2ManySpams

Well over a year ago I started my entry for the 2013 scratch build challenge. I started sourcing the materials, got thinking about windows and drawing it up. Then we did something daft and entered (and won) the layout competition that saw us build Black Country Blues in less than a year. The scratch build competition entry was put on hold and Andy Y merged the posts with the DitD thread.

So what was I planning on building?

This:

attachicon.gifCurrent St B Box - Copy.jpg

Now the downside with merging the signal box scratch build thread with the main DitD one is that I'm having a spot of bother finding all the info again! So for my own benefit, here's a few I've now found:

Intro

Craig's photos and a few more

Ernie's St B Flickr page

Realising the box isn't normal

It's a Type 7D..... 

Dimension calcs

Hmmm - there's a thing I'd not thought about.

It's built into the platform.....

• RMweb Premium

Three choices D:

1. Build the box and include the start of the platform - bit of a problem as the box on the model isn't on a running line.

2. Build it but leave off the platform

3. Don't build it!

• RMweb Premium

If you leave the platform off I'll fall 6 feet when I go out to deliver the token! EEK!

I'm toying with the idea of putting the door at ground level! That would make the internal stairs longer though - wonder how that will work?

I'm toying with the idea of putting the door at ground level! That would make the internal stairs longer though - wonder how that will work?

This needs risk assessing....

shinny new external galvanised platform (with handrails) anyone?

in all seriousness is there a wooden 'token' platform equivalent - more appropriate to the era

Well it worked alright with most 'boxes with an internal staircase!

There's something odd here then, if the existing stairs are already very steep.

Is the box taller than the norm?

Has it got an extra base on?

compensating for the fact its on the platform ramp?

too many questions - i need toast

• RMweb Gold

If the box is not on the running line (philosophical debates about why trains 'run' not 'roll' can be had another time), then how will Mr Signalman pass the tokens to the drivers ???

• RMweb Gold

There's something odd here then, if the existing stairs are already very steep.

Is the box taller than the norm?

Has it got an extra base on?

compensating for the fact its on the platform ramp?

too many questions - i need toast

Nah, try a pasty instead.   Answer is simple - 'boxes with the door at ground level had a little landing where the steps changed direction (unless they had a lowish floor level - which some did, this one hasn't). 

• RMweb Premium

Not a problem, Liskeard has a 18 (approx) stepped staircase from ground level to floor. Penzance has a landing and three further stairs. That would be more "FUN" to model!  

Thanks Craig

• RMweb Premium

Nah, try a pasty instead.   Answer is simple - 'boxes with the door at ground level had a little landing where the steps changed direction (unless they had a lowish floor level - which some did, this one hasn't). 

Mike,

I think you'll find he's probably already had a pasty. The toast will just be a top up. 

Here's a couple of photos Craig sent me a while back of the interior stairs on the BZ box...

post-6675-0-93256100-1372595366_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-74136300-1372595362_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-03832600-1372595360.jpg

So my question is - would the landing be for the stairs to continue in an L or a U?

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Continue in an 'L' shape Chris, the landing would basically be where that cupboard is against the back left hand wall.  But in some cases there wasn't a landing as such and the steps were simply angled to take the corner before ending up with the last one or two at 90 degrees to the lower part of the staircase.