RMweb

Cardboard baseboard

just copy the text and paste it into google translator. not much text to translate, and iut is pretty basic. I tend to check up on certain words or phrases, as they are sometimes not obvious.

From my own experience, building to make something lightweight, can result in modules being too big, so they are difficult to store and transport. Inow try to build layouts which are not so prone to damage.

I know, but on a web page Google replaces the text for you! In Firefox anyway.

The sheet of mountboard that's been at the back of my desk for months, waiting to be used, is 33" x 23½". A layout made from two boards that length, and somewhat narrower, shouldn't be a bad size. I'm curious to add it to my list of things to try.

I know, but on a web page Google replaces the text for you! In Firefox anyway.

The sheet of mountboard that's been at the back of my desk for months, waiting to be used, is 33" x 23½". A layout made from two boards that length, and somewhat narrower, shouldn't be a bad size. I'm curious to add it to my list of things to try.

I shall await developments with interest.

I've translated the Bernard Valett's article so have PMd the text to you.

I shall await developments with interest.

I've translated the Bernard Valett's article so have PMd the text to you.

Don't hold your breath. It's at the other end of a very long list!

Thanks.

• 2 months later...

Its been a while but got some updates I have built a few more low relief buildings and replaced the loco shed with something that looks less like a box of beer. Next job will be to take off all the track and buildings paint the back scene, when that is done I can sort the points out going to use the wire in tube method for that.

Its been a while but got some updates I have built a few more low relief buildings and replaced the loco shed with something that looks less like a box of beer. Next job will be to take off all the track and buildings paint the back scene, when that is done I can sort the points out going to use the wire in tube method for that.

Will have another go at attaching my photos.

post-4106-0-00885400-1503437373_thumb.jpg

post-4106-0-84053200-1503437424_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

You will need to be careful when you start to ballast the track. Cardboard and wet don't mix very well. One reason I fix my track to separate thin cardboard first, ballast it, making sure it does not warp, then glue it all down when it is dry.

You will need to be careful when you start to ballast the track. Cardboard and wet don't mix very well. One reason I fix my track to separate thin cardboard first, ballast it, making sure it does not warp, then glue it all down when it is dry.

I sealed mine first, which then makes it waterproof,

you can use mat varnish, floor seal, or even PVA.

There's no reason why a card baseboard can't be a strong structure if its well designed. 

A few weeks ago I was at Loco-Revue's 80th anniversary Trainsmania exhibition in Lille where they were launching their Train'in Box complete layout kit. This uses pre cut corrugated card (die cut I assume),  to build the layout's 1m x1.1m baseboard (39 x 43 inch) which also forms the basic structure for scenery as well as the trackbase. .

attachicon.gifTrain'in Box box.jpgattachicon.gifTrain'in Box 1.jpgattachicon.gifTrain'in Box 2.jpgattachicon.gifTrain'in Box scenic base.jpg

The aim is to bridge the gap between the train set and the "proper" layout so absolutely everything needed to build a first layout using quality products, from track (Peco)  and power unit to  groundcover, trees and buildings (card kits some of which are already in LR Modelisme's catalogue ) and even PVA glue comes in the box.

OK, the results won't exactly be Pempoul - which was a also at Trainsmania-   but the idea is that a beginner or perhaps a family following the instructions will learn the whole range of basic model railway skills.

At the show they had two or three modellers attempting to build layouts  -it comes in four regional options- from opening the box to completed layout using only what was in the box over the two and a half days of the show.  

I was only there on the Friday afternoon and Satuday morning so I don't know if they succeeded by the Sunday close. I'll be folllowing this innovative idea with interest (and looking again at the wine boxes I brought back from France once they're empty (hic!!)

According to the June Loco-Revue they did succeed, just. It was a team from the Lille MRC working on one layout not the several I'd thought (I think it was an open challenge but they were presumably the only group that rose to it) Apart from water they were only supposed to use what came in the box (though I did spot a palette knife) According to the magazine's write-up, the only disappointment they encountered was ballasting with PVA without a wetting agent. Obviously every home has washing up liquid but clearly not the middle of a large model railway exhibtion when you're working against the clock.

I sealed mine first, which then makes it waterproof,

you can use mat varnish, floor seal, or even PVA.

Warping of the cardboard bottom of my boxfile layout was a concern of mine when I came to ballast the track. Instead of water/PVA I used neat Pledge Multi-surface polish. This soaks in instantly as it is very 'wet', dried quickly, fixed the ballast in place very well without going rock hard and didn't cause any warping. Smells nice too!

• 3 weeks later...

One way of avoiding excessive wetting of the cardboard base would be to use the Gaugemaster ballasted foam underlay. 

Another solution would be to use inlayed track such as  Kato or Proffi as it does give a very firm track bed.

Admittedly this is not a cheap solution but if buying new for micro project it also has the added advantage of being readily salvageable for the next project.