Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Exhibition layout riders

Special mats can be purchased that work even better, we use that at work for machine operators then tend to be stood in one place for most of their shift, makes a huge difference.

That's interesting, do you know what they are called?

many years ago when my layout was at York show my team and myself requested to be put up in a B&B even though we only travelled about 35 miles, however this request was so we could enjoy the after show activities and not have to worry about drinking and driving.

Whilst at the show we were provided with bottled water every day as we entered, each exhibiter was asked how many 2 litre bottles they would like. The whole show was organised fantasically and my whole team had a great show.

If you ever get the chance to be behind the barriers take it, it gives you a whole new view of what it takes to make an exhibition work

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I'm type 2 diabetic, even when grabbing snacks to fill up when feeling a bit vague wouldn't see that as an exhibition expense.

Surely expenses are what you wouldn't spend if at home? Transport costs, o/n accom if needed but not evening meal. Lunches borderline if not given by organisers either as food or a cash payment. You'd still have to eat if at home.

• RMweb Gold

If you ever get the chance to be behind the barriers take it, it gives you a whole new view of what it takes to make an exhibition work

I'd welcome the chance.

Somehow, though, I doubt if I'll ever experience it (not a moan, or a plea for sympathy - merely a statement of fact).

Huw.

• RMweb Premium

I wonder if anyone had come across any layouts for exhibitions that have any unusual riders on there info sheets. I have not come across anything too weird, normally good accommodation, tea coffee etc, but it crossed my mind that someone may have written or requested something odd like smarties in the accommodation in a bowel with the blue ones taken out!

David  

I thought the request was quite reasonable ...

https://albionyard.wordpress.com/exhibition-manager-information/

• Like 1

Thanks, off to have a look on eBay now!

Halfords also stock interlocking  floor mats under Garage Essentials.

I bought two sets, which made up mats for each of the three operating positions, when we took London Road to Warley 2016. The NEC has concrete floors and we found the mats  worthwhile.

All the other shows we have done had timber floors (sports halls) and we haven't found a need to use mats at those.

In response to David's question about "riders", I have never added any, other than checking whether barriers are provided. However, in an ideal world I would like a ban on;

• Clever b*st*r*s who like to show their knowledge by loudly pointing out a "mistake" on a layout.
  • People who hang there cameras over the layout with the strap dangling near signals, buildings, etc.
  • Parents lifting their children over the barriers, with kicking legs getting very close to the layout as they do.
  • People sneaking around the end of the layout to look at the fiddle yards and disrupting the operators concentration.
  • Ban certain traders from the loading area after a show until everyone else has got away safely (I could name names, but won't).

Of course, these are things that an exhibition manager can't control, but it gave me a good opportunity to let off steam.

Jol

• RMweb Gold

Seriously though, I have known and still do know of exhibitors who have a roll of stair carpet strip as part of their equipment.

You ought to try being inside the barriers sometime it's a totally different view of things and very enjoyable.

John

Yes we often have carpet or rubber matts when we have Phatbob helping us and he is travelling in his vehicle. We even have a beer fridge although quite often there isn't any beer due to venue requirements or that we have to drive after the show.

I do remember one helper asking if we were far enough away from a particular trader as he had fallen out with them. No names will be mentioned!

• RMweb Premium

Never had any riders, asked for, but I have added some to layout invites, mostly with regard to the sound volumes of some dcc layouts, backed up by a 2 1/2 lbs ( just over a kg) toffee hammer, placed in full view of those it was aimed at.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Seriously though, I have known and still do know of exhibitors who have a roll of stair carpet strip as part of their equipment.

You ought to try being inside the barriers sometime it's a totally different view of things and very enjoyable.

John

When I exhibited 'Holland Park' we always had a strip of carpet the length of the layout. It's surprising what a difference it makes standing and walking on carpet rather than a hard floor. It was a advantage having a carpet fitter as one of my operators.

Instead of carrying a roll of carpet round with you, why don't you just cut some pieces to fit inside your shoes?

Mike.

Instead of carrying a roll of carpet round with you, why don't you just cut some pieces to fit inside your shoes?

Mike.

Surely a square of carpet attached under your shoes is better, as it gives the sensation of being on a real carpet, and you don't need special shoes several sizes bigger than normal.

Pedant.

Mike.

, and stop calling me shirley.

Mike, I didn't know you were coming to the meeting at my place (in Shirley) on Sunday...I mean, you are welcome to, but it's a bit of a trek from the UK. !

James (who lives in Shirley, BC, Canada)

• RMweb Gold

Mike, I didn't know you were coming to the meeting at my place (in Shirley) on Sunday...I mean, you are welcome to, but it's a bit of a trek from the UK. !

James (who lives in Shirley, BC, Canada)

It's an even bigger trek from Spain James!!

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

All this talk of carpet .... Mr EW will be along with his very noisy hoover soon....

Worst floor we exhibit on is the engine shed floor at Toddington for the diesel gala - there again at the end of July

Time to order some cushion sole shoes I think....also knee pads are key in case (or when!) the need to go under arises....

Phil

I must admit that I have been an exhibition manager for the last five years and I have never had any unreasonable requests. In fact, because it is a charity show, many layout owners waive or even give back some of their expenses. The only request I have ever had is from one of our regular supporters who always asks for the same spot and that is never a problem. I actually have and more problems from a couple of traders who made a fuss about paying their stall rent - they don't usually get welcomed back. We do have a some extremely good regular traders who come back year on year.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

many years ago I invited a layout to come to our show in Leeds. Everything was OK until I read an added on sheet of paper...it requested:

1   a hotel which supplied soft toilet tissue

2   the same hotel had to provide hot chocolate drinks before bed time

3   hotel to supply hot evening meals at nil cost to the exhibitor... including a bottle of wine...

I was going to cancel the invite but the layout owner sold the layout...

Baz

Edited by Barry O