Ashbourne Midland

Northpoint

Just got home form day 1 at Sutton Coldfield.

A bit of a nightmare to start with. I have to apologise to anybody who might have been vieiwing the layout in the first hour or so for the poor performance.

Despite cleaning the track three times and the wheeels on all the locomotives the number of stalls and finger prods was totally unacceptable.

I have to say that as the day progressed things settled down a bit and we got to the stage where the Jinty would shunt the goods train without having to be prodded every two minutes.

No idea what the problem was, but hopefully things will be OK for tomorrow.

A very nice venue and a well organised show Nick thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm sure everyone like me who saw your layout was too busy noticing the fine layout you have built and admired the quality you have built into it, to notice any early problems you thought you had. Glad things settled down later and I hope all goes well tomorrow

Brian

Thanks for a Great Day Nick, Sorry for keep breaking your Point Rod, hahha. At least it ran really well today.

Some pics of my Ivatt 2MT Today.

I'm glad you enjoyed it, Andy.

I'm pleased to say that things got a lot better as the weekend went on. However, as is always the case on the first exhibition outing for a layout, I came away with several learning points, particularly with regard to live frog points and cassette storage. Some changes will possibly (time permitting) be made by Derby in 2 weeks time.

Oh, I nearly forgot, this was Andy getting himself tied up in knots whilst shunting yesterday....

post-6943-0-44720500-1461575919_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Nick - I hope you aren't planning too many changes to the layout - and I wonder if you will have Andy with you again at our show in Derby - I can feel a 'panic attack' starting and won't feel any better until Monday 9th May when it's all over . . . . . .

Nick - I hope you aren't planning too many changes to the layout - and I wonder if you will have Andy with you again at our show in Derby - I can feel a 'panic attack' starting and won't feel any better until Monday 9th May when it's all over . . . . . .

No need to panic, Mike! I've sent you a PM explaining things.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Me Panic !  Never 

I mean I'm only the Treasurer so all I worry about is money not layouts. If we've got enough to pay your expenses then I'm happy - of course I would be even happier if we make a bit of a surplus but it's usually the last few through the door that do that for us as by then all costs should have been covered.

I note that Mr P rated my comment as 'Funny' - perhaps that's more worrying than a few small changes to improve the layout.

Looking forward to seeing the end result in a couple of weeks.

• Like 1

Me Panic !  Never 

I mean I'm only the Treasurer so all I worry about is money not layouts. If we've got enough to pay your expenses then I'm happy - of course I would be even happier if we make a bit of a surplus but it's usually the last few through the door that do that for us as by then all costs should have been covered.

I note that Mr P rated my comment as 'Funny' - perhaps that's more worrying than a few small changes to improve the layout.

Looking forward to seeing the end result in a couple of weeks.

No wonder I've NEVER been invited to the Derby Show then Mike, hahahha

• RMweb Premium

Even I exhibited a layout at the Assembly Rooms once, so I'm sure Mike will try his best to collar you Andy.

Yes but you were cheap as Stewart paid a fixed rate of 'not very much' to club members' layouts - I mean think of the costs of getting Mr P from Swad to Derby although I guess he could carry the layout and use his bus pass. Apologies to the other Mr P for hijacking his topic but he's supposed to be tweaking the layout and might not notice our banter here . . . . . . . :jester:

Yes but you were cheap as Stewart paid a fixed rate of 'not very much' to club members' layouts - I mean think of the costs of getting Mr P from Swad to Derby although I guess he could carry the layout and use his bus pass. Apologies to the other Mr P for hijacking his topic but he's supposed to be tweaking the layout and might not notice our banter here . . . . . . . :jester:

Just the cost of some Bacon Butties first thing each morning Mike, hahhaha.

• Like 1

Hi Nick been looking at your low relief brewery / warehouse mind telling me who makes them and if there still available- I've had a look through most of the Bachmann scenic models and can't see it there,

Thanks Brian

Brian - Bachmann Scenecraft 44-219. Plenty in stock according to eHattons website.

• Like 2

After some issues with cassettes at Sutton Coldfield, I've been working on a sector plate (that's what was going to be there originally!).

It works electrically, although it is slightly stiff in it's sideways movement - any ideas how to loosen it up (I'm sure it's not the tightness of the bolt it pivots on)? I've seen mention of candle wax elesewhere.

Hopefully we will see it in action at Derby this coming weekend.

post-6943-0-60901200-1462210796_thumb.jpg

post-6943-0-13894500-1462210812_thumb.jpg

post-6943-0-05338500-1462210820_thumb.jpg

post-6943-0-27268300-1462210826_thumb.jpg

post-6943-0-30076400-1462210832_thumb.jpg

Edited by Northpoint
  • Like 6

Brian - Bachmann Scenecraft 44-219. Plenty in stock according to eHattons website.

Thanks Nick,

Like what you've done with the sector plate should make movements a little more interesting, looking forward to seeing the layout at Derby next weekend.

• Like 1

Thanks Nick,

Like what you've done with the sector plate should make movements a little more interesting, looking forward to seeing the layout at Derby next weekend.

Do make sure you say hello.

It works electrically, although it is slightly stiff in it's sideways movement - any ideas how to loosen it up (I'm sure it's not the tightness of the bolt it pivots on)? I've seen mention of candle wax elesewhere.

What are you using for your sliding faces? On Northworthy, I used felt under the sector plate sliding on a Formica surface (Can you still get Formica?). Works a treat.

What are you using for your sliding faces? On Northworthy, I used felt under the sector plate sliding on a Formica surface (Can you still get Formica?). Works a treat.

The two surfaces are just plywood - that's probably the problem. I need to find some kind of lubrication. I need a quick fix if possible before the weekend. I don't have time to take it apart and start rebuilding!! :no:

The two surfaces are just plywood - that's probably the problem. I need to find some kind of lubrication. I need a quick fix if possible before the weekend. I don't have time to take it apart and start rebuilding!! :no:

Had a thought Nick. Could you slide a piece of acetate sheet into the interface. The 'window' out of a coach box could do the trick, perhaps stuck to one surface with double sided sticky tape or a dab of glue.