The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Le Tour de France 2017

Mike at C&M

I expected and predicted fireworks today and wasn't disappointed :no:  Strong performance by the Slovak (or is he Slovenian, can't recall) as the first TdF stage winner from that country.

Slovenian. The Slovaks have had a stage winner in someone called Peter Sagan...

Excellent stage today. Guess the green jersey issue now resolved so much less likelihood of any last day shenanigans being in amongst the scrapping and scrabbling for the last few maillot jaune points.

Yes, but a great shame that Matthews has won the jersey almost by default, when it was building to an exciting contest between him and Kittel.

• RMweb Premium

Quite true, because that's the nature of undetectable abuse.

For me at least, the clear evidence that the sport as a whole condoned the now acknowledged abuses has left it permanently tainted. The reputation that has taken many years to earn, lost by proven conspiracy. You can repair the broken china plate, but the crack will always be there. It's over for me...

Sadly, I agree. I started watching the TdF in the early 80's and still vividly remember Greg Lemond and the Badger riding up Alpe d'Huez together, one of the great moments of sport. Over the years I saw so many scandals and always the sport offered the same excuses and tacit acceptance of doping. Scientific training is nothing new, unless I'm the only one who remembers Paul Koechli, Francesco Conconi, Michele Ferrari etc, and when we were told that Armstrong's ascendancy was down to his high cadence technique. The most bizarre was when we were told Gianni Bugno had been transformed by listening to classical music. Always the same rationale to explain unfeasible performances, better equipment, better training, better race tactics etc etc. For me I never regained my interest after the Pantani tragedy. The sport still tacitly accepts doping (why are riders like Valverde and Contador still feted?) and it is sad that people extend a generosity to our own riders they'd not extend to others, let's be honest how many British fans would still have any faith in Wiggins if he was Spanish or Italian?

Edited by jjb1970

• RMweb Premium

Tactics seem to be different these days which might explain some of the anomalies, with a preference for a late attack rather than going hard from the start.

Itself an indicator that it's cleaner now - riders don't have the 'means' to ride hard on their own for hours and survivevtge follosing day. Arguably it's made for more boring racing - Froome's victories have all been quite 'negative' - do well in TTs, cement your position in the mountains by marking/stopping attacks. Think back to Armstrong, he could time trial, but was still out attacking up mountains to pull out a bigger lead.

• RMweb Premium

Itself an indicator that it's cleaner now - riders don't have the 'means' to ride hard on their own for hours and survivevtge follosing day. Arguably it's made for more boring racing - Froome's victories have all been quite 'negative' - do well in TTs, cement your position in the mountains by marking/stopping attacks. Think back to Armstrong, he could time trial, but was still out attacking up mountains to pull out a bigger lead.

What about the bit where every year (apart from this one - though it may still happen today) he's ridden every "greatest climber in the world" off his wheel?

• RMweb Gold

Well done Primoz Roglic. A superb effort by a convert from another sport. Loved his 'jump landing' celebration on the podium.

Not only was he a jumper he was also a 'flier' off the big hill. Scary stuff!

post-6728-0-65727400-1500533391.jpg

• RMweb Premium

What about the bit where every year (apart from this one - though it may still happen today) he's ridden every "greatest climber in the world" off his wheel?

Nothing like Armstrong, he's snatched a few seconds here and there, yes, but not minutes. Armstrong's margin of victory was typically 6-7 minutes.

• RMweb Gold

Nothing like Armstrong, he's snatched a few seconds here and there, yes, but not minutes. Armstrong's margin of victory was typically 6-7 minutes.

.....was typically 6-7 minutes, 3 injections and a box of pills!

• RMweb Premium

I wasn't suggesting he is anything like Armstrong - just that you had understated what Froome does in the mountains: it's a fair bit more than cementing.

All over bar the procession around Paris?

Just left wondering where Landa might have finished had he been given the same support as the three in front of him, instead of dutifully sacrificing his own ride to bring back an isolated Froome.

Gary Imlach last night commented that is the final standings give or take a second or so. Presumably Bardet will be keeping a very close eye on Landa otherwise he could be off the podium if he somehow gets gapped. Maybe Froome will be aware of the potential for Sky to really annoy the French and instead of crossing the line with the whole Sky team as one will arrange for all the top GC riders to do so instead.