fence or similar between railway and public road?

I appreciate no one-size-fits-all answer, and this is a dockside scene which might have different rules (both for railway safety and public access), but just curious. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

6 minutes ago, ed1234 said:

I suppose this is a prototype / period question: today, the equivalent of this scene would have a ten foot high metal fence between the locomotive and the two members of the public having a chat in the background, with 'Danger of death' notices everywhere and probably razor wire on top. All sensible precautions of course to keep the soft squishy humans away from the heavy metal locomotives. But in the 1930s, were railway yards really as 'open' as depicted here? Or is this modeller's licence, and the 'real' 1930s LM would have a wire fence or similar between railway and public road?

I appreciate no one-size-fits-all answer, and this is a dockside scene which might have different rules (both for railway safety and public access), but just curious. 

I'm in no way claiming that this is the answer, but one might suppose that people back then had more situational awareness than now, seeing as they didn't carry tiny screens that constantly demand their attention. They'd certainly be more likely to take notice of a giant metal object starting to move near them.

To add to that, perhaps people have become complacent around such things as well, seeing as you need only walk through the front door to come face to face with a bunch of quickly moving motorized vehicles, which probably generally move faster and are more common than they were in the 1930s.

• Like 5
  • Agree 2

11 minutes ago, ed1234 said:

I would say yes as I have pictures of trains moving through Weymouth town to the harbour station and people, cars, etc are walking around as the train slowly pasted but there was a man walking in front with a red flag……so very safe 

In the 70’s my Dad and I built flying gliders and used to sometimes use Chorleywood common and I can recall one instance that relates 

We launched a Keil Kraft Dolphin, the wind caught it and took it straight down the hill into the adjoining goods yard full of coal wagons, one of which the glider landed in.

All we did was walk down the slope through an open gate into the yard, spoke to someone working and he just waved us towards the wagon. Dad lifted me in, I got the glider and we walked back up to the common after thanking the chap.

Bet you couldn’t do that now, no security, no H&S, left to our own devices…..

Good old days….eh

• Like 13
  • Agree 5

4 minutes ago, KNP said:

I would say yes as I have pictures of trains moving through Weymouth town to the harbour station and people, cars, etc are walking around as the train slowly pasted but there was a man walking in front with a red flag……so very safe 

In the 70’s my Dad and I built flying gliders and used to sometimes use Chorleywood common and I can recall one instance that relates 

We launched a Keil Kraft Dolphin, the wind caught it and took it straight down the hill into the adjoining goods yard full of coal wagons, one of which the glider landed in.

All we did was walk down the slope through an open gate into the yard, spoke to someone working and he just waved us towards the wagon. Dad lifted me in, I got the glider and we walked back up to the common after thanking the chap.

Bet you couldn’t do that now, no security, no H&S, left to our own devices…..

Good old days….eh

G'Day Folks

But people weren't so daft back then, they didn't glue their hands to the road to make a point.

manna 

• Like 5
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, ed1234 said:

When I lived in a village as a child in the 1950s the goods yard gates at the station were always open and you could walk in without problems.  If you had a bicycle to leave at the station when travelling on a train you simply wheeled your bike across the foot crossing on the main line onto the platform.  Even in the 60s and 70s I was often allowed to enter goods yards and loco sheds etc by local railwaymen when taking photos.

As for harbours, I live by the sea,  At my local harbour I cannot enter areas where cargo is regularly handled but I can park on an area of Quayside which is often used to moor ships, the only protection is a concrete barrier about 9 inches high between the mooring bollards.  Sometimes ships do unload there or have minor repair work done, people seem to stay safe.

At another harbour a few miles away mainly used by fishing vessels you can walk anywhere, it seems to be assumed you will not fall in the water or get run over.

It may be different in other parts of the country, I sometimes think where I live is a bit atypical - we even have free parking!

David

• Like 14

10 minutes ago, Limpley Stoker said:

Beautifully painted  figures - especially the yellow oilskins ! Does the milkman have any gold top milk on the float ( will we have a horse drawn milk float one day ?) 

I don’t know as I haven’t painted the tops of the milk bottles yet, so I could paint some gold tops for you!!!!

Regarding the oilskins that was a toned thin yellow painted over the grey of the figure left showing the grey grinning through.

Not finished yet as I have the faces and other details to do

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, KNP said:

And at the same time I painting some figures.

Multi tasking here you know.

Some are crew for my boats.

EC4BAF65-37AC-408F-823D-01B0D11A4802.jpeg.91ff20764188ab1a101e5277dd82296f.jpeg

I suppose the milkman could be delivering to the boat???

Are the two on the right twins?

Jay

6 minutes ago, JustinDean said:

Are the two on the right twins?

Jay

I think they are as they seem to be the same design! There is another one holding a broom so they must be triplets….!

I have tried them ou from a firm called Scale 3D, they do a very good range so I expect I shall get some more in the near future.

• Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, KNP said:

I think they are as they seem to be the same design! There is another one holding a broom so they must be triplets….!

I have tried them ou from a firm called Scale 3D, they do a very good range so I expect I shall get some more in the near future.

They look great Kevin - I really should pluck up the courage to have a go at figure painting myself!

Jay

• Friendly/supportive 4