The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

LEGO modelling

DavidB-AU

Didn't want to revive any of the 3 year old topics so thought I'd start a new one for anybody to post pics of cool LEGO models. Here's a stunner to get going, taken by my brother Greg at the Brickman exhibition in Melbourne. Posted with permission. :)

post-6959-0-79971100-1492937256.jpg

post-6959-0-30315600-1492937261.jpg

Cheers

David

• Like 12

• 1 year later...

I had quite an extensive collection of Lego trains as a child, mostly push-along, but I did have a battery wagon that went with a couple of motorised chassis. That was hours of fun. Even managed to build some OK-looking locos and carriages from the various bits - being Danish it wasn't so easy to get kits for UK things, but I was largely freelancing anyhow.

Mentioned this elsewhere, but Lego is fantastic for making building shells.

The only issue with it is that the minimum wall thickness is 2 feet (in 4mm scale).

It would be possible to take a slitting saw to it obviously, but life is too short for that....

• RMweb Gold

Has anyone used the Lego controller for ordinary model railways? I think it is 8V DC.

They are 9v and I use one to power my set track ‘running in’ circle.

• RMweb Gold

Yep, that is the 9v one.

The first generation of Lego electric train was 12v and used a pair of ‘third rails’ down the centre of the track. The controller for this is what Talltim has shown.

Then they changed to 2 rail at 9v with metal tracks.

More recently this has been discontinued and current trains are battery powered and controlled by infrared.

Yep, that is the 9v one.

The first generation of Lego electric train was 12v and used a pair of ‘third rails’ down the centre of the track. The controller for this is what Talltim has shown.

Then they changed to 2 rail at 9v with metal tracks.

More recently this has been discontinued and current trains are battery powered and controlled by infrared.

No, the current trains are controlled by bluetooth...the previous generation (PF 1.0) are IR controlled.  Then there are the 2 2006 sets, which are IR not PF.  Before that you get to the 9V era (1990-2006) are 9V, 2 rail.  The generation before that (1980-90) are center feed 2 rail, 12v, gray track (or battery 4.5V,  or push...).   The generation before THAT (1968-1980) are blue rail center feed 12v, (or battery or push). 

Questions?

I've been kicking around an idea for a Diesel engine, I haven't made any progress beyond ideas so far...but it shoudl be an interesting one if I can find the mojo for it (& if my 12 year old would stop stealing the wheels I put aside for it !)

James

• RMweb Premium

No, the current trains are controlled by bluetooth...the previous generation (PF 1.0) are IR controlled.

Hi

Which are the current trains as all the trains I've bought in the last couple of years have been infra red.

Cheers

Paul

Hi

Which are the current trains as all the trains I've bought in the last couple of years have been infra red.

Cheers

Paul

Lego has just this year introduced the bluetooth system.  And 2 new train sets for it. 

From looking at initial reactions, its not a great successor.  Still has piss poor range, even more limited expand-ability, and a rather weak battery life, probably on account of the bluetooth.  Not to mention due to connector changes, its useless with the recent PF elements.  At least when PF was introduced, they had an adaptor cable from PF to 9V plugs so you could control 9V items with PF.  

I cant remember what name they gave the system.  Been out of the Lego loop for quite a few years now due to other modelling interests taking over.  

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I haven't used Lego for the past 35 years or so but have recently been looking at building O scale trains using Lego - I have just designed this tramway engine with adjustable wheel positions so it can run on either Lego or O scale track (the dimensions are with a few mm's of correct O scale).  This was designed and photo rendered on 'stud.io' software from Bricklink.  It has enough room inside to fit a Poweredup medium motor and and battery box/bluetooth receiver.  I think Lego has been seriously overlooked as available parts these days allow some quite impressive models to be built.

Ian

o scale j70.png

• Like 10

6 wide for me...

Lego 100 HP post war

(recently posted in the Sentinel Loco thread)
The Sentinel is old enough that that is Dark Gray, not Dark Stone Gray, used in the handrails...

and the home layout, rather dated view of it:

(I need to redo the movie, as things have changed quite a lot since then !)

James

Edited by peach james
added date range for Sentinel
  • Like 2