Oxford 2017 - Announce - 'Oxford Structures'

Mike at C&M

• RMweb Gold

Journalists have been using this phrase for years.  It's code for 'we've been given a press release which is embargoed until <date/time> so we can't officially say what it is or they'll take us off the mailing list, but here's what it will be'

It still isn't news until they tell us what's in it.

There is indeed a Construction Plant range as it is listed on the next releases teaser on the previous blog, the interesting part of that though is what appears to be an entirely new 1/76 range with 14 items listed for Q1 2018 release (its just shown as 1/76 and all the other ranges are listed), I guess all will be revealed on Thursday when Lyndon will be on Facebook giving his usual preview!

Edited by wamwig

New range coming this year - Oxford Structures.  Taff just mentioned it on the Oxford Diecast Facebook page but as the announcements are of diecast models, there's no further details yet.  Suspect it may be some new Ready to Plant range with synergies for diorama modellers for the diecasts and the railway range.

I hope he avoids the chocolate-boxy world of Hornby and gives us some more gritty 50s and 60s stuff which is a damn sight more useful than the Miss Marpleshire stuff Hornby tend to favour!

Posting just made reference the Rail Range:

"If you need more info on Oxford Rail then visit the rail website over the next few days for more details. The information on this release (Q2/2017 June-September 2017) will be made available to the trade tomorrow (so you are more important 1f600.png), so this is an advanced preview of the liveries and tooling that has been added to our schedule. This is also a chance to get updated on the information for the unreleased products that have already been announced. Every item on this listing is already in tooling, or we have pre-production shots, or final production shots."

The reference to "this release", "tooling" and "liveries" are referencing the new diecast announcements tonight, but the post suggests more rail news coming to the rail website soon, probably including more on the structures range.

From the Oxford Diecasts Collectors Facebook Page

"Just a note now on Oxford Structures
The new and initially modest range of buildings offers the modeller a selection of finely detailed resin moulded buildings that are painted to a truly exacting standard.

This new Oxford Structures range of buildings has been separated into two distinct groups. The first could be simply described as domestic buildings and grouped under the Oxford Structures heading of Town and Country. The initial range will consist of two shops, a 1930’s... style bungalow, plus a thatched cottage. Also included is a beautifully styled country church and of course the obligatory Pub!

Closer to the railway tracks we have sought inspiration from the Great Western Railway with superb model example of a characteristic Station as well as suitable platform sections. There is a Signal Box, a truly impressive Water Tower and a Goods Shed. And what collection of railway buildings would not be without a single track Engine Shed. All these models carry the distinctive design DNA of the GWR and each detailed model has been carefully crafted to capture the real essence of ‘Gods Wonderful Railway’.
You can get more information in the coming days from the Oxford Rail website."

So, RTP and kettle flavoured chocolate boxery.  Still, it's a start.

why oh why does everybody go for GWR steam structures. Why cant we have some good old dark northern stone structures like mills and terraced houses, or some 50s, 60s council houses and blocks of flats, or some well worn industrial buildings.

I suspect Taff is playing it cautious for the first releases and is going GWR and village architecture for the collectors, much in the same way as Hornby Skaledale did at first.  I would hope he will then take the Bachmann approach and do some more normal, "gritty" and more modern subjects rather than going toe-to-toe with Hornby in the Miss Marpleshire market which they still seem to favour.

However, I still welcome the range announcement as a new competitor and look forward to seeing the actual models quite soon - pictures should be coming on the Oxford website over the next few days.

Thanks for all the information both on this thread and the other.

I hope the church is of a realistic size, and not the normal small chapel type.

The image of the cottage shown last night indicates a much bigger footprint than the typical Skaledale offer. Your wish may be granted. Downside might be price and weight/shipping cost for those without a handy Oxford Structures stockist.

• RMweb Premium

Oxford Rail have a Dean Goods and Toad brake van in progress so I'm not surprised that GWR station architecture will be available to match.

It'll be interesting to see which style they'll choose and if they're based on surviving structures. I'd be happy if they chose some of Brunel's Italianate designs, e.g. the survivors located at Mortimer (Berkshire) which were the subject of a Pola kit https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mortimer_railway_station

why oh why does everybody go for GWR steam structures. Why cant we have some good old dark northern stone structures like mills and terraced houses, or some 50s, 60s council houses and blocks of flats, or some well worn industrial buildings.

You could always make your own. There are plenty of kits and materials available plus and books on the subject to guide you.

That way you get to create a unique model.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for all the information both on this thread and the other.

I hope the church is of a realistic size, and not the normal small chapel type.

Do you mean something like this in the heart of GWR (Well B&E!) territory:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/13/Exeter-28Ap11-wyrdlight.jpg/1280px-Exeter-28Ap11-wyrdlight.jpg

Keith

• RMweb Premium

The platforms will be interesting. We already have Bachmann Scenecraft, Hornby Skaledale & Plastic, plus countless other companies versions too. Looking forward to seeing Oxfords range.

Interesting development.

I have often admired many of these RTP resin jobs, but have never felt able to justify spending the amounts they cost on buildings, an area where I can shift for myself.  But, they are a great development, and further choice can only be welcome.

There is more to the North than Dark Satanic Mills.  Some of it could even grace the lid of a box of chocolates!

I like to think there is room for both grunge and non-grunge in our miniature landscapes.

Just received an email from Oxford, and the appearance of their new buildings seems a vast improvement on the thick window bars and clumsy doors that have graced many of Hornby's offerings.

Let's give credit where it's due, and though I, for one, have been very disappointed with their locos, these buildings really do seem to have 'upped their game' by a considerable margin!

Just received an email from Oxford, and the appearance of their new buildings seems a vast improvement on the thick window bars and clumsy doors that have graced many of Hornby's offerings.

Let's give credit where it's due, and though I, for one, have been very disappointed with their locos, these buildings really do seem to have 'upped their game' by a considerable margin!

I look forward to seeing the pictures.  Sounds like reasonable variety in the lineside range and I do like a bit of GW infrastructure.

I have always liked their diecast stuff. Of all the stuff they have tried, RTR railway equipment is probably the most technically challenging, and I am sure they will get there eventually. 

• RMweb Gold

When it comes to ready made buildings my wish list is basically two from almost the opposite ends of the spectrum, 50s council houses and flint cottages

• RMweb Gold

You mean like Hornby's Skaledale NER stuff?

GW stuff is less generic than it might first appear, especially on branch lines which were promoted as independent railways but 'operated' by the GW, then bought out by it after a few loss-making years had sapped the local capital's enthusiasm.  Structures on a branch might exhibit some standard features, but beyond was another world...

I would support Ox's new venture, of course, I model the GW in South Wales and some of their stuff might be very useful to me, but in general I agree that the GW is an overplayed hand in the trade.  Yet there are still some gaps; no non-corridor compartment coaches other than the very restricted use B sets, a very limited range of auto trailers with nothing pre-1927, no proper panelled bogie coaches in current production; ok, Andy, I'll stop wishlisting now!

But a bit more 'it's grim oop north/dark satanic mills' stuff would be good; even the GW went to Birkenhead via the West Midlands, hardly chocolate box country!

Edited by The Johnster

But a bit more 'it's grim oop north/dark satanic mills' stuff would be good; even the GW went to Birkenhead via the West Midlands, hardly chocolate box country!

Henley in Arden?  Stratford on Avon?  Warwick?  Leamington Spa?  Shrewsbury?  Not many dark satanic mills around those places, in fact many places south of Birmingham and north of Wolverhampton are so chocolate box you could develop type 2 Diabetes just gazing out of the window.

• Like 3