Little Muddle

KNP

Colin

Good idea as it does seem a bit light so I'll add some inside the cab.

Did try to reply to your PM but it didn't go?

Kevin,

I deleted the PM about the Toad when I realised yours was from Oxford. If you have my link that should still be relevant WRT the weight locations. I like the low profile lead wheel weights that we can still get here in Aus from older vehicles but the Fe ones will do, just can't cut them to fit. 

Will repeat PM with additions

Colin

• RMweb Gold

Colin

Good idea as it does seem a bit light so I'll add some inside the cab.

Did try to reply to your PM but it didn't go?

Perhaps a few white metal figures could give you enough weight- a couple of off- duty guards getting a lift home huddled around the stove with a mug of tea laced with scotch to see the new year in......

Perhaps a few white metal figures could give you enough weight- a couple of off- duty guards getting a lift home huddled around the stove with a mug of tea laced with scotch to see the new year in......

Good idea.

I must say I was quite surprised how much weight was added to the autocoach with 11 people so any spare might be 'chucked' in there!!!

Guards van update.

Belated discovery that the lug I referred to (red arrow) where in fact the ends of the buffer stock and they do come out - see green arrow.
When removed they allow the body just to lift off with a bit of jingling....

IMG_3554a.jpg.848ae75eccbd8ff709280c29ced1c482.jpg

Mine where held in place with paint and I can only assume that it was still wet when they where fitted!

It wasn't till I was weathering one when it moved I realised that they hadn't been glued.

A bit of pushing with a flat blade screwdriver on the inside of the body and they popped out.

Edited by KNP

Very nice Kevin, I do like the Roof streaking, superb mate.

Thanks.

I've just realised I've forgotten the handrails..........................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by KNP

There you go.....

1140.JPG.cd93547a7e9863113c690b7f9a27e69e.JPG

All sorted, a bit of dirty black wash added at fixing points (other side is done as well, just in case you thought I was cheating...!!!!)

Edited by KNP
  • Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Kevin that middle window on the back is wrong it should be a door to access the lamp bracket Oxford scanned the AA 3 at Didcot with a double glazed unit in the aperture

staff members kip in it over the week-ends and they must have tried to make it snug.  :toclue:

On 29/12/2017 at 15:21, 81C said:

Kevin that middle window on the back is wrong it should be a door to access the lamp bracket Oxford scanned the AA 3 at Didcot with a double glazed unit in the aperture

staff members kip in it over the week-ends and they must have tried to make it snug.  :toclue:

Well that is interesting as when I was working on it I thought it looked odd and a little 'modern' along with the door at the other end.....! The frame seemed heavy.

Like this.....

GWRToad.jpg.73ac35ca0d90ab89d7fb0e8eb9219c02.jpg

I assume the door opened inwards and was solid planking?

Edited by KNP
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The opening window in the end is referred to as a lamp hatch, it's purpose being to allow the guard access to the rear lamp bracket for when the van was running balcony leading, which was about half the time.  A window is correct for this early van, but not this window; later types had the opening boarded or planked in, but it could still be opened.  The side windows opened inwards as well, in frames swinging towards the van sides where they could be hooked back. which must have been welcome on hot days and a source of draughts the rest of the time.  The door from the balcony opens inwards IIRC, and can be hooked back to stop it swinging about and banging shut on the guard's fingers. The side windows at the balcony end are fixed and cannot be opened.

The Oxford is a classic example of taking the condition of a preserved van as being correct for a van in service, details of which may have changed over time anyway.  GW toads were solidly built and lasted a long time; detail variations are rife.

Edited by The Johnster

A nice selection of photos but being a pedant, some anachronisms bother me.  A few posts ago, you mentioned your pilot using a Hasselblad - a camera that was only developed in the 1940s - and now we have Tannoy, who only started making PA systems in the early years of WW2.

It's the railway that matters though :)

Happy New Year

• RMweb Premium

True to his word Ken arrived and took his pictures.

Well, you can see the difference in composition - the Yard Master just 'parked' the trains whilst Ken 'arranged' them.

attachicon.gif1144.jpg

attachicon.gif1143.jpg

attachicon.gif1145.jpg

attachicon.gif1146.jpg

I then asked him about the 'Hogwarts steps', he just laughed and sent me a picture of them and said it would be self-explanatory....

He did remark that he was one of the few photographers that wore a parachute when on terra firma!

attachicon.gifIMG_3566.JPG

Yes.......I can see why now!

Now I really must get on with the coupling loop for the Guards van?

In the new Paddington 2 film, which we watched yesterday, Paddington has a nifty retractable ladder as part of his window-cleaning gear. No spoilers, but there are a lot of trains in the second half of the film too.

In the new Paddington 2 film, which we watched yesterday, Paddington has a nifty retractable ladder as part of his window-cleaning gear. No spoilers, but there are a lot of trains in the second half of the film too.

I have seen the film, twice in fact, and I know exactly what you are on about.....!!!!!!

No spoilers from me either.

• Like 1