The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

And the next photo will have...(real railway version)

NorthBrit

Excuse my ignorance, but what is the Portsmouth direct line?  How is it different from the Portsmouth indirect line?

Basically (Waterloo)-Woking-Guildford-Havant-Portsmouth, as opposed to the earlier route via Eastleigh or the LBSCR one.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is the Portsmouth direct line? How is it different from the Portsmouth indirect line?

It's the line via Haslemere. The last of the 3 routes to Portsmouth to be built (not sure if Eastleigh or Chichester were first, but they were both before the direct).

• RMweb Premium

These are elsewhere on the Southern but not sure if they're still there. Pulborough June 2004

rev%20377113%20a%20Pulborough%2025Jun04_

If these are ok then freight (steam, diesel or electric) on the Portsmouth Direct line pls.

Great picture of my local station, but yes, the semaphores are no more - there is a thread somewhere documenting their demise. They are much missed...

Just for completeness, here is a gantry at Littlehampton - taken back in 2013, but I believe still with us.

post-6831-0-18467800-1497210769_thumb.jpg

Portsmouth Direct is the route from Waterloo to Portsmouth via Guildford and Petersfield; as opposed to London - Pompey via Winchester, or the old LBSCR route via Horsham and Chichester.

Re Pulborough, there was a degree of unevenness over that bridge - there was even a speed restriction until fairly recently. It was not apparent when I looked at it about 30 minutes ago (been out and about today).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The first line to Portsmouth seems to have been a branch off the London to Southampton line at Eastleigh, which ended at Gosport, so when the line from Woking to Portsmouth Harbour was built it was known, quite appropriately, as the Portsmouth direct line. All this and much more can be found in Wikipedia if you are so inclined. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portsmouth_Direct_line 

Current challenge - less we forgot why we got onto a bit of history.

then freight (steam, diesel or electric) on the Portsmouth Direct line pls.

Edited by phil_sutters

The first line to Portsmouth seems to have been a branch off the London to Southampton line at Eastleigh, which ended at Gosport, so when the line from Woking to Portsmouth Harbour was built it was known, quite appropriately, as the Portsmouth direct line. All this and much more can be found in Wikipedia if you are so inclined. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portsmouth_Direct_line 

Current challenge - less we forgot why we got onto a bit of history.

then freight (steam, diesel or electric) on the Portsmouth Direct line pls.

Ok, well this is a photo of 7828 at Woking, and the headcode is 73 which I understand to be a Waterloo to Porstmouth all stations service; so I think this must fit the request.

post-4474-0-94015200-1497256188_thumb.jpg

And next, to further my limited knowledge of SR routes, can we have any train on the Quarry Line please?

• RMweb Premium

Freight operated along the Portsmouth direct until fairly recently - the Fawley to Alton fuel tanks ran until about 2015(?). Unfortunately I never managed to get to see it, let alone get any photographs. To be honest, apart from this, there probably wasn't much in the way of freight since the early 70s, aside from engineering stuff and the odd train between Guildford and Shalford (turning onto the North Downs line to Redhill).

• RMweb Gold

But...... Doesn't post 1056 ask for a train on the Quarry Line?

Only while supplying an inappropriate passenger train, when a freight had been asked for. Mind you even that challenge hadn't really been properly won, as the Pulborough signals aren't in current use, although as that was my challenge I let it through!

Perhaps a wildcard is in order - but it's not up to me.

• RMweb Premium

Okay, as we are nearly at the 24 hour mark, I will put up a semi wildcard.

post-6831-0-97433000-1497289327.jpg

66131 heads an engineering train at the northern end of the Quarry line at Stoat's Nest junction - December 2013.

Next up, another location with animal connections.

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifbirdbrook essex.jpg

Birdbrook station in Essex

Next, a passenger train on the Woodhead route.

When you say "Woodhead route" do you mean the 1500V dc Manchester, Sheffield and Wath railway in which case, I offer something that you probably didn't expect.

post-7024-0-55890700-1497294921_thumb.jpg

A colour photo of a green diesel loco please.

I've just found another snap of the loco and it appears to be an LCGB Midlander Rail Tour.

Edited by 96701
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

How about a Class 91 in one of the promotional vinyls that EC and VTEC seemed to love.

91101 Flying Scotsman

post-408-0-60893400-1497301246_thumb.jpg

How about an LNER loco that isn't a Pacific.

Cheers,

Mick

How about an LNER loco that isn't a Pacific.

OK, what about a 2-4-0 (!!!) in steam as a stationary boiler quite some time after withdrawal.

Can't remember the exact details off hand but could look them out if anyone's interested.

post-11812-0-73566500-1497308186_thumb.jpg

Next -  what about a "proper" 2-4-0?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

OK, what about a 2-4-0 (!!!) in steam as a stationary boiler quite some time after withdrawal.

Can't remember the exact details off hand but could look them out if anyone's interested.

attachicon.gifimg013 15 61943.jpg

Next -  what about a "proper" 2-4-0?

Surely it can't be a 2-4-0 as the wheels aren't coupled.