RMweb

NNK/MTK Class 508

I am doing it part by part as its easier for people to buy rather than fork out for a full kit in one go, the parts comprise of  a full cab front end, full rear end with roof and sides as one piece, a full roof,each coach bodyside sections in 2 pieces, so that all variations of the class 507/508- 313/314/315 can be done along with the trailer coach that was removed from the class 508 and inserted into the class 455.

once all the full coach parts are done the window etches will be done.

Finally the coach floors, underframe components and bogies will be done.

Here is a pic of what it should look like once fully built up in its unpainted form, this is a render of the original as built class 313 with the large roof pods that were later removed, the roof pods will be a separate moulding from the main roof part.

post-3546-0-81284100-1495534054_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

The 3d design of the bodysides and roof's has started this week, the company who does this has design slot times I have to wait for as they have other customers who they are doing designs for, I already have a full driving coach bodyshell test piece.

Everything has to be perfect with the final 3d design, once the masters are 3d printed it would come at a massive cost to me if something was slightly wrong with themas they are 3d printed in ultra high definition detail.

• Like 2

508_36_zps3e8r3h5r.jpg

Coming along very nicely there. The NNK kit seems to have been a reasonable upgrade over the original MTK incarnation which had aluminium bodyshells (just like the prototype ironically ;)). With work and patience, they can make up into a decent model but like you, I got through an awful lot of filler along the way. Here is my 313 which I built in my "yoof".

http://s234.photobucket.com/user/Karhedronuk/media/DSCF2043.jpg.html

Edited by Karhedron
  • Like 1

I am the person who is developing the new resin kit for the class 507/508-313, 314, 315 emu kit, not to be confused with the Ayjay models resin kit.

Here is a selection of pic's showing the cab front and coach rear.

The roof's and sides are currently being 3d designed.

Hi Piranha 230,

That is truly excellent. I do not think that your cab front component could be confused with that of any other manufacturer...

Colin

Edited by Colin parks
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Started on the motor coach today using the motor from a Bachmann DMU (obained as a spare chassis from eBay - not wrecking a complete DMU for the motor).

post-29162-0-46890500-1495554314.jpg

The motor block and motor bogie are removed from the Bachman chassis.

post-29162-0-77293800-1495554405.jpg

DMU bogie sides removed and Class 508 bogie sides cemented in place.  Other bogie assembled at the same time.

post-29162-0-57817400-1495554443.jpg

post-29162-0-50805400-1495554478.jpg

post-29162-0-60030900-1495554511.jpg

post-29162-0-11886600-1495554534.jpg

post-29162-0-65042800-1495554574.jpg

Hole for motor bogie cut in MTK aluminium chassis and chassis sides cut down by 1mm in motor location to get correct ride height.  Plasticard strips cemented either side of hole to strengthen chassis and to provide a fixing point for the Bachmann motor block.

post-29162-0-39588200-1495554610.jpg

post-29162-0-55538500-1495554654.jpg

post-29162-0-87693300-1495554676.jpg

post-29162-0-96344300-1495554700.jpg

Cheers

Darius

Edited by Darius43
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I m guessing that the bogie side frames came from a 15X DMU? You may want to consider removing the molding of the brake shoes as unlike the 15X the 508 would have had disc brakes.

Thanks Titan, I'll get the brake shoes removed.

Cheers

Darius

• RMweb Gold

Added pickups and wired up the trailing bogie.  Motor wired up and in place.  Will solder wires to some circuit board in the centre of teh chassis and then attach a DCC harness to the board.

post-29162-0-92374100-1495560771.jpg

post-29162-0-27100000-1495560791.jpg

post-29162-0-66164200-1495560811.jpg

post-29162-0-25377900-1495560832.jpg

Cheers

Darius

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

DCC harness and wires connected to circuit board - space left for possible connection of LED lights .  Tested on DCC and works fine - hurrah!!! 

post-29162-0-98568800-1495603593.jpg

Wires tidied up within depth of chassis.

post-29162-0-65345200-1495603620.jpg

post-29162-0-70827400-1495603650.jpg

Cheers

Darius

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Second driving trailer bodyshell nearly finished - needs roof rainstrips and vents plus some body side details to be added. The shell is not fixed to the chassis yet- just popped it on to check the fit.

I also replaced the cylindrical tanks next to the bogies with new ones fashioned from plastic tube and card - the kit-supplied ones were too large in diameter and looked wrong.

post-29162-0-82591200-1495644414.jpg

post-29162-0-15005900-1495644480.jpg

post-29162-0-07687300-1495644496.jpg

Cheers

Darius

Edited by Darius43
  • Like 5

Some bloke built a 508 unit in P4 with working sliding doors and door warning lights many years ago.

Was the one you're thinking of a 508? There was a model of a 314 which, if I remember rightly, inhabited a Scottish Region layout (maybe Carstairs?) in the 1990s or early 2000s and had working doors operated with memory wire.

Some bloke built a 508 unit in P4 with working sliding doors and door warning lights many years ago.

I think that might have been one of the MERG members who did the Ally Pally stand a few years back. I recall seeing it, it was rather impressive. Or at least there was a unit with working door lights, opening doors and 3rd rail pick up iirc, if it was the same person I can't recall.

Gordon Hopkins who is also an RMweb member built that 4 car 508 and I think he did also build the 314.

There was an article about the 508 in the 1990s that was published in 2 months of the brm magazine.....

That's the one. I think I have a photocopy of the article in the files somewhere......

• RMweb Gold

I am the person who is developing the new resin kit for the class 507/508-313, 314, 315 emu kit, not to be confused with the Ayjay models resin kit.

Here is a selection of pic's showing the cab front and coach rear.

The roof's and sides are currently being 3d designed.

That seems a much more sensible way of doing it, by which I mean you will have the joint in a place where it will be easier to match up with the sides. And it looks way better than the Ayjay (not that that is too difficult!).

I don't understand why MTK used white metal ends at all. Would seem simpler to me to do the cab ends in etch with a fold line.

My association with modelling the PEP derived units all started one Saturday in the very early 80's during a trip to the 'Comp Shop' in New Barnet to buy a few extra 'K' of RAM for my UK101 computer.

The contrast between the smooth running of the Class 313 with airbag suspension I rode there from Moorgate and the Class 302's I was used to on the LTS was quite impressive, so I started to look at the possibilities of producing a model of a 314 for use on our forthcoming 'Carstairs' layout.

Nothing RTR came even close (to this day!), so I had a go with resin casting. This resulted in the 314 model shown in another thread, produced in 1986 and shown in one of the MRC display cases at IMREX a year later.

Moving forwards another 11 years or so, 'GWC1' on here was about to start exhibiting his layout 'Effingham South', based around Southern Region EMU operation. Still having the moulds from the 314, I decided to have a go at producing an original four car 508 to run on the layout. As I had the means and capabilities to try out all sorts of unusual features during the build, it ended up with a lot of things incorporated which (to my knowledge) had never been done before, certainly not in the way I was planning to do it. This was before DCC came to the fore as a controlling medium, so much of what I did at the time could be achieved much more easily nowadays.

Memory wire was just becoming commercially available at the time, so I adopted this as the means of operating the sliding doors.

Using actual third rail pickups was another desire - after all, the 314 had a working pantograph, so why not?

Lights were another obvious item to include, including the door operation indicators, of course.

To achieve all this, the obvious solution was to make the floor/chassis of each coach as its own printed circuit board incorporating the circuitry needed for the functions within that coach.

Overall control of the unit, including the Infra-Red remote control link, was performed by an Atmel 89C2051 processor.

To provide all the connections required between coaches, I devised a 7 pin PCB based rigid coupling, which worked well both electrically and mechanically as the coupling.

The windows were produced using clear plastic sheet and some special rub-down transfers I had made for the window frames.

Most of the work was done over a period of about 3 months, between Christmas 1997 and Scalefour North 1998 (I think). Frightening to think it was that long ago!

The BRM article appeared in the latter part of 1998.

The unit hasn't been displayed on the MERG stand for some time now, as we simply don't have space for it with all the demo other kit as well.

• Like 1

I remember seeing that unit running on the layout at Scalefour North, and that memory of watching a unit stopping at the station, the doors opening and then closing a minute later and the unit departing has stayed with me since. I have often wondered how it was done, I found it amazing.

• RMweb Premium

I don't understand why MTK used white metal ends at all. Would seem simpler to me to do the cab ends in etch with a fold line.

MTK kits were made in the 1980s long before PCs were available cheaply. As the cab ends are complicated, it would have been very difficult to produce a workable etching by hand. The only way then was to scratchbuild masters to make the moulds from.

• RMweb Gold

However, as the unit being built in this thread will not have rubber tyres to add tractive effort, the whitemetal ends will do the job on the 508 that the rubber tyres do on my pullman unit and thus give the motors the added umpff they will need to make the 508 speed along on long sections between stops.

The cast metal mounting block that Bachmann use for their DMU motors provides a decent amount of weight directly over the motor bogie. So far it has had no problems pushing and pulling itself and the other driving car under DCC at low speed. The test track at home is only 4 feet long so high speed running is not an option (or advisable as there is a three foot drop at the end ).

I also have some self adhesive tyre balancing weights that are useful if added mass is required.

Cheers

Darius

Edited by Darius43

• RMweb Gold

MTK kits were made in the 1980s long before PCs were available cheaply. As the cab ends are complicated, it would have been very difficult to produce a workable etching by hand. The only way then was to scratchbuild masters to make the moulds from.

I prepared etches myself before the computer era.

The maths involved in working out that compound curve might be a bit complex if one could not use the original drawings or measure the real thing. But no particular problem to draw it.