Little Muddle

KNP

Very nice @KNP.

I think the signalman has taken the impending blackout regulations a bit too literally though. Might be why those trains always have to wait at that pesky signal on the viaduct? 🤔

Writing that has prompted recollection of a BR rule about footplate staff having to walk to the box if they were held unduly long at a signal ? Others on here might be able to confirm whether I am remembering correctly. And whether that rule existed on the GWR in 1938.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Gedward said:

"All quiet at Little Muddle".

"Repeat, all quiet at Little Muddle".

"Over".

“Top hole. Bally Jerry pranged his kite right in the how's your father. Hairy blighter, dicky-birdied, feathered back on his Sammy, took a waspy, flipped over on his Betty Harper's and caught his can in the Bertie.”

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, franciswilliamwebb said:

“Top hole. Bally Jerry pranged his kite right in the how's your father. Hairy blighter, dicky-birdied, feathered back on his Sammy, took a waspy, flipped over on his Betty Harper's and caught his can in the Bertie.”

Sounds painful. 

• Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Gedward said:

"All quiet at Little Muddle".

"Repeat, all quiet at Little Muddle".

"Over".

LM Squadran leader copy.jpg

Let’s hope the Squadron Leader doesn’t go into a full blown Robert Shaw mode ……….

Brian

• Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Fishplate said:

Very nice @KNP.

I think the signalman has taken the impending blackout regulations a bit too literally though. Might be why those trains always have to wait at that pesky signal on the viaduct? 🤔

Writing that has prompted recollection of a BR rule about footplate staff having to walk to the box if they were held unduly long at a signal ? Others on here might be able to confirm whether I am remembering correctly. And whether that rule existed on the GWR in 1938.

Rule 55...?

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Fishplate said:

Very nice @KNP.

As @John Besley says, rule 55 - which runs to 10 pages in my 1933 SR rule book - including variations for all four companies...

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

I think there was more than one accident where the crew had been 'forgotten' and when the road got pulled off carried on up the line only to been run into the back by a late running Express in the dark... Hawes Jct springs to mind

Advisable to read LTC Rolt Red for Danger to get a background of how the railways evolved from tragedies... I have always said that it should be required reading for anyone contemplating working on the footplate, in particular Abermule... There is a YouTube video of a Footplate crew on a preserved railway (I wont say where) where the fireman doesn't check the staff / token and promptly hangs it up without referring to the driver as far as I can tell.

When I was on the SDR I always confirmed with my driver the correct staff had been given to me irrespective of our being the only engine in use, just supposing I had the wrong one and we couldn't unlock the frame at Totnes to run round...

Edited by John Besley
  • Like 9
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, John Besley said:

Advisable to read LTC Rolt Red for Danger to get a background of how the railways evolved from tragedies... I have always said that it should be required reading for anyone contemplating working on the footplate, in particular Abermule... There is a YouTube video of a Footplate crew on a preserved railway (I wont say where) where the fireman doesn't check the staff / token and promptly hangs it up without referring to the driver as far as I can tell.

Required reading anywhere on the railway in my opinion - and was on the reading list I was given before starting training as a signalman. First thing the district inspector said when he handed me my rulebook (the current one, not the 1933 edition! ) was "just remember, every rule in that book was written in blood"

• Like 5
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Very little smell there- they are very clean premises for the piggies. I think it is a composite pigsty - the enclosure on the left is a little larger than the other two.

IMG_4980.jpeg.feb4c24f18ef13fd0ad8cef633ede9f0.jpeg

Edited by Limpley Stoker
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Limpley Stoker said:

Very little smell there- they are very clean premises for the piggies. I think it is a composite pigsty - the enclosure on the left is a little larger than the other two.

Well it is a 'model' farm. What more would you expect than to be at the forefront of good agricultural practice.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 3

7 hours ago, Limpley Stoker said:

Family suite…!

• Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Limpley Stoker said:

It looks like the far right No3 is the smallest, an internal sniff around is about to happen judging by the said occupant heading inside to check things over..

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, KNP said:

Family suite…!

Hi,

there could be more truth than poetry in that!  It could a farrowing pen where a pregnant sow would be confined behind bars so the piglets could get away from her to prevent being crushed when she moved.

Roja

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1