Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Can Not Read CV

ovbulleid

Hi All, I've just started building a ew DCC layout after many years of just dropping trains on the tracks. I got a powercab system as I was told good things about them and I just put an 8 pin dcc concepts Zimo Z360 chip into my Dapol Sentinal, reasoning this would be a good engine to check the track with. However after putting the chip in the right way round, all I get when I start up the powercab is CAn Not Read CV. Does anyone know how I can get it working?

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

Hi All, I've just started building a ew DCC layout after many years of just dropping trains on the tracks. I got a powercab system as I was told good things about them and I just put an 8 pin dcc concepts Zimo Z360 chip into my Dapol Sentinal, reasoning this would be a good engine to check the track with. However after putting the chip in the right way round, all I get when I start up the powercab is CAn Not Read CV. Does anyone know how I can get it working?

Thanks

Not a system I know, but ISTR reading that the PowerCab cannot read CVs on the main. It can read them, I think, on a programming track. Consult your manual for more, including how to set up a suitable programming track for PowerCab. Anyway, reading CVs on the main is not absolutely essential. Try setting CVs and this should work. Your decoder should, out of the box, be set to the default Address 3. Try that to confirm it will run.

So the powercab doesn't show its start up screen at all?

If you have the track power output disconnected does it load the regular screen?

Please check both of those first. The Powercab DOES support loco programming on the main. You can check the Sentinel better by placing it on a fully separate length of track and trying driving it, as from the factory the chip should be default set to short address 1.

The powercab, despite being a little aged now, is excellent and usually reliable for CV programming, mine has worked very well on the whole.

As noted this may also be a faulty decoder, they do exist.

• RMweb Premium

Best advice is to install JMRI, never had any problems reading and programming chips.

If you've got a Powercab you don't need JMRI.  For day to day running you can read and programme quite satisfactorily using the PowerCab handset. I did go to the quite substantial trouble of getting the necessary interface, then installing and learning JMRI on an old laptop, but to be frank on my small layout I hardly ever use it.

DT

If you've got a Powercab you don't need JMRI.  For day to day running you can read and programme quite satisfactorily using the PowerCab handset. I did go to the quite substantial trouble of getting the necessary interface, then installing and learning JMRI on an old laptop, but to be frank on my small layout I hardly ever use it.

DT

I agree with this. The Powercab is more than adequate for basic CV setting. I use JMRI but only for my American sound fitted because it is much easier for coping with some of the more complex decoders. 

As suggested make sure you get the Powercab startup screen with the track power feeds disconnected.

You should only get 'Cannot read CV' when you actual attempt to read CV either on the Programming Track option or Program on main option and that is usually a faulty decoder or dirt on the track/wheels/pickups.

• RMweb Gold

Was speaking to my brother last night and he told me that he has had problems with a Zimo Mx 600 decoder purchased from Digitrains which did not respond once fitted. He changed to another brand he had and that  decoder worked.

He took the Zimo back to Digitrains who took another Zimo off the shelf, tested that and found that was also defective. The second Zimo taken off the shelf was checked and worked. Digitrains were astounded that they had two defective Zimo decoders........

Maybe the decoder you have is also defective.

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Is it a new decoder? If so, does the PowerCab control the loco on address 3?

Do you have another loco you can test the decoder in?

Did the loco work before you fitted the decoder?

Do you have more success if you gently push the loco down onto the track - I've had problems in N Gauge with locos not being detected as the rail-wheel electrical connection wasn't as good as it needed to be.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

HI

Just to be 100% clear, are you getting this can't read display when you start up the PowerCab or only when you try programming the loco/decoder??

If the former I suggest you power down the PowerCab remove loco and power up PowerCab. Does it now start correctly - Yes then the problem is with the loco/ decoder installation.  No it still shows, repeat power down but remove the two wires in the rear of the panel that go to the track. Does it now show the message on power up. Yes - The PowerCab is defective somehow.  No - You have a short on the track wiring/track itself.

If only when using the Programming options do you have a totally separate piece of track for programming or are you using the main tracks?  As suggested ensure the rail tops and loco wheels are spotlessly clean. 

Archived