10T covered salt wagons

spikey

Seeing as how I've never seen a real one of these, I have to ask - were they used for conveying loose salt or bagged, and how were they loaded and unloaded?

They were mostly used for carrying household table salt in boxes. One of the reasons for the bright liveries was advertising. Loaded through the side doors like a normal van. Not all of them had the cottage roofs, many of them were curved. The roof was solid and designed for rapid drainage to stop water seepage ruining the pure table salt.

Bagged and loose salt for preserving and industrial use was mostly carried in open wagons. Sheeted depending on use. There was a decent article in one of the Modellers Back Tracks about them a few years ago with photographs of loaded wagons, most of them normal PO 5 and 7 plank opens. It was a massive industry and there were hundreds of them in the sidings in the photographs.

Here's a bit of information with a photograph of wagons being unloaded.  http://www.miac.org.uk/saltunion.html

And here are drawings of wagons with the slogans "Falk Salt in Cartons" and "Use Falk Salt in packets", with more information.

http://mike.da2c.org/igg/rail/12-linind/salt.htm

Jason

I was surprised to read in a book about the wantage tramway that a town as small as that had regular (which is not to say frequent) arrivals of one of these, bringing an entire load that was then split between all the local shops, bakeries etc ...... an excuse, if one were needed, for an interesting wagon on a BLT layout.

K

I was surprised to read in a book about the wantage tramway that a town as small as that had regular (which is not to say frequent) arrivals of one of these, bringing an entire load that was then split between all the local shops, bakeries etc ...... an excuse, if one were needed, for an interesting wagon on a BLT layout.

K

That's a good point actually. I reckon that small local industries such as a bakery or dairy making cheese must have got through quite a lot of salt back in the day.

Jason

That's a good point actually. I reckon that small local industries such as a bakery or dairy making cheese must have got through quite a lot of salt back in the day.

Jason

A bakery would use between 5 and 7 grammes per loaf, which would soon mount up into appreciable quantities. Other big consumers would include bacon-curing works like Harries of Calne.