S7 scratch building

• RMweb Premium

Nick, to mark the position of the bolts I tend to draw a faint pencil line especially on the end stanchions and wider cornerplates, but on the thinner ironwork I tend to play it by eye. 

I have just tried and failed to melt the rear of the Masterclub bolts with the tip of a soldering iron to form a domed coach bolt. I will have to think of another way of adding the interior details.  When I drill the holes through the middle ironwork, it will give me a line of hole which acts as a guide to place the internal knees. 

20231206_171008.jpg

20231206_171249.jpg

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

When I was making my breakdown crane I got fed up with drilling holes on the brass sides of the chassis for Masterclub bolts to go through so I settled instead for just slicing the bolt heads or nuts off the stems and gluing them on with drops of cyanoacrylate. By the time there are a coat of primer and a couple of coats of top coat on top, they seem to be handling proof.

Dave 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Hi Mike

I’m following your progress with interest. I have scratch built locos and rolling stock using brass, but not styrene.  Your parts are always very neat and tidy. What method do you use for cutting and preparing the components. When I use styrene it always looks a bit rough.

• RMweb Premium

Crook lad, 

Nothing out of the ordinary to cut styrene, just the scalpels from Swann Morton or a Olfa cutter. 

I use mainly a number 10a blade for cutting through styrene and a number 9a which is the flat blade to shave off any raised burrs. I use this held horizontal against the styrene to remove burrs followed by a quick rub over with some fine emery paper or these soft based emery boards. These are not cheap but they seem to last a long time. 

The Olfa cutter has a V shaped blade and I use this scribe the plank lines in always counting how many passes I use so the depth doesn't vary to the previous one cut. I always cut against a metal rule or square and a cutting mat underneath.  An old toothbrush is used to brush away any swafe or dust. 

If you have made models from metal them I think you will find working with styrene a doddle. I hope this helps. 

Mike

20231213_151812.jpg

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

Good luck Dennis.  The thing with styrene is it it reasonable cheap and if you scrap some it's not the end of the world unless you are of limited means. Thankfully I am in my eyes fairly well off ( my wife may differ ) 

but I have been on the bread line more than once after being made redundant for the third time with a young family and without any savings. We are the only people on our road with a ten year car as our only means of transport but we have a great family who are all healthy and happy, which is what matters most of all.

I haven't done much other than Christmas duties and fixing items for one of my daughters. Her husband is a great bloke but was born with ten thumbs so I still get all her problems to mend.

I have started to drill holes for some more Masterclub bolts on the ends and the other side. I keep having one reoccurring problem in I am struggling to get anything central. I first started to notice this a few years ago and I try to combat this by turning everything around more than once when making out and looking down at everything at eye level. This helps but I find when I get a few thou out on one piece and this is joined to another then the combination of two parts a few thou is more glaring.  Perhaps I am getting to old for all this. The coupling plate is a few thou off centre which I noticed once I had glued the body on. After so many hours, do I cut the plate off and fill in the hole and redrill it ?

On checking both the plate and the door I find it is the door that isn't in the centre which is a major problem which will need a complete reconstruction.  Oh fiddly sticks ***********

20231215_124525.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

woko,  that is a very flattering statement, I am not sure I justify it. I consider myself to be a self taught bodger who couldn't build simple kits to a standard that satisfied myself.  

Unlike yourself who has mastered the modern technology necessary to produce some incredible models.

A big plus point for you is the ability to make the same model many times over which of course isn't possible the way I build models.  As the old saying goes there is more than one way to skin a cat. 

I have not done anything for the past few weeks other than family matters.  Having the 3 daughters in 3 different locations sometimes makes life difficult as we have to spread ourselves about a bit.  

Mike

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

We try and alternate where we spend our time at Christmas between our daughter's. So this year we have spent Christmas with daughter number 2 in Australia.  Daughter number 1 lived in our house while we we away so she and her family could be near her other in-laws and daughter number 2.  It all worked out well for all concerned. 

Modelling has been suspended while we were away, but railways are never far from the surface. 

We had a couple of days in Albany on the south coast below Perth where there is still railways but not passenger traffic. The last passenger trains were in 1978 but there is still a healthy freight service going to the docks. In the old station at Albany there is a model railway club located in the station building but the opening times did not correspond with our visit. 

I did visit the railway museum in Perth which is open on a Wednesday which also has a model club as part of the museum.  Unfortunately it doesn't appear to have any 7mm content, and the exhibits in the full size museum looked in the same stage as they were when I went there about 5 years ago. I wonder what will happen to all these old relics when the present volunteers go to that great engine shed in the sky ?

But we did have lots of sunshine and fabulous places to visit when everyone here was getting cold. 

The beaches are stunning and very uncrowded. The problem is it is such a long way to go and it is getting harder as we get older. 

20240108_082742.jpg

20240108_082757.jpg

20240108_082835.jpg

20240109_045846.jpg

20240110_233553.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Looking out of the window at this awful weather doesn't help the modelling mojo. When we left to go and see our daughter down under, I did hope the bad weather would be nearly over by the time we got back. 

But we now have a pond in the back garden that wasn't there when we left.

It is taking a bit to get going after being in the sunshine as well as suffering with jet lag which keeps waking me up at 4am. So I have started to look again at where I left off with this private owner wagon. 

I still have only one side detailed with nuts and bolts but I think I will wait until I am feeling back to normal before I attempt to drill lots of tiny holes for the Masterclub bolts. 

So the small amount I have done is only to fixed the pair of V-irons to one side of the solebar's. 

I have got a works reunion tomorrow so that is something to look forward to. I will find out what my old workmates have been up to and slightly depressing thought, who is no longer with us. I can't believe it will be 20 years this September that I left. How time flies. 

20240123_142356.jpg

20240123_142532.jpg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Jet lag again woke me at 4am and I couldn't get back to sleep. So I got up and had a cuppa and ventured into the workshop to see if I had any brass brakegear to finish this latest wagon. I added the square bolts from modified lace pins which I applied to the V-irons.  I didn't get them spot on for accuracy which is becoming all to familiar now.  I did find some 9' brakegear already made up from a previous aborted wagon that never made the grade. This hopefully will be made to fit with a little adjustment but if not I can always make some more from the parts in bits box.

20240124_075311.jpg

20240124_080009.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6
  • Round of applause 1

14 hours ago, airnimal said:

Lacathedrale,  my stock is at present located in a IKEA cabinet in my workshop. It isn't  easy  to photograph them laid out as you wish. I have built over 60 wagons since I retired nearly 7 years ago as well as a few for friends along with some buildings.  I still have lots of ideas to build some way of displaying them, this may be a small layout or a diorama. I have been involved with helping other people and clubs to build layouts but never got farther than the baseboards stage for myself.  I do wonder if I ever will build something but I am still enjoying what I do, so does it matter ?  The locos are all stuck in boxes because I don't have the room to display them. 

Mike

20240123_182228.jpg

20240123_182317.jpg

20240123_182355.jpg

20240123_182407.jpg

Abso-bloomin-lutely gorgeous models- an inspiration and a huge encouragement to the rest of us to persevere!

• Agree 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I have replaced the safety hangers to better reflect both the position and angle. I have also added the brake handle and rack both from Exactoscale parts. I have all the bolts to finish off on the far side of the body along with a few bits and pieces. 

20240125_120320.jpg

20240125_120417.jpg

20240125_125545.jpg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

The door holding latches are let into a rebate in the door with a hoop of wire around it with a pin to hold it closed.  I have attempted to make it the same on my model by drilling a series of holes in the door and then making this into a channel. The metal bar was made from a couple of bits of scrap etch from some old brakegear.  This was melted into the slot with the tip of the soldering iron being careful not to get to close to the plastic parts.  It will need a bit of filler around it to bed it in because I wasn't very careful when I opened out the slot. I have made a few loops from thin brass wire for the loops but being so small there keep flying off into the distance never to be seen again. These things are getting harder to make as I get older because of arthritis and poor eyesight.  

20240126_120416.jpg

20240126_122141.jpg

20240126_122539.jpg

20240126_120532.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3