Little Muddle

KNP

They look absolutely great, the subdued black really works well. 

I've found the GPVs that I have, yet another distraction from layout building!

I hope that you won't mind if I use your completed wagons as a yardstick. 

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

Just now, MrWolf said:

They look absolutely great, the subdued black really works well. 

I've found the GPVs that I have, yet another distraction from layout building!

I hope that you won't mind if I use your completed wagons as a yardstick. 

Not a problem, I searched the web myself to get ideas and check a few concerns.

Remember in peacetime only a maximum of 5 vans where allowed in any one freight train and would be put at the end well away from the loco.

Normally there would be a couple vans between them and the guards van as well.

Do hope you are not blaming me for lack of layout building!!!!

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Not at all, I'm blaming myself for a lack of layout progress because I have always liked building wagons! 

I'll only be using two GPVs, the iron Minks will be keeping their original purpose as general goods wagons. 

Good point about the barrier wagons, the GPVs will always run in the midst of a six or seven vehicle goods train, headed for my fictional quarry / WD sidings at Purslow.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Old fashioned woodworking machinery had little in the way of guarding. The stuff we used at school was virtually identical to what we might have seen in the workplace. Many of the woodwork teachers had been apprentice trained before going into teaching. 

Today's schools have utterly dumbed down practical lessons. Why train children for practical tasks? Are they going off at sixteen to get a job in China? There is no machinery anymore, save probably a belt sander the kids scrub nice poisonous bits of MDF upon, even the old drilling machines have been replaced by Christmas cracker items from Machine Mart.

Nowadays, teachers have all their digits and can only think I.T. because they have never done anything but school, university and back to school. The ones I trained with couldn't change a flat tyre if their lives depended upon it. :scratchhead:

It used to be you could estimate how long a saw mill worker had been in the job by how many fingers were still there. 

I was lucky we lived with my grandparents. My Grandfather was a very practical man self taught about 5 or 6  i was learning how to mix mortar or concrete.

I was not well behaved at school and left to take an apprenticeship. I soon learned that you would be welcomed by the men if you were prepared to have real go at doing things.

We bought old cottages that needed things done and learnt how to do things.

Of course you started with hand tools before you got anywhere near power tools and safety was part and parcel of it all.

Don 

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Common sense is a major part of learning.  I started out building bicycles out of bits from the dump and wooden go karts, moving on to motorcycles and cars. I learned joinery proper when I got my first house and my artistic training gave me the ability to put ideas onto paper.

I learned to use a lathe and other machine tools when still at school to make odds and ends I needed and buying a restoration project car at 16 meant that I needed to learn to weld.

I find it ridiculous that there's young people leaving school that can't even tie their shoelaces, let alone read and write. 

Common sense? That seems to have been neatly shifted to someone else's "duty of care".

• Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Sandhole said:

Why did old-school woodwork teachers have digits missing?
The old scrote who taught woodwork at Hulme Grammar in the 60's had two pieces of fingers missing.
Worrying!

9 hours ago, Denbridge said:

My old woodwork teacher also had part of two fingers missing. in his case it happened during his time in the Royal Engineers. 

At my school it wasn't just the woodwork teachers. Many had suffered by being maimed during the war - some mentally more than physically..

• Friendly/supportive 9

I remember my father telling me how his grammar school maths teacher used to jam his left hand into his waistcoat pocket when it would start trembling as a result of being tortured by the Japanese.

• Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

I remember my father telling me how his grammar school maths teacher used to jam his left hand into his waistcoat pocket when it would start trembling as a result of being tortured by the Japanese.

His teacher's name wasn't F E Smith by any chance?

• Informative/Useful 1

I don't remember and my father is no longer around to ask. He taught at Loughborough Grammar in the early 'fifties. There was another teacher named Iliffe who it was said had had his hand nailed to a sleeper on the Burma railway as a punishment. 

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

I don't remember and my father is no longer around to ask. He taught at Loughborough Grammar in the early 'fifties. There was another teacher named Iliffe who it was said had had his hand nailed to a sleeper on the Burma railway as a punishment. 

Different school, different man, same affliction.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Sandhole said:

Why did old-school woodwork teachers have digits missing?
The old scrote who taught woodwork at Hulme Grammar in the 60's had two pieces of fingers missing.
Worrying!

I well remember my woodwork teacher showing us how to use a planer and promptly losing the top of his thumb as he reached over the rotating blades for the push stick, his final words to us as he rushed out the door where 'dont do what I just did!'

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Common sense is a major part of learning.  I started out building bicycles out of bits from the dump and wooden go karts, moving on to motorcycles and cars. I learned joinery proper when I got my first house and my artistic training gave me the ability to put ideas onto paper.

I learned to use a lathe and other machine tools when still at school to make odds and ends I needed and buying a restoration project car at 16 meant that I needed to learn to weld.

I find it ridiculous that there's young people leaving school that can't even tie their shoelaces, let alone read and write. 

Common sense? That seems to have been neatly shifted to someone else's "duty of care".

I currently have a 19 year old apprentice with me who had no idea how to put a drill bit in a cordless drill! Let a lone drill a hole promptly dropped the SDS when it started on the wall and broke my last 5.5mm bit ....

At least he's learning from his mistakes, as I told him the person who never made a mistake never did anything

• Like 1
  • Agree 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

8 minutes ago, Nevermakeit said:

Which brick papers did you use for the platform face please? It looks like the right pattern for what I would like to do. 

Scalescenes Aged Red Brick TX06.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Dolly: "What should we do if that gunpowder van blows up?"

Molly: "I think that you're supposed to jump 200 feet in the air and scatter bits of yourself around the village..."

Dolly: "What should we do if that gunpowder van blows up?"

Molly: "I don't think you'll need to worry about doing anything if that happens, dear".

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, KNP said:

But still no one claimed that umbrella?

Don't worry, Mary blimming Poppins will be back for it toot sweet.

Edited by Gedward
Editing copy and typos
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, KNP said:

Psst....Alfie old chap

Are you sure you wont to smoke that ciggy?

Have you looked behind you?

3752.jpg.c967840f855ea93c5bd8cddf31dc16d6.jpg

Dolly and Molly seem oblivious of the peril though, they've more concerned about getting the Sunday roast sorted.....

Just out of interest is gunpowder now a new way to carry out deep sea fishing...?

• Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1