The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Fahrenheit and pounds and ounces.

250BOB

I don't want £sd back, I hated it as a child and believe it would be a regressive step. I am also quite happy with kilos

Not to worry, there will be an app for all those who grew up in the mental arithmetic void occasioned by switching to that easy continental method.

Then we will all once again happily drive the extra furlong three chains for the fuel that's threefarthing per gallon cheaper; in our Morris Minors which in winter will be at a balmy 50F, so much warmer sounding than that miserable 10C the continentals will insist on.

The temperature display on the clock in my office switched itself from Centigrade to Fahrenheit recently. I've no idea how or why, but the clock is radio controlled, so maybe whoever runs the transmitter is an ardent Bexiter. Or maybe I just knocked it over, and pressed a button by accident, and I can't work out which one to press to change it back!

• RMweb Premium

We probably get ripped off again if we changed back to £:s:d, but I like the idea. Just think of all those youngsters will have to start learning their twelve times table etc.some of them can't even work out how much change they should get from a quid in decimal, let alone real money.

Can we include the calendar?

I find the current system rather too complicated.

I like the Japanese idea of starting again at year 1 when the Emperor dies..

Or the Jewish version where you start at the beginning.

I also think that the idea of all birthdays being on Jan 1st as they do with race horses has some merit.

Bernard

Archived