RMweb

NNK/MTK Class 508

• RMweb Gold

I have finally started this kit, which has been in the stash for a few years.  Its the No Nonsense Kits (ex MTK) kit for a 4-car Class 508 EMU.  

508_01_zpsotpzuxup.jpg

The bodyshells are in folded etched brass and the ends and other detail bits in white metal.   The bodyshells are quite nice and a pre-folded to the correct(ish) profile with the curved tumblehome.  The sliding doors are part of the sheet and so are almost flush with the bodysides, which is incorrect and looks odd. 

508_02_zpsbytpo8an.jpg

Much has been said on other posts om RMweb about the MTK white metal ends (and I have read a few of these as research for this project).  Theydo  still look better than a recently produced resin kit of this subject and so I decided to persevere with them and did a small amount of work to improve the "face".  I cleaned up the part, widened the main windows with needle files and drilled out the lights.

Before: 508_03_zps0cw8irnm.jpg

After: 508_04_zpslnkgz7id.jpg

Edited by Darius43
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I thought about leaving the flush doors in place but it would have bothered me so I decided to cut them out and re-mount them inset from the main body.    Sliding the bodyshell over the edge of the modelling table onto the cutting mat helped with this.  The pre-curved tumblehome did flatten out a bit with this process but it was reasily re-profiled.

508_05_zpsocrl6q2a.jpg

508_06_zpskfkpctyu.jpg

Only three more bodyshells to go :scratchhead:

To rest my aching arms, I moved on to the bogies.  These are provided as white metal sides with the standard chuncky plastic MTK mounting frames.  I had bought a bag of plastic bogies cheap from somewhere a few years ago and this included a load of Class 508 style bogies.  These had better and more consistent detail than the white metal sides and were modified to fit on the MTK mounting frames, which were themselves cut back to redued their "chunkiness".  Wheel bearing holes were marked out and drilled.  They run quite freely.

508_07_zpslfmlbugl.jpg

508_08_zpsqbo3ytnm.jpg

508_09_zpsnvuxqnlm.jpg

Cheers

Darius

Edited by Darius43
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Don't know if they would be useful, but somebody is selling 3D printed cabs on eBay which might complement the body sides more than the white metal ones?

I have seen and purchased these - they are resin casts of 3D printed parts.  They look good but the profile (most likley correct) does not match that of the brass bodyshells.  The eBay parts are the first in a series of parts to make a complete kit with the alter parts to follow.

I have decided to persevere with the NNK/MTK kit because I am an awkward sod :sungum:

Cheers

Darius

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Plasticard strip used to create door recesses.

508_10_zpsgzcg6mkn.jpg

508_11_zpsqlxdw3vi.jpg

508_12_zpskpoxuvgc.jpg

Brass doors cleaned up and cemented to plasticard recesses.

508_13_zpsgujbmsq2.jpg

508_14_zpsjmslvdzf.jpg

White metal cab and corridor connection ends fixed and will be left overnight to set.   Will fill joints and then create a better-defined chamfer to the body ends.  This is a distinctive characteristic of these units and the cast parts look a bit wishy washy in this area.

508_15_zpskzbxjfut.jpg

508_16_zpsc3zuxys4.jpg

Cheers

Darius

Edited by Darius43
  • Like 6

Much though I liked the sides of the 313/ 314/ 507/ 508 kit, the cab ends never looked convincing to me, they seemed to be much too tall. or not wide enough depending on your point of view!

In fairness to both Colin and Alistair, their efforts have resulted in something which with some effort, does look like what is a fairly complex shape to replicate.

• RMweb Gold

Started on the underframe using the pressed aluminim part supplied with the kit.  I added plasticard layers to thicken the part to level it with the lower edges of the bodysides.  Screw holes were drilled to enable it to be fixed to the "shelves" moulded with the cast whitemetal ends.  The plastic bogie mounting parts were also screw-fixed to the chassis.  I used plasticard pieces to thicken this area so the screws have a purchase.

508_17_zps2kw4vvum.jpg

The kit-supplied underframe boxes etc. were cemented in place as per the instructions - most of them fitted.  There is a random selection of bits for this but they are insufficient for the complete four-car train so some scratch building will be needed.

508_18_zpsmb5mrvwr.jpg

508_19_zps5vscho5w.jpg

508_20_zpsgb7tmjoh.jpg

Cheers

Darius

Edited by Darius43
  • Like 5

Great job so far Darius - I love the way you turn sows' ears into silk purses. Can I suggest that you check the ride height on the bogies though, as the 313/314/315/507/508 family were lower than standard coaching stock (I've seen 11ft 9ins quoted, compared to 12ft 9ins for Mk1 REP coaches like the one behind in your photo).

Looking forward to seeing the rest of the build.

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Great job so far Darius - I love the way you turn sows' ears into silk purses. Can I suggest that you check the ride height on the bogies though, as the 313/314/315/507/508 family were lower than standard coaching stock (I've seen 11ft 9ins quoted, compared to 12ft 9ins for Mk1 REP coaches like the one behind in your photo).

Looking forward to seeing the rest of the build.

David

Thanks David,

It should be simple to drop the ride height by a few mm. Looking at the roof profile compared to the Mk1 it could do with being lower to avoid loading gauge issues.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thats vome on very quick and I agree it does look good.

I imagine that when it comes to powering the model that because of the combined weight of the 4 coaches that a powerful drive system will be required.

Haveyou had any thoughts on what drive will be used yet.

The kit came with a Black Beatle motor bogie but I plan to graft in the motor and motor bogie from a Bachman Class 108 DMU. I have done this for other DMU and EMU kits that I have built.

Cheers

Darius

Lowered :)

508_21_zpsbbjveoya.jpg

508_22_zpshc6xzefy.jpg

Cheers

Darius

Looking at the ex 508 trailers that were used in the 455 build shows quite well the difference in profile and height when compared to a Mk3 derrived unit:

455714%20455740%20Barnes%20240306g-M.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Rainstrips added using plasticard strips and kit-supplied brass wire.  Kit white metal roof vents added.  Plastcard doorsteps added.

508_23_zpsnqdr6zvl.jpg

508_24_zpsf1u4gnpf.jpg

508_25_zpsdgkvaumw.jpg

508_26_zpsshndqtnl.jpg

Cheers

Darius

• Like 5

You;ve made a rather good job of that. The cab is never going to be quite right with those castings sadly,  but you've made them look better than the resin ones I've seen.

Bloody Marvellous,

I've been ramping on about building MTK kits for a while.

Yes, they are a challenge, yes, they are 'of an age' but put in the work which you so obviously have done!!! you end up with a great finished result!!

Keep up the good work.

Chris.

• RMweb Gold

Made a start on an interior for the driving coach. A plasticard template was shaped (took two attempts) to create the door vestibule and carriage end partitions.

508_27_zpst0xkjeon.jpg

508_29_zpsadyyymfv.jpg

The template was used to make several more - each partition was laminated from two sheets for rigidity. The door vestibule partitions had the glazed and walk-through areas removed and brass wire used to form the grab rails. The coach end partitions had the doors scribed in place.

508_30_zpsb6vt1bmd.jpg

Partitions cemented in place - the door recess plastic helped reinforce this connection.

508_31_zpsuaz1pz3n.jpg

508_32_zpslnfn92nu.jpg

Floor and seating units constructed. I had one less seat than the prototype in order for people's legs to fit between the seats - I know space for people's legs and arms was not really a consideration in the full-sized trains but there is a limit to observation of the prototype.

508_33_zpsp8cb6k4v.jpg

As the floor width is wider at seating level than the gap at the base of the bodyshell (due to the tumblehome) the seating units were split lengthways so that they could be inserted without having to pry apart the boodyshell.

508_34_zpswtyyh3uu.jpg

508_35_zpshfyt0wvs.jpg

508_36_zps3e8r3h5r.jpg

Cheers

Darius

Edited by Darius43
  • Like 3

I am the person who is developing the new resin kit for the class 507/508-313, 314, 315 emu kit, not to be confused with the Ayjay models resin kit.

Here is a selection of pic's showing the cab front and coach rear.

The roof's and sides are currently being 3d designed.

post-3546-0-57807400-1495464915_thumb.jpg

post-3546-0-68877900-1495464933_thumb.jpg

post-3546-0-00775300-1495464959_thumb.jpg

post-3546-0-15163300-1495464979_thumb.jpg

post-3546-0-14226100-1495464998_thumb.jpg

post-3546-0-76219100-1495465015_thumb.jpg

post-3546-0-47218900-1495465077_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

Darius, looks good and a great promotion for mkt/nnk as they really are not as bad as all the knockers state. Given the potential kits that are now sitting with Phoenix precision it would be nice to see ones such as these released...maybe the updated website might satisfy us and allow the missing gaps of dmu/emus to be modelled again.

The 3d printed one by piranha is in another league compared to the ayjay version.

Now if you decide to follow it up with some southern design units and other units (electrostars, networkers etc) I would be very interested!

• RMweb Gold

I considered grafting the Piranha cab and end onto the MTK body shell but the profiles were different and I would need to saw 10mm of each end of the body shell.

That and having to butt join the resin cab ends made me persevere with the kit cast ends. Piranha is releasing the resin kit part by part so eventually there should be sufficient parts available to build a complete carriage.

Until that time there is this kit...

Our joint efforts should ensure that an RTR model appears before not too long :)

Cheers

Darius

Edited by Darius43
  • Like 3