Little Muddle

KNP

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Stubby47 said:

Logs....

It is significant, Stu, that your idea has been liked by our host here, but also that Bonwick chappie. I suspect the pair of them have cooked up a cunning plan to get more logs to keep Brenda's legs warm. Hot legs? Ooh!

• Funny 6

• RMweb Premium

Seeing as Little Muddle is a real place can I place an order for real coal to be delivered to my coal bin at home.... apparently you cant buy household coal any more... but I can see some fir sale at LM

• Friendly/supportive 2

I imagine a sort Betjeman type character doing the voice overs and  wandering around making notes about the local architecture. In 1936 he would have been 30 and just starting to write the "Shell Guides" after spending a few years as deputy editor of an Architectural magazine(note the career connection!). This is turning into the RMweb equivalent of a french layout,  Chinon st Jaques with a bit of Madder Valley thrown in. Link to Chinon st Jacque note it's upto page 592! https://forum.e-train.fr/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=74784. You have certainly given me lots of ideas, many thanks.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, w124bob said:

I imagine a sort Betjeman type character doing the voice overs and  wandering around making notes about the local architecture. In 1936 he would have been 30 and just starting to write the "Shell Guides" after spending a few years as deputy editor of an Architectural magazine(note the career connection!). This is turning into the RMweb equivalent of a french layout,  Chinon st Jaques with a bit of Madder Valley thrown in. Link to Chinon st Jacque note it's upto page 592! https://forum.e-train.fr/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=74784. You have certainly given me lots of ideas, many thanks.

I've just had a few minutes reading through the Chinon St Jacques link, fortunately for me there's an English language option.

What an absolutely wonderful layout, well worth a look folks.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, KNP said:

[mid Oxfordshire speech]
Thank you for that detailed analysis from our friend over the pond.

Based on the information to hand it appears there are definitely movements afoot and only time will tell what they are......

The photographer was sworn to secrecy so in order to maintain that he kept his eyes closed when taking the pictures.

It must also be remembered that we are working on LM time so it could be a while before we know the ending.

But rest assured dear follower all efforts are dedicated to the efficient, speedy and effect running of this railway for your entertainment.

So stay tuned for the next exciting instalment which is already in the can.......[mid Oxfordshire speech]

Whilst in no way wishing to intrude on this exciting and devil may care episode of 'guess the train' I do have a slight, a tinie, minor point that I wish to raise. That does not sound like a mid Oxfordshire accent to me. Having had the fortune to experience the Oxfordshire accent - fur coat no knickers, I know the accent. So to me that is more like a buckinghamshire or even a northamptonshire accent but definitely not a mid Oxfordshire accent.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Now I'm lost! - Little Muddle has a harbour for sea-going craft, but with the talk of Oxfordshire, Bukinghamshire and Northamptonshire accents (and Northants has distinct differences across the county) where is the relevant coastline??

Regards

Chris H

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Canal as in the incorrectly named Manchester Ship Canal which should in fact be called the Salford Ship Canal as it actually starts in Salford and not Manchester. As we have to keep reminding the businesses that are now their instead of the ships.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Metropolitan H said:

Now I'm lost! - Little Muddle has a harbour for sea-going craft, but with the talk of Oxfordshire, Bukinghamshire and Northamptonshire accents (and Northants has distinct differences across the county) where is the relevant coastline??

Regards

Chris H

The Coast line was probably different when Dinosaurs roamed the land. 1930's?:D

Hat, Coat, Orse and Kart.:swoon:

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

The Coast line was probably different when Dinosaurs roamed the land. 1930's?:D

Hat, Coat, Orse and Kart.:swoon:

It was all called Devonioan at one time - so twas proper then me 'ansome

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Remember those fine words of a song from the past that relates very true to this day, of the location for Little Muddle....

Wherever I lay my track that's my home

Yeah

• Like 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, MrWolf said:

The coast of Northampton is on the Midland & Great Northern Railway, so that's out! :jester:

?? - Even before Peterborough was cut off from Northants in the 1960s, it was still a good 25 - 30 mile from Northants to the nearest point on the Wash - even though you could get there - eventually - by way of the Muddle & Go Nowhere!

Having said that I can remember seeing the coastal Sailing Barges - Loading / Unloading - at the mill just north of Peterborough East, in the 1950s/60s.

Regards

Chris H

• Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, KNP said:

Remember those fine words of a song from the past that relates very true to this day, of the location for Little Muddle....

Wherever I lay my track that's my home

Yeah

But I bet you didn't have three outside children and another wife, as he did, now did you?

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

Nearest that I can get is that I had a great-grandfather living in London's docklands, who got away with bigamy....(at least we can't find any record of criminal proceedings, info. gleaned from census and other records. and hoping that two and two really do make four!.

Also, taking a lead from Edwardian's Castle Aching, ---perhaps  L.M.'s tidal creek is concealed in the folds of the map. 

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Metropolitan H said:

?? - Even before Peterborough was cut off from Northants in the 1960s, it was still a good 25 - 30 mile from Northants to the nearest point on the Wash - even though you could get there - eventually - by way of the Muddle & Go Nowhere!

Having said that I can remember seeing the coastal Sailing Barges - Loading / Unloading - at the mill just north of Peterborough East, in the 1950s/60s.

Regards

Chris H

It was a vaguely humourous comment based upon the favourite seaside haunts of the inhabitants of places such as Northampton or Leicester back in the 1930s.

The nearest / most popular destinations by train being Skegness, Sheringham, Great Yarmouth, rather than some statement of geographical fact.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2