NNK/MTK Class 508

• RMweb Gold

Well done. I noticed the kadee couplers between the bogies of the leading motor coach and 1st trailer, good idea as they are less likely to come apart. I would remove the curved dropper bar from the couplers as that will minimise the risk of them catching on points.

I had that happen on my 6 car pullman unit I mentioned earlier today. 1 of the couplers mounted at 1 of the cab ends of the unit caught a Y point and derailed the driving coach completely. After that I started removing the dropper bar from all my kadees and have not had anymore derailments.

I have already trimmed most of the Kadee coupler drop bars apart from one you see in the photo, which is in the NEM pocket that slots into the Bachman motor bogie and sits a wee bit lower than the other Kadees. The others are in the Kadee "black boxes" and are screw-fixed to the bogies.

Cheers

Darius

Coming together very nicely Darius - I'm enjoying this build nearly as much as you are! I'm impressed at how square, straight and level you've made the coaches - having built a fair few DMUs from MTK 4mm and Westdale 7mm kits (the latter effectively being higher quality MTK-style kits) in my time, it's a lot harder than it looks to get the results that you're managing to achieve in double-quick time.

Looking forward to the next instalments.

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Coming together very nicely Darius - I'm enjoying this build nearly as much as you are! I'm impressed at how square, straight and level you've made the coaches - having built a fair few DMUs from MTK 4mm and Westdale 7mm kits (the latter effectively being higher quality MTK-style kits) in my time, it's a lot harder than it looks to get the results that you're managing to achieve in double-quick time.

Looking forward to the next instalments.

David

Thanks David.

The NNK brass bodyshells were supplied individually wrapped in tissue and, most importantly, were not supplied slotted together (like MTK aluminium bodyshells) and so were not distorted. The brass is quite thin and so is easier to fix to the white metal ends. I also did a lot of trial fitting and put marker lines across the joints once I was satisfied with the locations so that the ends could be fixed with the proper alignment.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

why is the chassis block still in the chassis? Isn't the driving vehicle heavy enough on its own?

I'm not sure I understand the question. If you mean the gray coloured metal block, that contains the motor that powers the motor bogie and it is required to be fixed to the chassis for the motor bogie to push the train along.

Without it the chassis and body shell are not that heavy.

Darius

Edited by Darius43

• RMweb Gold

This is looking good.

Did these units have the same lovely brown and green seating that the 313s and 315s had in the 80's?

hmm lovely...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/54701885@N03/5950674671/in/faves-84026478@N03/

:bad:

Excellent picture that brings back memories - and will be used as a guide for the painting of the interiors :)

Cheers

Darius

• RMweb Gold

Painting started. Cabs first, followed by the rail grey. Left to dry overnight and then masking applied for the rail blue coat.

post-29162-0-10791700-1495948906_thumb.jpg

post-29162-0-63417400-1495949183_thumb.jpg

post-29162-0-44591200-1495949269_thumb.jpg

I removed the brass wire "eyebrow" rainstrips above the doors to make masking easier. They will be re-applied after painting.

Cheers

Darius

Edited by Darius43
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Another fan of halfords spray cans I see. Would that be Vauxhal mustard yellow for the front?

Guilty your honour :)

The Rail Grey and Rail Blue are Phoenix enamels thinned and airbrushed, however.

Cheers

Darius

Edited by Darius43

• RMweb Gold

Made a start on the "face"...

post-29162-0-06387300-1495984840_thumb.jpg

post-29162-0-80705600-1495984913_thumb.jpg

Plan is to leave the paint to dry overnight and then seal it in with Klear before masking and painting the black surrounds to the cab windows tomorrow

• Like 6

Darius

Super job there, I bought a Nononsense/MTK Bristol railcar to build (having built a MTK Wagon Basher years ago) from Alistair some years ago. Yesterday I got a Highlevel Pacemaker assembly to drive it. Having an extension built at the moment so everything is packed up at the moment, but your thread gave me the momentum to start the project

• RMweb Gold

you've done a really good job on that and painting it up brings it to life

Darius

Super job there, I bought a Nononsense/MTK Bristol railcar to build (having built a MTK Wagon Basher years ago) from Alistair some years ago. Yesterday I got a Highlevel Pacemaker assembly to drive it. Having an extension built at the moment so everything is packed up at the moment, but your thread gave me the momentum to start the project

Talk about making a silk purse out of a sow's ear, Darius, that looks very good indeed.

Thanks guys. I'm really happy with how things have turned out so far - this has been a lot smoother to build than the last MTK kit that I built.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 1