Little Muddle

KNP

3 hours ago, 1466 said:

I found the airflow around my 1966 Midget drastically changed at 50 mph . Below 50 I could sit in a warm air on winter nights with the hood down. Above 50 the cold air came rushing in . The same was true with rain which would get blown over the windscreen but  at a critical speed would be blown into the “cockpit”. 

Ditto 1968 Triumph Spitfire. Winding both side windows up seemed to make it worse!

Edited by MrWolf
General illiteracy
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

33 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Ditto 1968 Triumph Spitfire. Winding both side windows seemed to make it worse!

I’ll remember that when driving my Mokka X !!

😳

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 1466 said:

I found the airflow around my 1966 Midget drastically changed at 50 mph . Below 50 I could sit in a warm air on winter nights with the hood down. Above 50 the cold air came rushing in . The same was true with rain which would get blown over the windscreen but  at a critical speed would be blown into the “cockpit”. 

52 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Ditto 1968 Triumph Spitfire. Winding both side windows seemed to make it worse!

That's interesting. If the weather was dry I'd drive with the top down - fast or slow, summer or winter, day or night (otherwise, what's the point of a ragtop?) but I had to put the roof up at the first sign of rain.

• Friendly/supportive 4

25 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Just don't go above 50 mph and you should be ok.

Lucky to, following wind, down hill will help!!!

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, John Besley said:

Does anyone already provide said period bikes, as I guess there were a goodly number about in the 30's 

I don't know about the historical accuracy ( @MrWolf, @KNP  and others might comment?) but there's https://www.artitecshop.com/en/vehicles/h0-187/ready-made/motorcycles/ and https://www.artitecshop.com/en/anwb-roadside-assistance-motorcycle-sidecar-with-f.html - very nicely detailed but two snags I see, they are 1:87 scale (though a touch of forced perspective if you used them close to the back of a layout?) and not cheap.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, The White Rabbit said:

don't know about the historical accuracy ( @MrWolf, @KNP  and others might comment?) but there's https://www.artitecshop.com/en/vehicles/h0-187/ready-made/motorcycles/ and https://www.artitecshop.com/en/anwb-roadside-assistance-motorcycle-sidecar-with-f.html - very nicely detailed but two snags I see, they are 1:87 scale (though a touch of forced perspective if you used them close to the back of a layout?) and not cheap.  

What lovely models. 

• Agree 5

57 minutes ago, The White Rabbit said:

I don't know about the historical accuracy ( @MrWolf, @KNP  and others might comment?) but there's https://www.artitecshop.com/en/vehicles/h0-187/ready-made/motorcycles/ and https://www.artitecshop.com/en/anwb-roadside-assistance-motorcycle-sidecar-with-f.html - very nicely detailed but two snags I see, they are 1:87 scale (though a touch of forced perspective if you used them close to the back of a layout?) and not cheap.  

The little veteran NSU is a thing of beauty and despite being a pre Great War design, could pass for anything made between about 1903-28 and plenty were still around in the late thirties because they were easy to maintain.

Of the others, the Triumph with girder forks will pass for any of their single cylinder bikes made between 1930-46. The BMW R75 was originally made for the Wehrmacht and civilian production isn't thought to have taken place until 1946. The R25 entered production until 1950. 

The American bikes look like Harley Davidsons with the "Knucklehead" engine that was used 1939-48, 

The rest are from the 50s, 60s and 70s, most of which, such as the Zundapp were imported into the UK in reasonable quantities, having dealer networks established to provide support to owners.

A very interesting selection and thanks for sharing.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Artitec make some lovely models, came close a few times to building some of their boats/ships but the 1/87th scale was the problem as the difference in dimensions is quick noticeable at OO scale.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Early model of New Imperial, very nice and a rare sight now. My father's first bike was a rather dog eared 1936 model bought for £2 in 1956 or 57, like the one below, I've still got the green log book for it somewhere.

It's a typical prewar commuter bike of which there should be one or more on any layout from 1930-60.

image.jpeg.8c47251fcd2d77710f29f9340894bf70.jpeg

Image: Bonham's 

• Like 17

18 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Early model of New Imperial, very nice and a rare sight now. My father's first bike was a rather dog eared 1936 model bought for £2 in 1956 or 57, like the one below, I've still got the green log book for it somewhere.

It's a typical prewar commuter bike of which there should be one or more on any layout from 1930-60.

image.jpeg.8c47251fcd2d77710f29f9340894bf70.jpeg

Image: Bonham's 

Very nice but is it OO scale?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Modelu Chris said:

We have scanned a bike recently (not an easy job) it does need a fair bit of editing before we can provide something that can be printed. I have put a picture of the bike below:

WhatsAppImage2024-01-25at09_30.14_9b19187f.jpg.fae0727a4381829d8f4d0fd8e7e38da4.jpg

What scales will this be available in, can it be made as a kit in 7/8ths?

• Friendly/supportive 2

10 hours ago, Modelu Chris said:

We have scanned a bike recently (not an easy job) it does need a fair bit of editing before we can provide something that can be printed. I have put a picture of the bike below:

WhatsAppImage2024-01-25at09_30.14_9b19187f.jpg.fae0727a4381829d8f4d0fd8e7e38da4.jpg

Nice cardie. Who is up for painting that pattern in 4mm scale ?🤔

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

I would have thought freight grey too, though obviously I couldn't confirm it.

Logically the Great Western had plentiful supplies of the stuff, the train is made mostly from items off the Swindon dump and spent it's time scuttling about killing weeds.

I can't imagine them wasting cash on a special livery for something like that.

• Agree 5