Little Muddle

KNP

1 hour ago, colin penfold said:

Kevin please pardon me poking my nose but I would have thought that enclosing everything inside a 6' fence is a modern thing and would have been rarer in the 30s. It's by no means everywhere now so you could certainly get away without and save hiding all your excellent work.

PS station cottages Wymondham, present day. Fencing separates the gardens from the station forecourt.

Station_cottages_as_Wymondham_-_geograph_org.uk_-_1335737.jpg.e08aec89de5de50c0fa2a08beee9a725.jpg

Thanks Colin, no problem at with passing on comments and I thoroughly enjoy reading them and in some cases have taken them on board.

So please keep the comments coming as every bit of information helps.

I note from the picture that these are railway cottages exiting onto railway land in the shape of the station forecourt therefore there will be no issues regarding ownership.

In my cases these are meant to be a row of non railway cottages that have had their gardens truncated by the arrival of the railway in the town therefore to sperate the land between the owners I believe something more than a wire strand fence could be justified. 

The pictures I have of Aylesbury and other surrounding areas in the mid 1930's show this type of fencing in common use not only as a boundary fence but as one used to separate individual gardens though these only seem to have only two arris rails so will be about 3 - 4ft in height.

I have made a small section of 6ft high fencing this morning (before the grandchildren arrived!!!) and realised it looked to high and rather dominated the view of the cottages so I will probably use a 4ft high one with matching gates instead.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

38 minutes ago, KNP said:

Forever looking for that illusive area to take pictures I joined a group of trainspotters that frequent the footbridge linking the platforms at Encombe Town station.

After they brought a platform ticket they suggested I ought to as well but said I didn't need one as I know the operator!

Setting up we waited, and waited, and waited....

Then trundling down the line at a very sedate speed came a Mogul with a small freight train heading towards Bristol.

2162.jpg.5f9da7c466028d9b670fa649d0f80797.jpg

2155.jpg.f1c82a893ffe089495b5fa579cc1d91c.jpg

2156.jpg.bbfc37da3c6bcc654f7653f850be313e.jpg

2157.jpg.a281fb8a762a58516296af59a84efd1a.jpg

2158.jpg.4b2c5158ed87edb9115748abfc9af552.jpg

2159.jpg.8f048b52505ccc06f8054e82b2f14804.jpg

2160.jpg.aca3eaadeddb36f9e27b904db1c4c54f.jpg

2161.jpg.fdcba42b92ef541cd82b3cf3098134d9.jpg

And then back to waiting......

2162.jpg.2a209682c2c1bf3fe6ec0284e302da5b.jpg

Kevin, seen from this POV you need some track continuation on the back scene. even a hint or suggestion of the route with some rail side shrubs / trees would be effective.

Colin

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, BWsTrains said:

Kevin, seen from this POV you need some track continuation on the back scene. even a hint or suggestion of the route with some rail side shrubs / trees would be effective.

Colin

I agree but when I started this 10 odd years ago I never envisaged that I would be able to get a camera in the positions I am now.

The whole layout was envisaged as being viewed from the front so some of the items are one sided..i.e track in certain areas is only painted on the front...

• Friendly/supportive 2

7 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

I do like that sequence Kevin, so reminiscent of todays Railway scene but obviously a different time period. Plenty of time between Trains for a Bacon Roll and mug of Tea. 

I'm on my third cup of tea now waiting for the next train...….

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, BWsTrains said:

An active imagination is a key requirement when portraying or examining model railway photographs. When viewing shots like these, I know the backscene is there, but I don't see it. A bit like the Squadron Leader, really, I know he's there, but I don't see him.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 minutes ago, KNP said:

I'm on my third cup of tea now waiting for the next train...….

Limited Saturday Service and NO Sunday Service, :fie::cry:………..might just as well go home and play Trains mate.:good:

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Limited Saturday Service and NO Sunday Service, :fie::cry:………..might just as well go home and play Trains mate.:good:

Thanks for that kind bit of advise.

To run trains I will have to get that out of storage first which is way the Mogul and those vans have been photographed as they are the only ones out at the moment.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Mick Bonwick said:

Or the back, if viewed from the other side. :crazy_mini:

Correct

but

and there is always a but,

there is an inherent problem with doing that....

IMG_0506.jpg.1af7542e493cc487d94c920714c42243.jpg

Taken on iPhone which turned about to be more difficult than I first thought.

Great having these ideas but implementing them is another issue...

• Like 4
  • Funny 9

31 minutes ago, Mick Bonwick said:

An active imagination is a key requirement when portraying or examining model railway photographs. When viewing shots like these, I know the backscene is there, but I don't see it. A bit like the Squadron Leader, really, I know he's there, but I don't see him.

I have a very "active imagination" I imagine trains running into a paddock!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, KNP said:

That's better...Now to leave to dry before painting. 

Much better, something that Mainline/Bachmann models suffer from with chunky lamp irons. Hopefully the 94xx has finer ones although way too late for Little Muddle.

Edited by gwrrob
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, KNP said:

Correct

but

and there is always a but,

there is an inherent problem with doing that....

IMG_0506.jpg.1af7542e493cc487d94c920714c42243.jpg

Taken on iPhone which turned about to be more difficult than I first thought.

Great having these ideas but implementing them is another issue...

Sorry, did you just say that when you photograph from behind there's always a problem with your butt?

Well yes, there would be! But your face doesn't look that bad...

:jester:

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

Then I thought better do the tender as well as there is nothing on it....

So double checking in my Moguls & Prairies book to confirm there positions the tender is now supporting some brackets as well.

IMG_0511.jpg.a4fa57db36cd2382063f340eb3a09a44.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Mick Bonwick said:

A bit like the Squadron Leader, really, I know he's there, but I don't see him.

Blimey, has the Sqn Ldr swapped his trusty Sopwith Camel for a Stealth Fighter! :D

That will come in handy especially as it’s the 30’s so dark clouds must already be gathering over a certain part of Europe  :o

• Funny 2