Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

S15 mechanical malfunction...

GreenGiraffe22

So, those of you who follow my layout thread will see I've been very much enjoying my latest purchase, the S15, and the woes I had with the detail pack, I managed to unglue it, and that issue is resolved.

However, the loco was happily travelling around my layout when suddenly:

post-29051-0-40988000-1493291879_thumb.jpg

post-29051-0-43091400-1493291892_thumb.jpg

This is actually the second time it happened, I straightened it out and the loco was able to run but there wasn't much movement in that bit of side rod, that bit just moved up and down slightly compared to the other side that had a lot of movement. until it happened again,I noticed the screw holding it in place keeps unscrewing (it's my Q1 all over again).

Just wondering if it's happened to anyone else, or if anyone knows what might be causing it to malfunction like that....

Edit: just had a closer look, the bit at the top of the bent piece that moves back and forth keeps getting stuck when it moves back causing the whole rod to bend. Wondering if I should just return it to Rails, it might be a faulty model?

Not with my S15 but with a Black 5. Everything locked up solid and blew the sound decoder. I got a newer Black 5 (no sound) and heard a persisent clicking. If I recall, bending some rods in the motion stopped it. I fancy that’s what was wrong with the older one and eventually it went critical. I’ve seen the price of replacement motion (gulp!) and haven’t dealt with the old one yet.

To answer your query, it’s probably due to a poorly assembled motion, allowing parts to foul each other. The solution is probably to bend the rods gently until they don’t foul and possibly add a tiny drop of superglue to the thread of the screw.

It shouldn’t happen, I know. Good luck with sorting out the mess!

• RMweb Gold

The crank should be pointing towards the center of the wheel. I think it's been mounted incorrectly.

Carefully​ undo the bolt, straighten up the motion and locate the crank on the spigot - be warned it can be quite fiddly.

...what might be causing it to malfunction like that....just had a closer look, the bit at the top of the bent piece that moves back and forth keeps getting stuck when it moves back causing the whole rod to bend. Wondering if I should just return it to Rails, it might be a faulty model?

The swinging component 'at the top' is the expansion link, and the drive that makes it swing comes from the now bent 'eccentric rod'. As already observed the eccentric crank is now well out of position, may well have been moved to that incorrect position once the expansion link was jammed up under the footplate and the eccentric rod started bending.

If you want to try repositioning the eccentric crank as 'toboldlygo' suggests, then the eccentric rod needs to completely straightened as well. This is because any bend will effectively shorten it, and that means that the expansion link can be pulled further back than it should be, which may result in a repeat incident. You may well find that the locating hole in the eccentric crank has been so much rounded off by its displacement that it will not properly locate any longer on the flats on the crankpin and just flops about, if so best to return to vendor.

• RMweb Gold

Slight coincidence, I acquired a bargain S15 (£69) from a certain Cornish emporium yesterday. My next donor S15 arrived today, because of this topic I double-checked the crank/expansion links and a good job to - due to mishandling (more than likely at the factory) the crank was bent the wrong way on one side (an easy fix for me) and the expansion link was bent on the other-side (again easy to rectify for me).

So the moral of this tale, is to check the motion before you even attempt to run it - the ice cube packaging makes that easy.

• RMweb Gold

Slight coincidence, I acquired a bargain S15 (£69) from a certain Cornish emporium yesterday. My next donor S15 arrived today, because of this topic I double-checked the crank/expansion links and a good job to - due to mishandling (more than likely at the factory) the crank was bent the wrong way on one side (an easy fix for me) and the expansion link was bent on the other-side (again easy to rectify for me).

So the moral of this tale, is to check the motion before you even attempt to run it - the ice cube packaging makes that easy.

The above experience is not unusual.It is so delicate.Look carefully before running.

Thanks for your replies, I might see if Rails of Sheffield are prepared to exchange it before attempting to fix and potentially making it worse. I've only had it just over a week

I had a very similar experience with mine. I contacted Rails and they exchanged immediately. 

(Edited to note that they tested the replacement engine before dispatch, and seemed to have lubricated everything quite liberally.)

• 2 weeks later...

Ran my new S15 from the same supplier for the first time today. The front bogie detached exiting the first curve!

No damage. The hexagonal nut was recovered (well it had only gone a few feet down the track) and I refitted the bogie a little more securely.

Not the supplier's fault but there must be a lot of returns out there right now.

My bargain S15 arrived within 24 hours of ordering from deepest Cornwall and is a beautiful bit of kit.I gave it a good checkover first and nothing was loose and it is proving to be a beautiful runner. The cab detailing is exquisite, at £80 you can't beat it.

Archived