A forum area specifically and only for recording ideas and progress of individual's challenge entries in accordance with the challenge.

Lovely, looks just right.

Where was the prototype located, please?

The photo is Abbeydore on the Golden Valley Railway, taken in 1935.

There was the same design at Clifford on the same line. Not sure if the loading gauge wire should be white not black so I may change the colour.

post-5096-0-59704000-1545511395_thumb.jpeg

Edited by PUASHP

Put the finishing touches to a bit more rolling stock today. The wagons are as follows: Cooper Craft GWR 5 plank open O11, Cooper Craft GWR 4 plank open, Cambrian SR 12T open, Ratio GWR Iron Mink with new brass roof and brake gear, a pair of 1980’s vintage Alfie open wagons, one as a GWR and one LMS, and finally the new Hornby GWR brake AA15.

post-5096-0-39185900-1545590318_thumb.jpeg

post-5096-0-78972700-1545590332_thumb.jpeg

post-5096-0-14774000-1545590348_thumb.jpeg

post-5096-0-81252100-1545590363_thumb.jpeg

post-5096-0-74899900-1545590384_thumb.jpeg

post-5096-0-69764400-1545590395_thumb.jpeg

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

I take it that 'alfie' wagons are Airfix mouldings. They really are quite good. I have one which sees service on the respective 'Ovine ' layouts of mine.

Hembourne looks very nice, I must say. Spot on.

Rob.

Superb layout. I have very much enjoyed reading this thread. Thank you for posting.One small point - gutters and downpipes on the station building and signal box?

Well spotted, they are on the list of things to do, along with steps to the signal box, station building interior etc. I like to get a feel for the building and make sure it looks right before adding the extra detail. Currently I have 25 detailing items on the list still to do.

Today it was work on the station signs. Cast white metal from Springside Models, soldered up with low melt solder. The name is printed on photo paper in a GWR signs font. Painting still to do.

post-5096-0-06554000-1545866009_thumb.jpeg

• Like 4

Well spotted, they are on the list of things to do, along with steps to the signal box, station building interior etc. I like to get a feel for the building and make sure it looks right before adding the extra detail. Currently I have 25 detailing items on the list still to do.

Today it was work on the station signs. Cast white metal from Springside Models, soldered up with low melt solder. The name is printed on photo paper in a GWR signs font. Painting still to do.

Hembourne is looking very good, progressing at impressive speed.

Could you just mention what font you used for the station signs?

• RMweb Gold

Font was downloaded from the GWR e list group which you need to subscribe to and then go to the download page.

Incredible, what ever will they think of next! I'd never have thought that anyone would have produced a special font just for that!

• Like 1

The gardener has been busy again today planting the flower beds on the station platform. The same Artex,sand and brown paint mix was used as per the allotment. Small stones added as a border and the flowers are made from Woodland Scenics Polyfiber and scatter. Thin wire is used to give height to the flowers at the rear. Lastly a spray with hairspray to keep it all in place.

post-5096-0-47643800-1545937059_thumb.jpeg

post-5096-0-53211200-1545937071_thumb.jpeg

post-5096-0-07296600-1545937083_thumb.jpeg

post-5096-0-39199300-1545937095_thumb.jpeg

• Like 14

This is a really attractive and inspiring layout, so I feel guilty in voicing a very minor criticism. There appear to be two station nameboards. There really ought to be only one. The GWR term was "running-in board", which accurately describes its function - a board showing the name of the station as a train runs in to the station.

At a branch terminus, the running-in board would be somewhere near the outer (Up) end of the platform. At a through station having both Up and Down platforms there would be one running-in board towards the Down end of the Up platform, and one towards the Up end of the Down platform. Two running-in boards would not generally be found on the same platform, except at some junction stations.

I should have added that where a through station on a single track line had only one platform, the running-in board might be positioned nearer the centre of the platform, and this is one case where there might occasionally have been two running-in boards, one towards each end of the platform, but a single board is still likely have been more common in this situation.

Sounds very logical and not something I’ve considered before. I’ll do some more research and I can always remove one of the name boards but keep the two flower beds as the station master is obviously a keen gardener.

• Like 1

Bit more work on the motive power, this time an ancient Wills metro kit with a perseverance chassis. Bit of a struggle to get the rods to clear the valance on the body but it’s ok now, just. Not exactly as the prototype but should be a nice little loco for the branch.

Back in April posted pics of a GWR Metro tank built from a very old Wills kit. Finally got round to finishing the last few bits and painting. All that is left now is to add a driver and fireman, coal in the bunker, lamps, fire irons and weathering. Hopefully running soon.

post-5096-0-73169100-1546360681_thumb.jpeg

post-5096-0-40441600-1546360692_thumb.jpeg

• Like 10

Painted the bridge tonight. Mortar was a wash oh Humbrol Matt 28 off white whilst the stonework was painted with acrylics a mix of brown, grey, white and green all dry brushed. Finally some careful work with white and black weathering powders. I did manage a colour photo of a similar bridge on the same line which helped with colour matching.

Lovely work here!  I like the stonework on the bridge as it does not look like embossed plastic! any idea which pattern you used? it looks (appropriately enough) like Slater's Cotswold Stone?

Steve

Oh I do like that Metro tank. Nice to have something a bit different from the regular 14xx or pannier fare. I see you have some suitably antiquated 4 four wheeled coaches some posts back to go with it.

PS - lovely little layout too :)

Edited by The Great Bear

Sounds very logical and not something I’ve considered before. I’ll do some more research and I can always remove one of the name boards but keep the two flower beds as the station master is obviously a keen gardener.

The running-in board to the left of the station building is fine; it's the one at the right-hand end that would need to be taken out but, as you say, the flower bed at that end of the platform could certainly stay (which would effectively conceal any evidence of the nameboard having been removed from this location).

I have just noticed the number on the Metro Tank.  It's the same number that I chose for my model (also from an old Wills kit, which is still available from SE Finecast) for which I scratch-built a chassis from nickel-silver, long before SE Finecast produced their etched chassis for this kit.

I chose No.615, as it was at Oxford (and its sub-shed at Fairford) immediately before withdrawal in 1931.  It had been a London Division engine for a good few years, having previously been allocated to Reading, when it was often seen on the Henley Branch.  It was fitted with auto gear in 1930 or 1931, only a short time before withdrawal .

Bearing in mind the withdrawal date of this engine, I have had to claim modeller's licence for its appearance on the Burford Branch later than 1931, with an auto-trailer that did not enter service until 1934.  But, if it had survived for longer, it could equally well have been reallocated to somewhere nearer the Welsh border.  So who's to say it might not sooner or later have turned up at Hembourne?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Fantasy history well done Crichel, bending it to suit, which I'm all in favour of, when bringing elements of the railway together to make it whole, within reason of course! 

I've just put my own SEF Metro on the cutting mat for pre-build assessment and note that the diagram showing how to put the chassis together is missing, rats! Anyway, this thread is reminding me just how good it is to be here. Thank you PUASHP, your infrastructure build and stock is a joy to see coming together and I'm watching with a growing smile on my face.

Edited by longchap

The running-in board to the left of the station building is fine; it's the one at the right-hand end that would need to be taken out but, as you say, the flower bed at that end of the platform could certainly stay (which would effectively conceal any evidence of the nameboard having been removed from this location).

Suitably modified, excellent advice. It’s as if it never existed.

post-5096-0-70819100-1546383029_thumb.jpeg

• Like 5

Thank you for the positive comments on the Metro tank. It has a Perseverance compensated chassis. Believe it or not the kit was started in the late 1980’s so it’s taken a while to complete. I had the number plates in the box so that’s why they are fitted, many moons ago my layout was to feature a location much closer to London but that never happened.

Weathering and fitting the DCC chip next weekend and it’s almost job done.

post-5096-0-91287600-1546383336_thumb.jpeg

• Like 6