Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Turn it off for you, sir?

bertiedog

The world has gone mad!

It's always been mad. But most people until very recently had to constantly keep nose to grindstone in order to earn or make sufficient to supply the bare necessities of life, and thus the madness was suppressed. The devil it appears makes work for idle brains too.

...this rates as one of the most pointless things I've seen.

It's a bluetooth button you fix to your bike. When you press it your phone makes a noise like a bell...

Aimed at the wrong market, it's for practical jokers like me. Equipped with this device,  when the wife and I are walking on one of many shared footpaths/cyclepaths on which the cyclists ride like homicidal maniacs and expect all pedestrians in their path to leap aside, I can make my wife's phone make a bike bell sound every couple of hundred yards.

• RMweb Gold

Thats over 500C.

I'd be surprised if an element in a single phase supply oven could get anywhere near that temp.

Ours does. The cleaning cycle uses every element, it has a triple glazed door and a lock that prevents the door being opened during the cycle. All that remains of grease is an easy to wipe white ash.

• RMweb Gold

It's always been mad. But most people until very recently had to constantly keep nose to grindstone in order to earn or make sufficient to supply the bare necessities of life, and thus the madness was suppressed. The devil it appears makes work for idle brains too.

Aimed at the wrong market, it's for practical jokers like me. Equipped with this device,  when the wife and I are walking on one of many shared footpaths/cyclepaths on which the cyclists ride like homicidal maniacs and expect all pedestrians in their path to leap aside, I can make my wife's phone make a bike bell sound every couple of hundred yards.

The ringtone on one of my pal's mobile phones is a recording of a GPMG going a full chat of umpteen hundred rounds per minute - the look on people's faces when they hear that for the first time can be quite interesting - as can the actions of some of them.

Being able to control an AGA remotely is not without some benefit. They are slow to heat up, slow to cool down. If you want it running at a low temp to conserve fuel during the day you cannot arrive home at 6, crank it up, and expect it to be ready to cook with at 7.

Anyway, we may need to worry about the suppliers rather than the hackers

This guy had an app to control access to his garage. After a bad tempered spat with the supplier he posted a bad review online and said supplier remotely disabled his app and denied him access to his own garage.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/news/customer-leaves-bad-review-door-app-gets-banned-garage/

He was not appy...

This guy had an app to control access to his garage. After a bad tempered spat with the supplier he posted a bad review online and said supplier remotely disabled his app and denied him access to his own garage.

That's alright because the internet has denied the company access to any more sales.

Bit more info in the Register article at https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/04/13/aga_oven_iot_insecurity/

notably that it's not really an Internet of Things interface on the Agas concerned, but

Yes, we're in a world where your cooker can have its own mobile phone number.

So next time you send a text that doesn't arrive at the intended destination, a total stranger's dinner may have been ruined :).

We have clearly reached the point where there is too much technology about. Regrettably the young ones, nearly all equipped with degrees as the complete their edukashun, have got to find work. What better than employment with companies whose mission statement is "let's do it, not be cause it's any use but because we can".

Then try getting the girl selling Nespresso machines in John Lewis to realise that happiness and a fulfilled life is not provided by a coffee making machine you can control with a mobile phone. Mind you, some people think that controlling their model railway with a mobile phone is some sort of Nirvana, so perhaps I am a bit out of touch.

A Denial of Supper attack?

A Man in the Minestrone Attack?

Botnets in the bolognese?

And, of course, you can control a model railway using similar technology, so maybe a competent hacker could get your train set and your cooker to control one another ...... and your quadricoptor ...... at which point it does begin to sound faintly threatening.

K

It's all due to the modern need for continuous music.  It all began with Musak and you can't go anywhere without some sort of music.  Even in the grocery stores or doctors waiting rooms and toilets.  It got worse with TVs in pubs and restaurants, you can't even enjoy a meal and a chat without some sort of music, all too often blaring in the background which intrudes on ones evening.   Even our new washer and dryer is accompanied by a ping or a ding for every feature.  As for sat nav, I turn it off so I can drive in peace without some idiot woman telling me where I know I want to go.

The ringtone on one of my pal's mobile phones is a recording of a GPMG going a full chat of umpteen hundred rounds per minute - the look on people's faces when they hear that for the first time can be quite interesting - as can the actions of some of them.

I can just imagine...

at least you are in the UK, not the US, in which case some of the reactions might include .45, 9mm, .38, 10mm, ect...

PO2 James Powell (retired)

Just set your username for everything to "username" and your password to "password". Make a hat out of tinfoil and don't be afraid.

Really, what a load of (beef) cobblers...

• RMweb Gold

Not internet connected, but this rates as one of the most pointless things I've seen.

It's a bluetooth button you fix to your bike. When you press it your phone makes a noise like a bell.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/340874591/bellio-the-bike-bell/description

The lack of backers means most people think the same as me.

To be fair as a cyclist I would prefer a button that made a bell like noise in the ear of all the pedestrians walking down then middle of cycle paths wearing headphones and ignoring the real one on my handlebar....

To be fair as a cyclist I would prefer a button that made a bell like noise in the ear of all the pedestrians walking down then middle of cycle paths wearing headphones and ignoring the real one on my handlebar....

As a pedestrian, I won't walk along cycle paths if cyclists promise to keep off the pavement...

:devil:

Lights blue touchpaper and retires to safe distance...

• RMweb Gold

Being able to control an AGA remotely is not without some benefit. They are slow to heat up, slow to cool down. If you want it running at a low temp to conserve fuel during the day you cannot arrive home at 6, crank it up, and expect it to be ready to cook with at 7.

But how does your app thingy put the coal on?

But how does your app thingy put the coal on?

I'm currently reading up on Arduinos, and it looks pretty straightforward to build automated coalers and stuff. Not much different to automating a traverser really! Automating the kitchen would be good too, so you can text home when you've decided what you want for dinner, and when, and your home automation system gathers all the ingredients, prepares everything, and pops it in the oven. You arrive home just as it's been taken out of the oven, served, and placed on the table. Of course there's no guarantee that a hacker hasn't changed the meal to something you don't like, or added a few ingredients you don't notice until you come round in A&E :).

I'm currently reading up on Arduinos, and it looks pretty straightforward to build automated coalers and stuff. Not much different to automating a traverser really! Automating the kitchen would be good too, so you can text home when you've decided what you want for dinner, and when, and your home automation system gathers all the ingredients, prepares everything, and pops it in the oven. You arrive home just as it's been taken out of the oven, served, and placed on the table. Of course there's no guarantee that a hacker hasn't changed the meal to something you don't like, or added a few ingredients you don't notice until you come round in A&E :).

Surely a Raspberry Pi is more suited to a task in the kitchen......

Stephen

...Automating the kitchen would be good too, so you can text home when you've decided what you want for dinner, and when, and your home automation system gathers all the ingredients, prepares everything, and pops it in the oven. You arrive home just as it's been taken out of the oven, served, and placed on the table...

Costed out, it's cheaper to phone for takeaway every evening with present tech.. Studies of this and other home automation concepts have been undertaken. The very real problem is that an automated system for such services has very little compatability with the equivalent human operated system; thus if both facilities are desired, the cost becomes prohibitive in space occupation and expenditure.

Ever considered that there really are unfortunates afflicted by deafness, among other significant problems? As a cyclist on a shared path/track it is your job to be able to stop without colliding with the other users, whatever they may do

Surely a Raspberry Pi is more suited to a task in the kitchen......

Stephen

Not if someone eats it by mistake!

Costed out, it's cheaper to phone for takeaway every evening with present tech.. Studies of this and other home automation concepts have been undertaken. The very real problem is that an automated system for such services has very little compatability with the equivalent human operated system; thus if both facilities are desired, the cost becomes prohibitive in space occupation and expenditure.

For someone who can afford a remote controlled Aga, does cost really matter?

Archived