The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Le Tour de France 2017

Mike at C&M

If it is nearly July, it is nearly time to do about 3,500 kilometres around France on a bicycle.

With France's iconic race starting in Germany on Saturday, how about we set the wheels rolling by having a 'plump' at who might be in the maillot jaune in Paris in just over 3 weeks time.

I don't feel that Froome is as invincible as he was, despite a very strong Sky team around him. With other previous winners also seeming to be on the downward slope (Contador and Nibali, for two), could we be at the start of a new era?

I am sticking my sixpence up the nose of Richie Porte. (Sorry, Richie, if this proves to be the kiss of death to your chances!)

• RMweb Premium

I imagine Froome will get it, but agree he's not in the form he has been previously, whilst Porte is clearly riding well.

Cavendish to get a token stage win, Sagan to ride with more flare and panache than the other 197 riders combined and take green by a country mile.

Hoping for a strong showing from Geraint Thomas, he's always good value and has been rather down on his luck this year.

Expecting some "do or die" breakaways with top quality gurning from Thomas Voeckler on his farewell tour.

Can't wait!

• RMweb Gold

I'd be surprised if Quintana wasn't in the mix. I guess the issue for Nibbles, Quintana and Porte is always whether they can be consistent enough to not have a bad day.

Froome doesn't look in peak form but he doesn't often have a stinker of a day which the others quite often do.

I'll plump for Quintana with less TT km IIRC this year.

Cheers Mike

• RMweb Premium

Will Quintana look even more weathered this year?! He looks about 65 already. I want to like him, but just can't get behind him. Nor Nibbles actually.

Some friends are off doing the "Tour de Force" riding the entire route a week ahead of the pros. Sod that. Gives me a good preview of all the stages though with detailed topography!

I hope it doesn't happen, but given the spectator stupidity on some of the climbs in previous years, it wouldn't surprise me if the whole GC order is upset by an "incident".

I don't think Quintana has the oomph to lead with the yellow jersey over several stages - but I think his team-mate Valverde could be the surprise overall winner if he comes out from under Quintan'a shadow and given the right team support to riding his own race.

• RMweb Gold

Has anyone got the 2017 race iPhone/iPad app to download? All I can get following the link from the TDF site to the I-store is a reload of the 2016 version.

Updated. - have finally got the 2017 version downloaded!

Edited by john new

A shame about Valverde, as he regularly proves to be a catalyst for things to happen. I suspect that Quintana is now worried about his chances of overall victory.

A great display by Geraint Thomas. The delight on his face when he realised he had won was priceless. After many years of sterling service, he now gets a richly deserved reward.

I have a tenner on Quintana for the overall at 7/1, so I know where my allegiances will lie.

Actually, I might have got better odds now given that Valverde is out, but hey-ho.

Froome's odds were far too short for me to bother with.

Edited by jonny777

I have watched the replay about 20 times, and IMO Sagan has no excuse.

He sould be disqualified from the race.

All this nonense about Greipel making him move right is rubbish, it happened about 100m earlier.

Sagan is too arrogant for words, and can't just barge other riders out of the race. 

• RMweb Premium

Too harsh I think.

Sagan did deviate from his line a bit, but it was already a chaotic sprint. He was slightly unlucky in finding Cav in the space he wanted to occupy, but I saw no malicious intent.

I personally thought the 80 points was a little harsh in itself, a racing incident which had some rather nasty consequences I thought.

I've seen far worse in most bunch sprints I've contested!

• RMweb Premium

Shame for him, he was showing some good form given his terrible early season.

Shame for the race to have lost two of the most exciting riders. Still, blows the green jersey competition wide open, probably fall to a 'proper' sprinter for the first time in a few years. Wouldn't be surprised to see Kittel hanging onto it.

• RMweb Gold

Looking at the replay, I don't think there is any doubt that Sagan sticks out an elbow rather than go shoulder-to-shoulder.

I think Cavendish himself accepted everything as just part of racing, apart from that elbow.

• RMweb Gold

It comes a surprise that in this day and age the UCI doesn't have any ex racers involved with the commissars in the 'rules interpretation' (or so it has been reported) . F1 seems to have got it right with their 'ex-racer' involved with rules decisions on the day.

Edited by Re6/6

Looking at the replay, I don't think there is any doubt that Sagan sticks out an elbow rather than go shoulder-to-shoulder.

Here's why I'm inclined to agree - see photo on this page:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/40506450

Only Sagan himself can know if it was intentional or merely trying to make himself wide so that he could be the one of the wheel of the rider in front.

Slow mo replay of the film taken by the helicopter on ITV4 clearly showed Cavendish hitting the barriers / falling before Sagans elbow ; the latter was a reaction to his bike being knocked off balance and seeking to correct it. Nearly everyone seemed to be moving to the right up to Cavendishs fall and therafter Demare moved sharply to the left to find space and only missed colliding with Bouhanni due to Bouhanni being aware of the danger, stopping peddling (and presumably hit the brakes)  If Sagan was guilty of changing his line so was Demare, in fact more so - so whatever punishment Sagan got Demare should have got as well. No way should Sagan have been expelled.

[Conspiracy Theory] Hang on, Demare is French  and has just won the stage so lets overlook that, and lets expel Sagan so neither Sagan nor  Cavendish can win the Green jersey and pave the way for a French winner [/Conspiracy Theory]

Edited by Butler Henderson