Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Exhibition layout riders

I seem to recall some local chancers trying to get not only nearly 30 people as "helpers" on their club layout during a 3 day weekend show, they then tried to claim their entire fuel expense... for every single day.  Their request for nearly $1000 was dismissed as ridiculous.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

"I must be a exhibition managers dream, I only ever claim for fuel!"

So, how do the requests for three tons of best Welsh nuts go down?

K

I know of a gay bar in Cardiff where they'd go down very well indeed...

• RMweb Gold

I wonder if anyone had come across any layouts for exhibitions that have any unusual riders on there info sheets. I have not come across anything too weird, normally good accommodation, tea coffee etc, but it crossed my mind that someone may have written or requested something odd like smarties in the accommodation in a bowel with the blue ones taken out!

David  

This piqued my curiousity, so I tried keeping a few in a bowel. I wouldn't recommend it.  It wrecked 'em.

Also confused the hell out of the dog.

Edited by 2mmMark
  • Like 1

Never had any riders, asked for, but I have added some to layout invites, mostly with regard to the sound volumes of some dcc layouts, backed up by a 2 1/2 lbs ( just over a kg) toffee hammer, placed in full view of those it was aimed at.

My layout isn't dcc but is occasionally very loud - not all the time but just occasionally mainly to entertain youngsters. How would that go down?

One thing exhibition managers need to keep careful control of is the number of operators. More operators than necessary increases expenses and also provides free entry to people who might otherwise pay at the door. I have done the opposite of this - paid to go into an exhibition and then found myself operating a friend's layout that was short staffed.

I would never get too many operators- but certainly different layouts have different needs - Denton Brook had a team of four for RAILEX, but were looking at increasing that to five as it is so labour intensive to operate. Scenically its only 8' long!

I'm sure its all meant as 'harmless banter' - or 'bantz' as the young people call it - but perhaps before posting jokes about gay bars etc its worth bearing in mind there may well be users of this forum who are gay or ###### and perhaps such 'banter' isn't quite as funny to them.

I'm sure I'll get accused of being po-faced or political correctness gone mad, but to me its just a case of good manners.

Edit - I can't quite believe that the software filters out the phrase for female homosexuality. Come on - its 2017

Edited by TomJ

Regarding fuel expenses, has anyone submitted or known of one being made in mpkwh? I'm going to a show at the weekend and am taking the Wife's Zoe, but it's a 67 mile round trip and at the moment the predicted pessimistic range when fully charged is only 64 (but it does increase with use).

• RMweb Gold

I wouldn't admit to knowing that myself...

Well, perhaps I'm more confident in my sexuality.  Anyway, I only know of it...

Actually, I have a good friend who is of the lesbian persuasion, and go for a beer with her sometimes.  She's twice the man I'll ever be...