RMweb

And the next photo will have...(real railway version)

NorthBrit

• RMweb Premium

Let's start with some turntables/traversers/sector plates

I'll start with this not very good photo from La'al Ratty taken in still picture mode on a VHS camcorder at Ravenglass:

post-6208-0-38262100-1504598607_thumb.jpg

I don't think I've posted it before.

Keith

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 4

This Turntable photo not so jolly I'm afraid.

Before transferring to Loco and becoming an Engineman, I was apprenticed in the old WAGR workshops.

These backed onto what was once the old Midland Loco Depot which had closed at the end of steam.

Rumors were flying in the mid 80's that the old Steam depot was ready to be demolished, I went down and had a look and it was still complete so I thought I'd bring a camera in the next day to get some pics for posterity.

So the next day at Lunch I came back with a camera .......

I was all too late as I'm afraid the destruction had already begun - this is the turntable or whats left of it - an hour later it was completely gone !

There's a community of townhouses there now :(

post-23233-0-32538800-1504599936_thumb.jpg

Edited by The Blue Streak
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

We are getting close to zero hour - what next? Signal boxes with one or more trains or light engines passing? They are a bit more recently seen and in larger quantities than turntables, although many are on the way out or have already been made redundant. I can't remember what we have had already earlier in the thread.

Well the trains aren't quite passing, they are stabled, but they are trains because they have locos attached to the rakes.

The old Maddington WA signal cabin "B" that was due for demolition, but saved in it's entirety at the Death knock and relocated to Bassendean Rail Museum. Still complete with all it's Bells and Levers etc.

Many of these cabins and quite a lot of the somersault and semaphore signals (in the background) lasted into the 80's around the Perth Suburban network, the coming of the Electrification and subsequent modernisation meant the end for most of them.

post-23233-0-07175600-1504662355_thumb.jpg

Edited by The Blue Streak
  • Like 3