Bachmann 94xx

OnTheBranchline

• RMweb Gold

The coronavirus is clearly going to affect everything and anything coming from China, including this loco, but I will be willing to bet that many delays that are attributed to it are going to be exaggerated or even untrue.  Nothing to be done about it; the 94xx will get here when it gets here, but I really wish Bachmann would stop announcing expected dates and then putting it back.  I will watch with interest to see if delays to the 94xx are in line with those to the Hornby 5101, another model that has hit problems meeting it's announced delivery date.  To be fair there is little Bachmann or Hornby can do about the situation, but I think it is fair to criticise Bachmann for complacently allowing the delays to build to this extent over several years.  Hornby's very aggressive announcements last January were followed up very quickly by releases, and must have been a bit of a wake up call.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

With my very naughty cynics hat on, I'd 'suggest' that there is enough time delay to slip in a price rise or two. This 94xx project is probably the last Western-based model loco that Bachmann will release, so you can't really blame them if they milk it to death. 

Happy modelling,

Ian.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, tomparryharry said:

With my very naughty cynics hat on, I'd 'suggest' that there is enough time delay to slip in a price rise or two. This 94xx project is probably the last Western-based model loco that Bachmann will release, so you can't really blame them if they milk it to death. 

Happy modelling,

Ian.

What makes you say that Ian?

khris

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, kandc_au said:

What makes you say that Ian?

khris

Hi Khris. By way of reasoning, the field of suitable subjects for a market such as Great Western, continues to diminish exponentially. I would proffer the question:- Where will Bachmann go for their next model?  I'm making an honest assumption that the 94xx will be their last one.  

I'm not about to knock Bachmann, and far from it. However, in my experience, I wouldn't be surprised if there is a price premium charged for what will ultimately be 'The Last Release'. 

Having said that, I've been wrong before.....

Happy modelling,

Ian.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I think there's still plenty of scope for new RTR (G)WR loco models.

There are pre-Churchward loco classes yet to be done and, as technology and fine scale quality move ever onwards, many others that could be profitably updated.

Imagine the humble 57XX pannier tank with compensation, conversion to EM designed in, easy-fit DCC, built-in keep-alive, speakers and firebox flicker, optional top-feed (!), wide choice of GWR/BR shed codes, etc., etc... They would sell like hot-cakes!

Maybe I'm "straying into the realms of fantasy" but it's a nice place to visit occasionally! :smile_mini:

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

Hi Khris. By way of reasoning, the field of suitable subjects for a market such as Great Western, continues to diminish exponentially. I would proffer the question:- Where will Bachmann go for their next model?  I'm making an honest assumption that the 94xx will be their last one.  

I'm not about to knock Bachmann, and far from it. However, in my experience, I wouldn't be surprised if there is a price premium charged for what will ultimately be 'The Last Release'. 

Having said that, I've been wrong before.....

Happy modelling,

Ian.

There is in fact one not a million miles removed from the 94XX. The Hawksworth 15XX perchance ? Then perhaps his County,which is currently served by Hornby’s less than perfect rendering.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

There is in fact one not a million miles removed from the 94XX. The Hawksworth 15XX perchance ? Then perhaps his County,which is currently served by Hornby’s less than perfect rendering.

Bulldog, revisited small prairie, Manor, Saint, DeGlenn Compound, Aberdare...

Running for tin hat!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, TrevorP1 said:

Bulldog, revisited small prairie, Manor, Saint, DeGlenn Compound, Aberdare...

Running for tin hat!

4 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

There are dozens of GWR prototypes that could be made.

Even with just the 4-6-0s there is the County, Manor, Saint, Modified Hall (cough)….

Then the myriad of 4-4-0s (they already have the correct chassis for some of them from the Dukedog and City models).

Jason

Yes, exactly.

A proper, fine scale Dean Single (in 4-2-2 form) could be a showstopper in the mould of the Stirling Single and the upcoming D class.

Where's me tin hat? I'll have to re-pot the petunias.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

10 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

There are dozens of GWR prototypes that could be made.

Even with just the 4-6-0s there is the County, Manor, Saint, Modified Hall (cough)….

Then the myriad of 4-4-0s (they already have the correct chassis for some of them from the Dukedog and City models).

Jason

Not just the Modified Hall, but I think there is still room for a definitive original Hall.

Hornby's is the design clever era compromise and I've found Bachmann's to be the one of the least good runners of recent times, as well as needing to take out a large chunk of the weight to convert to digital (and it's not particularly heavy to start with). You would hope a Hall/Modified Hall would take 8 (Bachmann MK1s) on the flat without any problems, my Bachmann Hall will take 6 with the weight still in, and 4 once dcc fitted.

If a manufacturer (unlikely to be Bachmann now) could do tooling that catered for both Hall and Modified Hall to the standard we see from Accurascale, Sutton's etc I think it would sell well.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

I remain to be proven wrong, and my letter of apology to the posters on RM Web remains here. 

It is well known that I do indeed get it wrong, and as such, I'm well used to issuing apologies. Time I'm sure, will tell.

Happy modelling,

Ian.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, tomparryharry said:

I remain to be proven wrong, and my letter of apology to the posters on RM Web remains here. 

It is well known that I do indeed get it wrong, and as such, I'm well used to issuing apologies. Time I'm sure, will tell.

Happy modelling,

Ian.

Well they could shift their priorities to railways that painted locomotives a proper colour.

Quite a few thousand LNWR/L&Y/MR/CR/LMS locomotives that could be produced instead....

;) 

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Harlequin said:

I think there's still plenty of scope for new RTR (G)WR loco models.

There are pre-Churchward loco classes yet to be done and, as technology and fine scale quality move ever onwards, many others that could be profitably updated.

Imagine the humble 57XX pannier tank with compensation, conversion to EM designed in, easy-fit DCC, built-in keep-alive, speakers and firebox flicker, optional top-feed (!), wide choice of GWR/BR shed codes, etc., etc... They would sell like hot-cakes!

Maybe I'm "straying into the realms of fantasy" but it's a nice place to visit occasionally! :smile_mini:

Not so sure, but I get where you’re coming from.  The 57xx you describe, perhaps with interchangeable cabs to represent 8750s, might break the £200 barrier for small 0-6-0 tanks; for that sort of money I’d want working inside motion and valve gear as well.  And then I’d be unhappy with all my other locos that aren’t up to scratch. 

I reckon the cost would put most people off.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

Not so sure, but I get where you’re coming from.  The 57xx you describe, perhaps with interchangeable cabs to represent 8750s, might break the £200 barrier for small 0-6-0 tanks; for that sort of money I’d want working inside motion and valve gear as well.  And then I’d be unhappy with all my other locos that aren’t up to scratch. 

I reckon the cost would put most people off.

Just doing simple things, like the front sander rods, would be a start.... For what it's worth, late series 8750 panniers didn't have a drivers side injector. The fireman had 2 at his disposal, both on his side. When we stripped down 9629, the water valve bosses were on the one side only. 

A nice early-lot pannier would be nice, say Lot 256-ish. 

Cheers,

Ian.