Stone train derailment - Westbury to Castle Cary line

Is it me, or are we getting to a stage were there appears to be more and more derailments?

Andy G

I think it's you!  Actually, I suspect that, when local news is quiet, the BBC/ other news suppliers tend to pick up on such things, where they wouldn't normally bother. My wife's been involved in a study of freight derailments recently, and, having read some of her notes, it's noticeable how relatively infrequent they are. 

• RMweb Premium

I can think of two round here in the last year or so, wagons off in the yard in Lynn, and the RHTT off the road on the junction to the MNR....

Then the road split on the way to Southampton docks, under a passenger carrying special.

Andy G

I can think of two round here in the last year or so, wagons off in the yard in Lynn, and the RHTT off the road on the junction to the MNR....

Then the road split on the way to Southampton docks, under a passenger carrying special.

Andy G

Ones within yards weren't included in the study; they've always been more frequent, and I'm certain are often not even reported. What was noticeable was how certain locations seemed to have had several over a period of some years.

• RMweb Gold

GW West Country trains will go via Bristol but many passengers are likely to switch to the Southern route if they get the chance.

I hope SWT strengthen their Exeter formations fairly sharpish. Otherwise their services will be in full cattle truck mode by this afternoon.

John

Most of the damage is on the branch, and on the points where the branch joins the Up Westbury. The Down Westbury is usable, but is being used for recovery purposes at present. A crane has been sent from Springs Branch, Wigan, via Wembley, and should arrive this morning. Six wagons of the 38 were derailed; the first wagon derailed stayed upright, three derailed and are leaning over and two are on their sides. Looking at Quail, SLW won't be easy, as the nearest crossover to the west is a trailing one at Castle Cary.

• RMweb Gold

Most of the damage is on the branch, and on the points where the branch joins the Up Westbury. The Down Westbury is usable, but is being used for recovery purposes at present. A crane has been sent from Springs Branch, Wigan, via Wembley, and should arrive this morning. Six wagons of the 38 were derailed; the first wagon derailed stayed upright, three derailed and are leaning over and two are on their sides. Looking at Quail, SLW won't be easy, as the nearest crossover to the west is a trailing one at Castle Cary.

It'll be a very impressive crane if it can lift some of those wagons on its own - 100 tonnes loaded so even one end will be quite a lift and the capsized ones won't be completely empty.

And a touch of deja vu about the location -

https://www.gov.uk/raib-reports/derailment-of-two-locomotives-at-east-somerset-junction

I doubt anyone will bother with SLW - local trains can be covered easily with 'buses between Westbury/Frome and Castle Cary and you can't get stone trains off the Branch with the Up Main blocked so that's that until the Main Lines are reopened.

GW West Country trains will go via Bristol but many passengers are likely to switch to the Southern route if they get the chance.

I hope SWT strengthen their Exeter formations fairly sharpish. Otherwise their services will be in full cattle truck mode by this afternoon.

John

I can't understand why they should unless they were going to travel to/join at Westbury or Castle Cary.  The time cost of diverting via Bristol is about 20 minutes at worst with a decent path and even the train which came up this morning via Bristol then calling at Trowbridge and Pewsey was only about 30 minutes later than normal booked time into Paddington while the 05.30 Plymouth was only 6 late into Padd on its normal booked time.  Things could obviously get worse if sets start to miss their balance and one up train was much later than its normal booking (40+ minutes) so would seem to have had a poor path.

• RMweb Gold

I'd reckon on them removing the loads on all six wagons before trying to move them; I wonder if the 'Railvac' could do such a job? The Springs Branch crane is 'only' a 75-tonner, so would only be able to lift the wagons when they'd been emptied.

The problem they potentially face (although it might be an advantage) is that the wagons have tipped towards the embankment so the contents could possibly be emptied in that direction provided they're clear of the building (which is further east than the wagons shown in the NR photo).  It also depends what material was in the wagons of course - if it was scalpings it could be something of a game trying to clear up the mess whereas chippings would be relatively easy.

Unfortunately they won't have what we got at Westbury South back in the 1970s when an HTV loaded with chippings finished up upside down and the entire load vanished into the muddy gunge beneath the track - nota  trace of it left!

• RMweb Premium

The problem they potentially face (although it might be an advantage) is that the wagons have tipped towards the embankment so the contents could possibly be emptied in that direction provided they're clear of the building (which is further east than the wagons shown in the NR photo).  It also depends what material was in the wagons of course - if it was scalpings it could be something of a game trying to clear up the mess whereas chippings would be relatively easy.

Unfortunately they won't have what we got at Westbury South back in the 1970s when an HTV loaded with chippings finished up upside down and the entire load vanished into the muddy gunge beneath the track - nota  trace of it left!

However stone is hardly a major environmental hazard is it? As such dumping it down the bank is entirely feasible if doable and if it represents the quickest way of clearing up the mess so the line can be reopened.

• RMweb Gold

I think again a local farmer is going to benefit from 600 tonne of stone very soon. Pics good for underframe detailing !

Yesterday the diverted off route down 1C89 GW service to PNZ running 30 minutes late through Bristol was given priority over booked route 10 late 1V62 so I think passengers going west on GW services will continue to get the favoured service from NR. Mind you 1V62 only late due following from GCR - BRI a one engined GW two car sprinter despite three places to loop it. 

Hopefully with a bit of luck a quick safe recovery and speedy rectification over next few days lines will reopen.

Incident not helped due to a fatality at Cam and Dursley on 1E73 - 111 minute delay casuing a bit of overload in Swindon control. Several XC trains additionally via  Severn tunnel last night adding to the late running mix into Devon. Not the best of days.     

Robert 

However stone is hardly a major environmental hazard is it? As such dumping it down the bank is entirely feasible if doable and if it represents the quickest way of clearing up the mess so the line can be reopened.

Whilst it may not be a major envirionmental hazard, four hundred or so tonnes of stone is a fairly substantial amount to dispose of, and could cause serious problems to drainage in the immediate area.

• RMweb Premium

Whilst it may not be a major envirionmental hazard, four hundred or so tonnes of stone is a fairly substantial amount to dispose of, and could cause serious problems to drainage in the immediate area.

But unlike say containers, oil or some other commodities there is no immediate imperative to shift it and if some of it gets left behind its no big deal. Yes it might block a drainage ditch say, but a new one can always be dug to get round the blockage in the short term.

• RMweb Gold

Especially if it's scalpings - once they', compacted under their own weight water has difficulty draining through them. (sorry - hadn't read SS's comment)

But unlike say containers, oil or some other commodities there is no immediate imperative to shift it and if some of it gets left behind its no big deal. Yes it might block a drainage ditch say, but a new one can always be dug to get round the blockage in the short term.

Ah, the hole at Witham (as it then was).  One day, and I'm not entirely sure how it was noticed, of of the tank cars on the Tivvy tanks (Fawley - Tiverton Jcn) was found to be leaking and the train was duly shunted inside at Witham.

The local fire brigade arrived and found that there was indeed a small trickle of product leaking from a bottom valve on one of the tanks so they duly put a bucket under the drip, eased the sealing cap back a bit and then re-tightened it and no more product came out.  Declaring themselves satisfied that all was well the brigade then agreed the train could proceed but were left with a bucket containing at least a gallon of the once leaking product.  They decided the best thing to do was dig a hole and bury it as that would be safer than simply emptying the bucket - so they dug a hole about 18 inches deep and poured the petrol into it.  Being petrol it vanished almost as fast as it was poured into the hole so they backfilled and carefully tamped it down spreading plenty of stone dust (as good as scalpings for making a seal) over the top and left the scene.  The smell cleared within a day or so but a  few nearby weeds died off not long after.

• RMweb Gold

I think again a local farmer is going to benefit from 600 tonne of stone very soon. Pics good for underframe detailing !

Yesterday the diverted off route down 1C89 GW service to PNZ running 30 minutes late through Bristol was given priority over booked route 10 late 1V62 so I think passengers going west on GW services will continue to get the favoured service from NR. Mind you 1V62 only late due following from GCR - BRI a one engined GW two car sprinter despite three places to loop it. 

Hopefully with a bit of luck a quick safe recovery and speedy rectification over next few days lines will reopen.

Incident not helped due to a fatality at Cam and Dursley on 1E73 - 111 minute delay casuing a bit of overload in Swindon control. Several XC trains additionally via  Severn tunnel last night adding to the late running mix into Devon. Not the best of days.     

Robert 

With the extra running time via Bristol, if the delayed down trains don't get a run, they aren't in place for the return working and everything falls apart.

Signalman's proverb: the next best thing to having everything on-time is having everything late by the same amount; that way the WTT still works.

John  

I remember being told about pollution being caused in Garforth by oil leaking from passing trains. There is a small beck that is mostly culverted over but for a bit of its length is exposed by the Main Street. It always looked incredibly oily and unwholesome and I remember being told that they had tried to trace back the source of the pollution. It was supposedly determined it was coming from the railway which must have been a good half mile away.

• RMweb Gold

I can't understand why they should unless they were going to travel to/join at Westbury or Castle Cary.  The time cost of diverting via Bristol is about 20 minutes at worst with a decent path and even the train which came up this morning via Bristol then calling at Trowbridge and Pewsey was only about 30 minutes later than normal booked time into Paddington while the 05.30 Plymouth was only 6 late into Padd on its normal booked time.  Things could obviously get worse if sets start to miss their balance and one up train was much later than its normal booking (40+ minutes) so would seem to have had a poor path.

But as the day wears on, the extra running time can cause delays to snowball and some people will plump for greater predictability, albeit probably more Pad-Exeter customers than in the up direction unless things got really bad.

GW tickets are being accepted by SWT but, looking out the window, train formations seem to be normal.

John

• RMweb Gold

But as the day wears on, the extra running time can cause delays to snowball and some people will plump for greater predictability, albeit probably more Pad-Exeter customers than in the up direction unless things got really bad.

GW tickets are being accepted by SWT but, looking out the window, train formations seem to be normal.

John

There appears to be a complete revised timetable in operation judging by RTT so no doubt set balances have been adjusted to suit.

With the extra running time via Bristol, if the delayed down trains don't get a run, they aren't in place for the return working and everything falls apart.

Signalman's proverb: the next best thing to having everything on-time is having everything late by the same amount; that way the WTT still works.

John  

The time penalty for running via Bristol is actually not so great, suspect the main problem will be getting slots in the timetable rather than the extra distance involved.

Some of the Paignton trains are routed via Bristol anyway and comparison of timings for one so routed and another routed via Westbury, with similar number of stops, shows the via Bristol train needing just ten minutes extra to arrive in Exeter.

Dare one say it, a WoE service given a fast run via Bristol, over a stopping one via the B&H, might even be faster, given all the 125mph running that's possible the long way round.

Then, whisper it quietly, but after the HSTs were first introduced, I believe BR even considered sending most of the WoE services via Bristol so as not to waste their 125 mph capability and, at the time, maybe do better business that way.

Maybe an idea whose time will come again once the wires reach somewhere near Bristol but nowhere near Westbury.

Archived