Wire trees for Bishopscombe

As I've always fancied making my own trees I have finally got round to having a go!

I thought I'd share a few pictures of my first attempt at a wire tree.

Now bearing in mind this is the first time I've ever tried this I'm quite pleased with it.

A couple of pictures of the 'bare' tree;

post-10377-0-77012800-1495821277_thumb.jpg

post-10377-0-11692600-1495821291_thumb.jpg

It's made from 1mm beading wire, which is nice and soft - and easy on the fingers! The basic shape can also be altered later.

Now with it's first covering, there are still some bare branches - especially at the exrtremities - but once this coat of glue has gone off I'll do some more from different angles. The 'bark' is milliput.

post-10377-0-16229400-1495821584_thumb.jpg

post-10377-0-36042500-1495821598_thumb.jpg

Photos aren't brilliant, sorry.

Now I've got the bug, and more wire is on the way!

Les

Edited by Unicorn1
  • Like 4

Thanks for the comments - the wire armature took me a couple of hours to make, this one used 20 metres of wire wrapped around an 8 inch former to make a 4 - 5 inch tree.

The foliage is Busch Foam Flock, this colour is their 'light green' No 7361. It costs £2.25 at my local model shop, and a little goes a long way.

The only problem I've encountered is with the glue, I need to find a spray adhesive that actually 'sticks' to the painted wire better, and dries quicker. This used BluTack 'fast tak' - I had a can to hand, but 12 hours later it's still wet!

Les 

After some experimentation I have planted the prototype tree from the previous post on the layout. Behind it is tree '2' which was made using the same method. They look much better in proper daylight.

post-10377-0-83509200-1496507775_thumb.jpg

The 'roots' area is just some DAS, which once hardened will be painted and some scenics added.

Les

• Like 2

An article about mass producing trees for Pendon suggested using a hot glue gun to cover the wire frame. I tried this and would not now use anything else. It's very easy, you just layer on the glue and give it some texture using the hot nozzle. Any shiny parts can be roughened with an emery board. Spray with various greys and dry brush some lighter highlights. This makes a flexible structure and obviously won't crack if knocked. I use Woodland Scenics foliage which comes as crumbled foam on a fine nylon matting which can be torn into say one or two inch pieces and then stretched out to give a fine airy look. I just use dabs of PVA on the branches and lay on the foliage. When dry I spray with hair spray to help retain the foliage crumbs.

People underestimate tree size, in 4mm you need some to be at least 10 inches high.