Bachmann 94xx

OnTheBranchline

• RMweb Premium
On 09/08/2019 at 14:59, The Johnster said:

Lovely little thing, and if Bachmann reckon they can sell J72s, this should go like hot cakes.  Sadly, not to Cwmdimbath as none were ever allocated to Tondu.

Would photographic evidence of one passing through Tondu be enough. I’m sure someone has the photoshopping skills necessary if that would help. :-)

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
On 02/08/2019 at 09:58, Miss Prism said:

3405-1956-small.jpg.896ab00a2368eebd938d3e60d084d874.jpg

3405 looks newly-arrived from Sheffield at Swindon, 1956. Presumably Meadowhall Works delivered the rods separately.

Here's a quick question. What is the number of the pannier directly behind 3405?

Cheers,

Ian.

• RMweb Gold
On 02/08/2019 at 09:58, Miss Prism said:

3405 looks newly-arrived from Sheffield at Swindon, 1956. Presumably Meadowhall Works delivered the rods separately.

I remember seeing locos moved to and from works with the rods tied together in the cab.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

They appeared regularly on the 'Cheltenham Spa Express', hauling it between Cheltenham and Gloucester Central, where a Castle was coupled to the other end.  This was a restaurant car express and the loco carried express headlights.  Photos of the New Tredegar branch, the 'stub' of the 'Old Rumney' tramroad that had been absorbed by the Brecon and Merthyr and curtailed by a landslide at Abertwsswyg, just beyond New Tredegar in the upper Rhymni Valley in the 30s, usually show one with a B set, working from Machen Jc.   The ex-LNW shed at Tredegar in the next valley over had an allocation as well, which I believe worked passenger trains to Risca from there and possibly through to Newport as well.  

Probably plenty of other examples of them on passenger work as well.  They are not really a branch passenger loco, though, being 'red' route restriction and too heavy for most branches.

2 hours ago, The Johnster said:

They appeared regularly on the 'Cheltenham Spa Express', hauling it between Cheltenham and Gloucester Central, where a Castle was coupled to the other end.  This was a restaurant car express and the loco carried express headlights.  Photos of the New Tredegar branch, the 'stub' of the 'Old Rumney' tramroad that had been absorbed by the Brecon and Merthyr and curtailed by a landslide at Abertwsswyg, just beyond New Tredegar in the upper Rhymni Valley in the 30s, usually show one with a B set, working from Machen Jc.   The ex-LNW shed at Tredegar in the next valley over had an allocation as well, which I believe worked passenger trains to Risca from there and possibly through to Newport as well.  

Probably plenty of other examples of them on passenger work as well.  They are not really a branch passenger loco, though, being 'red' route restriction and too heavy for most branches.

Would they have been seen between say Gloucester towards the Forest of Dean, towards Worcester area or out to the Welsh borders?

• RMweb Gold

I believe Worcester and certainly Gloucester had them, but I doubt they penetrated into the Forest of Dean much; they were restricted to ‘red’ routes, and the ‘yellow’ 57xx/8750s did the work here.  They’d have certainly been seen on the main lines, though!

• RMweb Gold
On 16/08/2019 at 15:44, Steamport Southport said:

If you look at the current September 2019 Steam Days there are a few photographs of them on genuine passenger trains in the Thames Valley. Genuine as opposed to station pilot duties.

Jason

One was a regular on our branch for some years although the local Driver wasn't very keen on it because he was a bit short of stature and had to stand on a box. (which was a big reason why some Drivers didn't much like them - especially when shunting).

They were definitely not permitted in the Forest of Dean - too heavy

• Informative/Useful 1

In addition to Miss Prism's post regarding 9463 at Penzance, there were two 94xx's allocated to Penzance in 1958/59; 8409 and 8473. Must have been well hidden because photos of 94xx's there are rare. In Chris Leigh's book Rail Routes in Devon and Cornwall, there is a photo of 8492 at Truro on a passenger service to Falmouth. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Of little use to anyone except those planning to model Devonport Dockyard woth pecketts and other nice little things, and want 'big engines' to be included: I remember seeing 8422 leaving the Yards on a freight after one Navy Days....probably 1958 or 59.

Poor Bu##er Janner.

P

• Like 2