Little Muddle

KNP

• RMweb Premium

Are these model railways ever finished is a question I have asked myself numerous times over the years.

The answer I believe is no......

Thanks

As Cyril Freezer used to say, a model railway can be complete but never finished.

• Like 2

Following on from a comment made by one of the readers, MikeOxon, I thought I would have a go and see what the difference would be by not using the Post Focus process................................

..........................................................................I shall keep messing about trying to achieve that ultimate picture we all strive for.

It's amazing how much we learn by 'messing about' - or call it 'experimental research'.  Good luck with your quest.  I'm enjoying your pics already :)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thank you, Kevin, for your patience in explaining the techniques you use to get such stunning results in your modelling during the past year. I have enjoyed the show and look forward to more- a model railway must never be finished! Here’s to a Merry Christmas and a Wonderful 1935.

• Like 2

Thank you, Kevin, for your patience in explaining the techniques you use to get such stunning results in your modelling during the past year. I have enjoyed the show and look forward to more- a model railway must never be finished! Here’s to a Merry Christmas and a Wonderful 1935.

Many thanks for your support and kind words over the short time this topic has been live.

I have enjoyed it immensely and strange how this website seems to have got a life of it's own, I appear to have 3 hobbies now - model railway, photography and this website......

Long may they all continue I say.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to yourself as well.

• Like 5

Final set of Andy Y pictures which are a repeat of earlier ones but with smoke added.

attachicon.gifFeature_3_smoke1.jpg

attachicon.gifFeature_5_smoke1.jpg

attachicon.gifFeature_10_smoke1.jpg

attachicon.gifFeature_19_smoke1.jpg

attachicon.gifFeature_23_smoke1.jpg

attachicon.gifFeature_26_smoke1.jpg

One thing these pictures do highlight is how much better these models look with crew and some sign of life about the layout.

Fantastic pictures yet again Kevin, Merry Christmas and best wishes for 2018.

• Like 1

...............I appear to have 3 hobbies now - model railway, photography and this website......

Some people separate 'photo editing' as a separate hobby in its own right, so you could score 4 :)   It's a long slippery slope, though - once your engines are 'in steam', you can't leave their footplates unattended! 

Another thought: you could always use your Post Focus technique and then add selective blur to the background, with post-processing :devil:

• Like 1

Some people separate 'photo editing' as a separate hobby in its own right, so you could score 4 :)   It's a long slippery slope, though - once your engines are 'in steam', you can't leave their footplates unattended! 

Another thought: you could always use your Post Focus technique and then add selective blur to the background, with post-processing :devil:

I think you might be right especially as I have asked Father Christmas for the Serif Affinity handbook - rumour has it, he has agreed.......!!!!!!

A sort of reverse post focus, getting everything in focus and then deciding what doesn't need to be - interesting concept???

:O  :scratchhead:

Merry Christmas

Edited by KNP
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

You can leave engines in steam unattended so long as they are in centre gear and the handbrake is firmly applied.  Failure to adhere strictly to this can lead to problems, as discovered in the early 70s by a friend of mine, Tommy Rees, a loco fitter at Nantgarw NCB.  He was known as Tommy Horizontal there because of his habit of 'resting his eyes' on nights.  One night, he had finished doing some work on the reverser of one of the plant's Hunslets, which was raising steam for the morning's duty, and inadvertently left the loco in gear; he did not check that the regulator was closed, either.  Luckily, the cabin he used for eye resting was at the side of the shed, not behind the back wall, as when he woke up the Hunslet had made a break for the border and demolished it, providing a shed open at both ends and an unusually large vehicle in the car park with what looked like a bunker full of bricks...

This was the end of his NCB career.

• Like 1

You can leave engines in steam unattended so long as they are in centre gear and the handbrake is firmly applied.  Failure to adhere strictly to this can lead to problems, as discovered in the early 70s by a friend of mine, Tommy Rees, a loco fitter at Nantgarw NCB.  He was known as Tommy Horizontal there because of his habit of 'resting his eyes' on nights.  One night, he had finished doing some work on the reverser of one of the plant's Hunslets, which was raising steam for the morning's duty, and inadvertently left the loco in gear; he did not check that the regulator was closed, either.  Luckily, the cabin he used for eye resting was at the side of the shed, not behind the back wall, as when he woke up the Hunslet had made a break for the border and demolished it, providing a shed open at both ends and an unusually large vehicle in the car park with what looked like a bunker full of bricks...

This was the end of his NCB career.

Thank you for help over this year and wishing you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

• RMweb Gold

Whilst waiting for the children to arrive I thought I would post the remaining pictures I took yesterday, saved for today.....

attachicon.gif1132.JPG

attachicon.gif1133.JPG

attachicon.gif1134.JPG

attachicon.gif1135.JPG

Straight from the camera with no editing.....

I’m finding a little difficult to focus today - there must have been some booze in those mince pies..........

I have no idea how I have missed this! Stunning modelling, so convincing and natural. I'm on page 6 so far! As usual, very late to the party.

Many thanks and enjoy the journey.

More pictures planned and now I have the Serif Affinity handbook who knows what will be posted as I master more of the techniques - take a while though as it's over 450 pages long but it does have some useful card pullouts that show what each keyboard key can do - that will save some time I can tell you!!!!

• Like 4

Father Christmas paid me a visit and look what he left me from my daughter......(how did she know I wonder?)

post-8925-0-30823900-1514367728_thumb.jpg

Though this picture of the underside shows what a battle it is going to be to fit the S&W couplings I use without spoiling to much of the frame detail

post-8925-0-81282300-1514367740_thumb.jpg

Then my ever practical son heard me mention I will needed to replace some of my Lifecolor rail weathering kit and hey presto

post-8925-0-81259300-1514367750_thumb.jpg

If you are going to get your first weathering kit this to my mind this is the best one to start with as you can use it just about everywhere - buildings, roads, people, track, rolling stock, fingers!

Well it beats socks and hankies!!!!!

• Like 16

I have a new pair of 2x magnifying clip on lenses for my glasses and I have a feeling I should have taken the plastic film off them first?

1136.jpg.37901bb5e599ac550cc48cd8057893fa.jpg

........either that or there was way too much brandy in the brandy butter!!!!

Edited by KNP
  • Like 10

Well, that didn't take long before I had it in bit's....!!!!

That'll have my daughter commenting - I knew that wouldn't stay in one piece or look new for long??

IMG_3554.JPG.70586427a03cb7dc211366a9b32279e0.JPG

Came apart very easily, wheels out first, then brake gear just popped out of lugs with a little bending (very flexible plastic).

Couplings just pulled out of housing and then with a slight twisting with a small flat blade to release clips (see red arrows) holding main body from the frame, undid the two screws which separates the floor from the frame thereby releasing the weight held between the two.

The only bit of cutting with a thin knife blade was to remove the glazing.....

Now to make it look used.......

Still mulling over coupling but my current thinking is to just install a wire loop as most of the time it will be coupled to wagons. It will just mean I can't pull with a loco as they are just loops as well but if needed a flat bed/shunting wagon could be imployed.

Edited by KNP
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Kevin the handrails pop out with care on those toads if you are going to paint it, I've x2 6 wheelers to be finished and I've just open a present with a  4 wheeler and a Hornby AA 15 I can now put all my old Airfix/Dapol 

one's out to seed.

BTW those photo's are stunning and Andy takes a good picture too. 

Kevin the handrails pop out with care on those toads if you are going to paint it, I've x2 6 wheelers to be finished and I've just open a present with a  4 wheeler and a Hornby AA 15 I can now put all my old Airfix/Dapol 

one's out to seed.

BTW those photo's are stunning and Andy takes a good picture too. 

I'll have another look, as when I gently tried to push them out they didn't seem to want to budge.

I suspect my two old Hornby will also be side lined.

Just been and had a look and they do indeed pull out, two post where glued in around the doorway (both sides) and others stuck by white paint.

All been removed.

Thanks for that, it's make weathering so much easier in that area.

Well, that didn't take long before I had it in bit's....!!!!

That'll have my daughter commenting - I knew that wouldn't stay in one piece or look new for long??

attachicon.gifIMG_3554.JPG

Came apart very easily, wheels out first, then brake gear just popped out of lugs with a little bending (very flexible plastic).

Couplings just pulled out of housing and then with a slight twisting with a small flat blade to release clips (see red arrows) holding main body from the frame, undid the two screws which separates the floor from the frame thereby releasing the weight held between the two.

The only bit of cutting with a thin knife blade was to remove the glazing.....

Now to make it look used.......

Still mulling over coupling but my current thinking is to just install a wire loop as most of the time it will be coupled to wagons. It will just mean I can't pull with a loco as they are just loops as well but if needed a flat bed/shunting wagon could be imployed.

Kevin,

I suggest you add some extra weight before reassembling for better shunting and performance.

This brake should weigh around 65g IMO but it does look as if the Oxford model has a more generous weight than my Bachmanns which as delivered were only 38g and tended to hop off points when being pushed.

PS (edit) can someone tell me when the large high "G W" was replaced by the small low version on the Toads?

Colin

Edited by BWsTrains