RMweb

Little Muddle

KNP

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, KNP said:

I understand the crew have spoken already to their union representative asking to be relocated as they argue that why are we here as this model doesn't function so doesn't technically need a crew?

Therefore all they are required to do is stand there and look useful! They might as well be a static model themselves?

Do the other panniers move, then?  I thought GWR branches were entirely pheasant-safe and didn't indulge in that dreadful modern trend of rushing around and going off somewhere else? 😇

• Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, franciswilliamwebb said:

Do the other panniers move, then?  I thought GWR branches were entirely pheasant-safe and didn't indulge in that dreadful modern trend of rushing around and going off somewhere else? 😇

Railway pheasants are smarter than we might expect. About 50 years ago, I was on a train on the Grain branch. With a 20 mph PSR, we found a pheasant flying along 4 or 5 feet in front of the cab. For several miles! Crews said it often happened. You felt if you could have opened the cab windscreen you could have grabbed dinner!

• Like 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Slightly related.....  Has anyone ever managed to find any 4mm scale pheasants anywhere?  I fancy having a few lurking in fields and hedges on the layout.....

Thanks

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

15 minutes ago, Silas said:

Slightly related.....  Has anyone ever managed to find any 4mm scale pheasants anywhere?  I fancy having a few lurking in fields and hedges on the layout.....

Thanks

How about https://www.pendukemodels.co.uk/products/copy-of-pigeons-x-4-super-detail-oo-scale ?

Ignore the fact it says "copy of pigeons" in the URL - it is for a pheasant.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

5 hours ago, Silas said:

Thanks

Langley Models do a set of wild birds, including two pheasants., available as unpainted or painted.

https://www.langleymodels.co.uk/awd1/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=5306&search=Wild+birds

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Railway pheasants are smarter than we might expect. About 50 years ago, I was on a train on the Grain branch. With a 20 mph PSR, we found a pheasant flying along 4 or 5 feet in front of the cab. For several miles! Crews said it often happened. You felt if you could have opened the cab windscreen you could have grabbed dinner!

I need to dig it out - O have a picture somewhere of a Pheasant tucked up on the front lap of Tangmere a few years ago as she ran into Exter St David having clobbered this one near Axminster on the way down 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, John Besley said:

I need to dig it out - O have a picture somewhere of a Pheasant tucked up on the front lap of Tangmere a few years ago as she ran into Exter St David having clobbered this one near Axminster on the way down 

I was once told that if you hit a pheasant (or, presumably any bird or animal) while driving, it is illegal for you to stop, pick it up and take it away for cooking, but anyone following you can do so.

Now I’m typing this, I’ve realised I’ve no idea how true it actually is. Assuming it is true and also applies to trains, presumably the crew of the following service from Axminster to Exeter St David’s enjoyed pheasant for tea!

Edited by Tortuga
Repetition
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Tortuga said:

I was once told that if you hit a pheasant (or, presumably any bird or animal) while driving, it is illegal for you to stop, pick it up and take it away for cooking, but anyone following you can do so.

Now I’m typing this, I’ve realised I’ve no idea how true it actually is. Assuming it is true and also applies to trains, presumably the crew of the following service from Axminster to Exeter St David’s enjoyed pheasant for tea!

It used to be true, but that law was changed circa 40 years back - so if you clobber a suitable dinner with your motor car on the public road you are at liberty to stop and take it away for the pot - unless you are travelling on a motorway or other route with no stopping rules in force.

Regards

Chris H

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Tortuga said:

Now I’m typing this, I’ve realised I’ve no idea how true it actually is. Assuming it is true and also applies to trains…

Executing a three point turn and going back for it is certainly frowned upon😉

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Metropolitan H said:

It used to be true, but that law was changed circa 40 years back - so if you clobber a suitable dinner with your motor car on the public road you are at liberty to stop and take it away for the pot - unless you are travelling on a motorway or other route with no stopping rules in force.

Regards

Chris H

Dad, got one by opening his door on the way to work, dropped it off at the butchers, on the way home, he had it for Sunday lunch.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, Tortuga said:

How about the restaurant car crew bagging it as fresh pheasant.... bit like a Emmett cartoon I remember ... I'll have to look in the books I hung onto from my old Dads place..

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The White Rabbit said:

But whoever 'bags' it, who has to pluck it ? Cos that might result in a certain rep as a pheasant plucker... 

Unless you were only his son and standing in for him?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

Posted (edited)

Good job it's just me then isn't it. What's been going on here then. Chair overturned. You could at least got the place ready before I arrived. I suppose I'll have to set it straight, before my full English arrives. It's two sausages, scrambled eggs, two rashes of bacon- well done please, mushrooms, cooked tomatoes and a couple of kidneys please.

I don't know. He invites you round for breakfast and he's not even got the place ready.

Ps nice modelling.

Edited by Winslow Boy
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

I don't know. He invites you round for breakfast and he's not even got the place ready.

Looks like it’s a vegetarian pick-your-own buffet again😉

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3