Ashbourne Midland

Northpoint

Morning Nick, I hope you had a good day again yesterday, thanks for another little play on Saturday, it's such a nice layout to work.

You're welcome, Andy, glad you enjoyed it again.

One learning point from Derby - the sector plate tracks are a touch too close and the rolling stock, especially the passenger stock, was fouling the next track.

All my own fault as I was trying to do it all in a cramped space because the weather was bad and I couldn't spread out outside.

Another modification before Bloxwich in a couple of weeks. Hopefully the weather will stay fine...

EDIT: I'm going mad here - it's not going to Bloxwich! That's Heath Green!

Edited by Northpoint
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Layout looked great as ever. Good to chat to you Nick and a big thank you for your help with the Weston show. Both of the people you emailed have been in touch with me and, now I am back online, I can try and sort things out with them.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Nick, very nice little layout, and nice to see the two mirror-image variants.

As a resident of Ashbourne I've walked the area of the original Midland station and through the tunnel under the town many times, pointing out the various railway features that remain to my 4yr old daughter (she's still interested in it all at this age!)

There's a great book full of photos which you may or may not be aware of called Rails to Ashbourne by Howard Sprenger. A well-thumbed copy sits on my bookshelf: http://www.kestrelrailwaybooks.co.uk/ashbourne.htm

I've always fancied modelling the actual Ashbourne Midland station, as it had a lovely curved platform and the line left the end of the platform, over a small bridge then dived into a tunnel (tunnel portal would make a great exit to fiddle yard).

Hi Nick, very nice little layout, and nice to see the two mirror-image variants.

As a resident of Ashbourne I've walked the area of the original Midland station and through the tunnel under the town many times, pointing out the various railway features that remain to my 4yr old daughter (she's still interested in it all at this age!)

There's a great book full of photos which you may or may not be aware of called Rails to Ashbourne by Howard Sprenger. A well-thumbed copy sits on my bookshelf: http://www.kestrelrailwaybooks.co.uk/ashbourne.htm

I've always fancied modelling the actual Ashbourne Midland station, as it had a lovely curved platform and the line left the end of the platform, over a small bridge then dived into a tunnel (tunnel portal would make a great exit to fiddle yard).

I believe Mr. (Howard) Sprenger was my maths teacher (in the late '70's) - I never knew he was into railways.

• Like 1

(Pedant mode on)

Was the station really called 'Ashbourne Midland'? It was actually built by the LNWR and was used jointly with the North Stafford who then closed their own station.

You have forgotten that the line (trackbed) passes under Church Street between the Henmore bridge and the tunnel.

(Pedant mode off)

In the 1950s I often visited Ashbourne as my grandmother lived in the alms houses near St Oswald,s church. I would usually go and stand on the footbridge at the bottom of Church Lane (Why did they have to change it to School Lane?) to see if there was any railway activity. On one occasion there were two freight trains shunting about - one from Uttoxeter with a Crab and the other from Buxton with a Super D. I also saw an excursion with two 2-6-4Ts. (Thinks - Have I said this before in the life of this thread? - Edit: yes I did in post #23. Hey Ho. Must be getting old).

Edited by Poor Old Bruce

(Pedant mode on)

Was the station really called 'Ashbourne Midland'? It was actually built by the LNWR and was used jointly with the North Stafford who then closed their own station.

You have forgotten that the line (trackbed) passes under Church Street between the Henmore bridge and the tunnel.

(Pedant mode off)

In the 1950s I often visited Ashbourne as my grandmother lived in the alms houses near St Oswald,s church. I would usually go and stand on the footbridge at the bottom of Church Lane (Why did they have to change it to School Lane?) to see if there was any railway activity. On one occasion there were two freight trains shunting about - one from Uttoxeter with a Crab and the other from Buxton with a Super D. I also saw an excursion with two 2-6-4Ts. (Thinks - Have I said this before in the life of this thread? - Edit: yes I did in post #23. Hey Ho. Must be getting old).

Pedanticism always welcome sir!

No, although passing through ownership of the LMS and later BR's London Midland region, the name of the station was always "Ashbourne". I should perhaps have been clearer. In an effort to keep things "on topic" I was suggesting I had considered modelling the "actual Ashbourne Midland" as opposed to Nick's marvellous but fictional "Ashbourne Midland".

And yes, while I am aware of the Church Street bridge (stood on it only last week), I neglected to mention it.

Thanks for sharing the memories, if I do ever model it I'll be sure to include a chap watching from the footbridge!

Edited by DaveOfSmeg

Thank you everybody for the interest.

The layout is totally fictitious - a "what might have been" that we modellers are so fond of!

If anybody is interested, the layout will be out this Saturday at the Bournville show in Birmingham, 10am - 4.30pm, see here: http://www.bournvillemrc.co.uk/

Hopefully see you there.

Edited by Northpoint
  • Like 1

Thanks for sharing the memories, if I do ever model it I'll be sure to include a chap watching from the footbridge!

As I was probably less that 10 years old, I'd be wearing shorts and a Fairisle pullover. I am sure I have seen a published photo with someone fitting that description on the bridge - it could be me. Who knows?

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Thanks, Nick!

Having finally given up hope of having a large dream layout I've tried to scale down 'Ashbourne Midland' into N scale as a base of a layout one might get finished. Unfortunately all of my unfinished dream layout turnouts are long ones, so more compression is needed :(

• 2 months later...

May I still return to 'Ashbourne (Midland)':

Do you recall what was the lengh of your headshunt and how long a rake of coaches/wagons standing at platform track could be run around?

/pekka