RMweb

And the next photo will have...(real railway version)

NorthBrit

• RMweb Gold

A rather scruffy unidentified Class 25 running engine and Brake into the old Exchange Sidings between the South Staffs Line and GWR Birmingham, Wolverhampton & Dudley line at Wednesbury Town. The box is Wednesbury No.1, at Potters Lane Level Crossing and the bridge is the GWR line, now Midland Metro.

post-9767-0-14510400-1504687529_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Before or after it started to fall down?

I was joking, but it just had a lot more character to it than many listed buildings and a good number of them were listed when they were in poor condition. The station itself is so featureless that the box was the one thing that you remembered.

Edited by phil_sutters

• RMweb Gold

Bath Road Jcn 'box Slough, a mere 54 years ago - including some of the passing dmu from which I took the picture

post-6859-0-73410500-1504692627_thumb.jpg

And taken in the same year (if my memory is working properly) but in this case an engine running round its train - at Lakeside

post-6859-0-58665600-1504692758_thumb.jpg

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I was joking, but it just had a lot more character to it than many listed buildings and a good number of them were listed when they were in poor condition. The station itself is so featureless that the box was the one thing that you remembered.

The other 'box (Clapham 'B') is, albeit in a different time frame, of equal historical performance and is almost 90 years old; fortunately seems to have survived albeit with modern windows replacing the originals.  

Alas Clapham 'A' was in a very poor state and it's not really surprising it started to collapse due to the ARP roof adding even more weight onto the supporting structure.  It looks like what was used as a replacement support frame at that end was different from the original and latterly the sheeting from the ARP roof was removed leaving just the framework and the rather sorry looking wooden structure underneath.   The question really arises then of just what it would have been restored to?  Its original lever frame was replaced in 1936 by one from a different manufacturer as part of the introduction of colour light signalling, the 40 ton ARP roof was added at around the time of WWII, the support structure at one end was renewed - in what looks like a slightly different pattern - after the partial collapse of the original in 1965, and the original timber structure was in a fairly sorry state by the late 1980s (and has in any case been described as 'basically a collection of wooden sheds'). 

• RMweb Premium

Today.

48151 passing Settle box on a Bedford-Carlisle charter.

post-408-0-10843800-1504705046_thumb.jpg

The signalbox has been restored by the Friends of the Settle-Carlisle and is open fro public visits most weekends. We got in because one of our part-time staff members is a volunteer and has access.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 3

Where's the train? :jester:

Keith

Once again you do not like me posting photographs because you have criticised everyone I have posted; even though others have posted similar pictures without comment. Here is a picture of a signal box with a train. Oh dear, there isn't an engine. TOUGH!

post-31504-0-02080200-1504709026_thumb.jpg

I, like others, shall not post another picture here.

Edited by NorthBrit

• RMweb Premium

Once again you do not like me posting photographs because you have criticised everyone I have posted;  even though others have posted similar pictures without comment.    Here is a picture of a signal box with a train.  Oh dear, there isn't an engine.  TOUGH!

attachicon.gifWP_20170624_15_05_10_Pro.jpg

Sorry you have taken offence but didn't you notice the emoji! :scratchhead:

Keith

(every other signal box picture does have a train in sight though)

Bit of an unusual location for a TransPennine train: Kirton Lindsey / Kirton Lime Sidings signalbox. This was a Saturday extra between Sheffield and Cleethorpes, run when the normal route via Scunthorpe was closed due to the landslip at Hatfield Colliery.

post-6971-0-13430100-1504726503.jpg

• Like 4