The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old buses (and coaches)

Joseph_Pestell

• RMweb Premium

Seems to happen to a lot of preserved buses and coaches, those that are fortunate to make it past the daydreaming pipe dream brigade who weigh them in for scrap after the money runs out that is.  A bus is restored, gets a lovely coat of paint, attends a few shows and then gets parked up when something breaks (or the money runs out again) to then slowly deteriorate again.

A few years later along comes someone else who buys it and the preservation lottery cycle begins again.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

Seems to happen to a lot of preserved buses and coaches, those that are fortunate to make it past the daydreaming pipe dream brigade who weigh them in for scrap after the money runs out that is.  A bus is restored, gets a lovely coat of paint, attends a few shows and then gets parked up when something breaks (or the money runs out again) to then slowly deteriorate again.

A few years later along comes someone else who buys it and the preservation lottery cycle begins again.

Or buy a Metrobus and scrap it almost immediately when the engine falls out.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I liked the music as well as the ride!

In the same vein, a Baltimore, MD trackless trolley (now preserved (indoors) at the Baltimore Streetcar Museum):

BTCoTrackless001.jpg.363b29741a446b7aff21dc9a23a2cc33.jpg

BTCoTrackless002.jpg.0b2d9427ac3fedd3a301c53b3b9c171f.jpg

Edited by J. S. Bach
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Interactive map of British trolleybus systems.

https://www.railmaponline.com/trolleybus.html

Only looked at the Ipswich one so far and there are a few roads that were wired for regular services not shown on the map and the London Road route has been truncated by about half a mile.

They obviously haven't looked at a JC Gillham map or any of the 5+ books on the subject that I can think of that have a wiring diagram in them....

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, petethemole said:

Error 404 : Page not found  

The link is duplicated but is showing as just one. The below should work

https://cbwmagazine.com/stagecoach-heritage-fleet-sell-off/ 

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I've just heard a rumour that this old girl is coming up for sale : 1935 Leyland Tiger TS7, with Weymann body (1950), fully restored by Yorkshire Traction around 1980/81. Used on specials and private hires for a few years, then sidelined after the Stagecoach takeover, it spent a few years on display at the South Yorkshire Transport Museum. It has recently been moved to Stagecoach Chesterfield from where I understand it will be offered for sale.

492.JPG

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

3 hours ago, fodenway said:

I've just heard a rumour that this old girl is coming up for sale : 1935 Leyland Tiger TS7, with Weymann body (1950), fully restored by Yorkshire Traction around 1980/81. Used on specials and private hires for a few years, then sidelined after the Stagecoach takeover, it spent a few years on display at the South Yorkshire Transport Museum. It has recently been moved to Stagecoach Chesterfield from where I understand it will be offered for sale.

492.JPG

It is possibly being offered for sale, though it’s not mentioned on the initial list of vehicles which Stagecoach are to dispose of from their heritage fleet in the coming months.

Details of those for sale are here - https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/heritage-fleets-should-bus-companies-keep-them-going.239334/ but I’m told that this is likely to be the first of several sales as the cost of maintaining the fleet is no longer justifiable.

Edited by RANGERS
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, fodenway said:

492.JPG

1 hour ago, RANGERS said:

It is possibly being offered for sale, though it’s not mentioned on the initial list of vehicles which Stagecoach are to dispose of from their heritage fleet in the coming months.

Details of those for sale are here - https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/heritage-fleets-should-bus-companies-keep-them-going.239334/ but I’m told that this is likely to be the first of several sales as the cost of maintaining the fleet is no longer justifiable.

I believe there was a covenant on that when they "acquired" it stopping them selling it at a future date.

• Informative/Useful 1

17 minutes ago, Busmansholiday said:

I believe there was a covenant on that when they "acquired" it stopping them selling it at a future date.

At the funeral of a former Tracky employee last week, Frank Carter, Tracky's Head man at the time of the takeover, said that although it was widely rumoured to have been true, there never was any such condition attached to the sale.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

I haven't found the word 'Ukraine' in this thread, so I assume that I haven't uploaded the photos I took earlier this year, of the participants of the Bus Running Day for Ukraine, held in and around Lewes. Here is a link for somewhere I have uploaded to ................... http://www.ipernity.com/doc/philsutters/album/1320128

Here are a couple of samples.

Brighton Corporation Leyland Titan in the Ukrainian Appeal Running Day Lewes 3 4 2022.jpg

Seven Sisters 1966 Bristol MW coach Lewes for Ukrainian Bus Running Day 3 4 2022.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
Additional photos
  • Like 6