Photobucket - What is going on?

Oldddudders

I would strongly advise people not to pay any money to Photobucket.  Their current move may put them out of business, or so damage them reputationally that they will eventually fold.

There's a hole in my photobucket, dear Liza.

There's a speedo dial in my photo.

Perhaps they'll fix it.

G.

I suppose if a free service is exploited in such a way that it is no longer viable, then the outcome is pretty inevitable.

DT

I wouldn't disagree, it's simply the inept way in which PB has gone about it which staggers me.

Tony

... but, i say again, the strange thing is - although they are saying you need to upgrade to a $399 per annum account, when you read their details, the ad-free account at $2.99 per month does not preclude 3rd party hosting - indeed that is what I have, and (certainly at present) my photos are still there.

Obviously though, this crass move may well see them under regardless.

trying smugmug...

i can also hide the album that picture is in and the picture is still visable on here so people cant just click on one of my pics and browse the rest of my pics (as photobucket was)

Can you say why that matters to you? My feeling about my own photos is that once they are "published" somewhere on the net (and I include RMweb in that) they are in the public domain. Do you sell your photos?

Chaz

Edited by chaz

As I said earlier, embedding private photos from Flickr is possible

15453666477_b053370d6e_b_d.jpg

Each image has a unique URL for each size. For example the one above is 15453666477_b053370d6e_b_d.jpg. If I change the last b to another letter I will get a different size e.g. o is original size, c is 800x600

Edited by Talltim

• RMweb Gold

As I said earlier, embedding private photos from Flickr is possible

15453666477_b053370d6e_b_d.jpg

Each image has a unique URL for each size. For example the one above is 15453666477_b053370d6e_b_d.jpg. If I change the last b to another letter I will get a different size e.g. o is original size, c is 800x600

Modelling the Whipsnade railway Tim? ;) Edited by PaulRhB

... but, i say again, the strange thing is - although they are saying you need to upgrade to a $399 per annum account, when you read their details, the ad-free account at $2.99 per month does not preclude 3rd party hosting - indeed that is what I have, and (certainly at present) my photos are still there.

From reading the new terms, "ad free" is just the free account and subject to the same 3rd party hosting conditions, your payment for ad-free just hides the adverts for you, but not for anyone else.

Regards

But if you are paying for the service (however little) there is an implicit contract between you and PB. They will be wary of treating you as abruptly as us freeloaders! Of course there may well be a (possibly notional) renewal date - which could be as early as the end of the month - when you might find the same draconian change to your T & Cs. Not a happy thought for you but it might be time to think through what you need to do.

Chaz

Can anyone see any problems with using a facebook account to host photos?
I have a few alias accounts with no friends linked to them and thought about using one instead of photobucket to host my pictures.
Pictures are easy to upload to albums and just post the url in the image properties box and it is free.

Here is a test pic...

19748406_435567990160629_455892972324215

Edited by Free At Last

• RMweb Gold

Why not just upload to the forum though for one off posts?

If you are posting on a couple of forums it makes sense to paste and just edit the text to be relevant but if this is the only place it's faster to upload here than copying links across. If you're in a pc then you can load multiple images at once.

• RMweb Gold

Note also that uploading in the forum means they are visible to all. A lot of social media sites are blocked by work systems so you can't see if browsing on breaks or instead of working ;)

It gets worse !!

Amazon images broken by Photobucket's 'ransom demand'

Thousands of images promoting goods sold on Amazon and other shopping sites have been removed after a photo-sharing service changed its terms.

Ebay and Etsy have also been affected, in addition to many forums and blogs.

The problem has been caused by Photobucket introducing a charge for allowing images hosted on its platform to be embedded into third-party sites.

The company caught many of its members unaware with the change, prompting some to accuse it of holding them to ransom.

Denver-based Photobucket is now seeking a $399 (£309) annual fee from those who wish to continue using it for "third-party hosting" and is facing a social media backlash as a consequence.

Source  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-40492668

The big boys are involved now !!

Brit15

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Thousands of images promoting goods sold on Amazon and other shopping sites have been removed after a photo-sharing service changed its terms........

The big boys are involved now !!

Well aren't these the people who should be paying?  I reckon that part of the reason for Photobuckets latest action is because its servers and bandwidth are all too often being used for commercial gain by businesses that could and should be paying for such a service.

DT

• RMweb Gold

Yes it's not unreasonable to pay for business or indeed for their hosting but when you hide the change in terms way down an email which most only saw when their account was already blocked it's just asking for trouble.

I pay for my Flickr account but continued using Photobucket for forums was it was quicker to link on the phone. Hey ho Flickr now get all my business as I won't return to Photobucket purely due to the way it was done and extortionate cost compared to other options. Their loss of goodwill means I doubt I'm the only one and they may well lose some lucrative users purely because it's so uncertain what they might do in future.

I was mildly annoyed about the way it happened but just looked on it as a chance to tidy up sprawling threads on other fora. It's a shame as others will lose the hints and links from others contributions that I discovered along the way.

• Like 1

Why Photobucket is changeing its operating conditions is pretty much irrelevant. How they implemented the change and its effect across the world is the point. The way they have implemented this whole thing has destroyed thousands upon thousands of hours of work by millions of people. 14 years of photos illustrating tens of thousands of forum posts, blogs, charity sites, sale sites etc have now been left with holes were photos used to illustrate the subjects discussed have now been made worthless. If it isn't actually criminal it seems pretty close and was definately unethical in my opinion. I would never trust Photobucket again and I certainly would never give them any money after this type of behaviour.

They don't give a sh!te about you loosing 14 years of dedicated work, spending all those (thousands of) hours you claim. Because they didn't get paid by you hosting your photo's on their servers :no:

Welcome to reality, where money rules :rolleyes:

Well duh! That's pretty obvious by their actions....so what's your point?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

14 years of photos illustrating tens of thousands of forum posts, blogs, charity sites, sale sites etc have now been left with holes were photos used to illustrate the subjects discussed have now been made worthless.

All is not lost. You can simply pay them $399 and your work will be restored.

For 14 years hosting that's $28.50 per year, or less than $2.50 per month, which seems reasonable to me.

Then you have 12 months to move the photos somewhere else before they want another $399, or they close down, whichever comes first. But this time, have a paid-for contract for your photo hosting.

regards,

Martin.

All is not lost. You can simply pay them $399 and your work will be restored.

For 14 years hosting that's $28.50 per year, or less than $2.50 per month, which seems reasonable to me.

Then you have 12 months to move the photos somewhere else before they want another $399, or they close down, whichever comes first. But this time, have a paid-for contract for your photo hosting.

regards,

Martin.

Sure..thats assuming they actually remain solvent after you pay them. And even if they do, what about the folks, retired or on fixed-income and the not-for profits who cannot afford that kind of money every year. Personally I don't care because I stopped using them years ago...but I suspect we are all going to see alot of holes in various forum posts all over the internet,including here that become virtually useless due to Photobuckets actions. In the meantime just remember, everybody who has bern using their free service did so at the behest of Photobucket....nobody forced them to provide fre hosting for the past 14 years, and nobody stole a service from them.

• RMweb Gold

They don't give a sh!te about you loosing 14 years of dedicated work, spending all those (thousands of) hours you claim. Because they didn't get paid by you hosting your photo's on their servers :no:

Welcome to reality, where money rules :rolleyes:

Wow your in a bitchy mood this morning!

What about us who have been quietly paying to use their servers for the last 10 years, we're in the same situation as the people who don't pay anything?

They basically now want 10x what I used to pay for no extra benefit

Edited by big jim
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

what about the folks, retired or on fixed-income and the not-for profits who cannot afford that kind of money every year.

There is no need to pay that kind of money. That's just Photobucket exploiting a captive market.

You can have your own unlimited hosting for around £8 per month, with total control and no advertising, plus introductory offers for the first year, see for example:

https://www.names.co.uk/web-hosting

Or alternatively it is entirely free to upload photos to RMweb, it is not necessary to use third party photo hosting at all. The forum pages load much faster that way.

regards,

Martin.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I may look at the above option in the not too distant future, at the moment I'm still able to link my pictures on here despite only being on the level 50 account

Does the above site allow embeddding to other sites?

I take it you set up a photo gallery on there and can link to it?

Edited by big jim