The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

And the next photo will have...(real railway version)

NorthBrit

• RMweb Gold

newbryford asked for that in #807, but here is my only other example

attachicon.gif46122 Royal Ulster Rifleman Hereford 31 12 53.jpg

Oops not S&C - so ignore this one - unless a Royal Scot on the S&C is a bit too limiting. Let's wait and see!

60021 Pen-y-Ghent asked for "Let's stick with the S&C theme and have a Royal Scot during BR days (pre-preservation) please". This does not mean to say that the Royal Scot  has to be on the Settle to Carlisle. Anyway, being as how I work on the railway and S&C actually means switches and crossings, i can see 2 full switches and 3 full crossings on your photo, so it is your turn as far a I can see to make your choice as to what the next one should be.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

60021 Pen-y-Ghent asked for "Let's stick with the S&C theme and have a Royal Scot during BR days (pre-preservation) please". This does not mean to say that the Royal Scot  has to be on the Settle to Carlisle. Anyway, being as how I work on the railway and S&C actually means switches and crossings, i can see 2 full switches and 3 full crossings on your photo, so it is your turn as far a I can see to make your choice as to what the next one should be.

Thanks for that interpretation! Perhaps we could look for a Scottish steam loco in BR days?

Edited by phil_sutters

• RMweb Gold

being as how I work on the railway and S&C actually means switches and crossings

that confused the hell out of me after i started with colas as they were always refering to the S+C tampers and i thought "blimey they have a lot of machines just for the settle and carlisle line" took me a while to figurout what they meant

• RMweb Gold

that confused the hell out of me after i started with colas as they were always refering to the S+C tampers and i thought "blimey they have a lot of machines just for the settle and carlisle line" took me a while to figurout what they meant

I am glad I am not the only one confused! Sometimes those in the know assume everyone has the same level of knowledge and use abbreviations which are not in general use.

>   Perhaps we could look for a Scottish steam loco in BR days?

Here's a J36 on Dunfermline shed, 9th September 1966.

Still in steam at the time but not for much longer.

post-11812-0-34297000-1496877816_thumb.jpg

Next, please, a loco showing obvious collision/accident damage & awaiting repair or condemnation.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

These were inside the back of one of Dad's albums, which implies that he hadn't taken them, but he may have. If anyone has copyright issues let me know and we will sort it them out.

post-14351-0-76266500-1496899155_thumb.jpg

post-14351-0-45385900-1496899156_thumb.jpg

Let's cross the sea and see some Irish steam - north or south of the border.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

These were inside the back of one of Dad's albums, which implies that he hadn't taken them, but he may have. If anyone has copyright issues let me know and we will sort it them out.

attachicon.gifby anon LNER 440 67768 The Morpeth 1952.jpg

attachicon.gifby anon LNER 440 67768 The Morpeth c1950.jpg

Let's cross the sea and see some Irish steam - north or south of the border.

1957 : Bray station ,Eire.

Dublin bound train - sorry about resolution, it was taken on my Brownie 127!

Next: a locomotive with a broken buffer please

post-21027-0-76286100-1496927038_thumb.jpg

Edited by Limpley Stoker
  • Like 3

Next: a locomotive with a broken buffer please

Buffers missing, assumed broken - most of the rest of it is!

D6855, Thornton Junction, September 1966 following a disagreement with someone / something.

post-11812-0-01821300-1496934248_thumb.jpg

Don't know for certain but this may have been "the other party"  -  it was just round the corner, alongside the shed.

post-11812-0-46358100-1496934284_thumb.jpg

Next, any Irish narrow gauge?

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Does that count as it is a common domain picture?

e.g. https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Lartigue_Monorail_old_002.jpg

Keith

I thought that the idea was not to go hunting in online sources. I am aware that I am very fortunate in having Dad's albums, as well as my own photos, but there isn't any great challenge in sourcing stuff off the net and it doesn't get people digging in their files and sharing material that is new to the rest of us. As always I am happy to be corrected, if I have misinterpreted the 'rules' of the thread.

• Like 1

Does that count as it is a common domain picture?

e.g. https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Lartigue_Monorail_old_002.jpg

Keith

Unfortunately the picture cannot stand  --

Catalogue/book pictures (white background) from suppliers/manufactures etc and videos are not allowed. See rules at the beginning.

Phil.  The photos you post belong to you , therefore are okay.

• RMweb Premium

Unfortunately the picture cannot stand --

Catalogue/book pictures (white background) from suppliers/manufactures etc and videos are not allowed. See rules at the beginning.

Phil. The photos you post belong to you , therefore are okay.

Having reread the guidelines on the main page, it doesn't state that the photos have to be owned by the poster. Justvthat it can't be a Catalogue/ Book image or video. Can it be clarified where the internet falls into that please? Not being obstructive, just want definite clarification.

Cheers

• RMweb Premium

Having reread the guidelines on the main page, it doesn't state that the photos have to be owned by the poster. Justvthat it can't be a Catalogue/ Book image or video. Can it be clarified where the internet falls into that please? Not being obstructive, just want definite clarification.

Cheers

What's the point of trawling photos off the net?

Anyone can do that and the Lartigue Monorail picture looked familiar to me having seen it whilst reading Wikipedia.

My interpretation is that it can be a picture taken by yourself (or family or friend as in Phil's case) or something you have bought and can't be seen by others elsewhere.

I have some out of copyright pictures in old early 20th Century books which may be viewable elsewhere so wouldn't use them.

Keith

Cheers

Hi Hilux5972 and others.  The rules have been amended.  

Remember everyone, it is only a lighthearted quiz.  If you keep the requests as broad as possible, more people can participate.

• RMweb Premium

What's the point of trawling photos off the net?

Anyone can do that and the Lartigue Monorail picture looked familiar to me having seen it whilst reading Wikipedia.

My interpretation is that it can be a picture taken by yourself (or family or friend as in Phil's case) or something you have bought and can't be seen by others elsewhere.

I have some out of copyright pictures in old early 20th Century books which may be viewable elsewhere so wouldn't use them.

Keith

I was more thinking for overseas people to join in more often since so many of the "next images" are a British request. Noted as has been said, rules have been amended so clearly put now.

Cheers

Buffers missing, assumed broken - most of the rest of it is!

D6855, Thornton Junction, September 1966 following a disagreement with someone / something.

attachicon.gifimg010a 5DH D6855.jpg

Don't know for certain but this may have been "the other party"  -  it was just round the corner, alongside the shed.

attachicon.gifimg012a 42 DMU.jpg

On 30th June 1966 - While bringing 36 wagons of coal up from Methil, the Leven branch main line signal was passed at danger and loco D6855 and train went into the carriage sidings - colliding with DMUs being prepared for the day's duties.  That is a strange victim, SC50611 was a class 108, there weren't many 108s in Scotland in the 1960s and this one had only been transferred from the Eastern Region in March that year!!

Jim

Edited by luckymucklebackit

Now let's see if I can find mi Donegal Railcar pic on the IoM before someone beats me to it. :yes:

Don't hold yer breath folks, can't find it. The joys of pre-digital poorly catalogued photography. :(

On 30th June 1966 - While bringing 36 wagons of coal up from Methil, the Leven branch main line signal was passed at danger and loco D6855 and train went into the carriage sidings - colliding with DMUs being prepared for the day's duties.

Thanks for that information  -  clears up a 50 year mystery for me!

Ever since I took the photos (on 9th September for accuracy) I've wondered on & off what happened.  Now I know.

• Like 1