Little Muddle

KNP

No it didn’t, just joking as it would have disturbed the wife watching the telly downstairs as we would have probably joined her via the floor!!!

The one seen is finished and coated in Dullcote, the other one with the missing X is on the work bench waiting to be completed.

Saying that both now have their S & W couplings fitted.

• Like 9

Did gunpowder wagons typically travel in mixed rakes like these? I have an image of them being the 'nuclear flasks' of their day, on dedicated trains (or at least military only), but as smarter Spanish waiters than me have said: I know nothing.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, ed1234 said:

Did gunpowder wagons typically travel in mixed rakes like these? I have an image of them being the 'nuclear flasks' of their day, on dedicated trains (or at least military only), but as smarter Spanish waiters than me have said: I know nothing.

Marshalling 'back in the day' was very straightforward (but we are talking about commercial explosives).  Ideallya bit nearer the middle of the train if other marshalling requirements allowed but perfectly ok marshalled like that.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold

Just how commonly would they be seen in the 1930s?  I'm asking because although I'd love to build one or two for my layout, I can't see there having been much demand for gunpowder in Chuffnell Regis...

I also recently bought a shunter's truck because I liked the look of it, before realising that I had no place for it, so I have some form here :)

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Just how commonly would they be seen in the 1930s?  I'm asking because although I'd love to build one or two for my layout, I can't see there having been much demand for gunpowder in Chuffnell Regis...

I also recently bought a shunter's truck because I liked the look of it, before realising that I had no place for it, so I have some form here :)

Don't forget that most long distance travel was still done on the railways - motor transport was in it's infancy, and the road networks were still mostly in poor condition. The Railway Companies were the "common carrier" and therefore obligated to take anything, anywhere. Explosives were used in the mining, quarrying, and construction industries, all of which were widespread, so I would imagine these wagons were quite a common sight.

Al.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5