Class 121 in Cornwall

sc2016

Hi, Could someone tell me what Class 121's ever visited Cornwall or did all of them visit that one stage or another? I'm particular interested for info on ones in/visit Cornwall in 1966?

Thanks, 

Samuel.

There is a photo of one at Perranporth on 7th June 1962 by Robert Darlaston on page 176 of "British Railways - the first 25 Years Volume 5 The South West" published by Lightmoor.  Which one it was or how long it stayed I know not, I'm afraid.

Chris

They were native to Cornwall in the late 70s and early/mid-80s, when W55025, 26 and 33 were all allocated to Laira at various times and regularly worked to Looe, as well as strengthening St Ives services. In terms of the mid-60s, there is an undated photo of a GSYP 121 at Halwill Junction bound for Wadebridge (p50 of John Vaughan's Diesel Days - Devon and Cornwall), which must be between 1964 and 1966. There is also a photo of W55029 at Okehampton in 1969 in the same book - again the photo was taken in Devon, but as a Laira-allocated unit it is helpfully showing both Liskeard and Looe on the destination blind. Not definitive, but compelling evidence that it's likely to have crossed the Tamar while based in Plymouth.

David

• RMweb Gold

They were native to Cornwall in the late 70s and early/mid-80s, when W55025, 26 and 33 were all allocated to Laira at various times and regularly worked to Looe, as well as strengthening St Ives services. In terms of the mid-60s, there is an undated photo of a GSYP 121 at Halwill Junction bound for Wadebridge (p50 of John Vaughan's Diesel Days - Devon and Cornwall), which must be between 1964 and 1966. There is also a photo of W55029 at Okehampton in 1969 in the same book - again the photo was taken in Devon, but as a Laira-allocated unit it is helpfully showing both Liskeard and Looe on the destination blind. Not definitive, but compelling evidence that it's likely to have crossed the Tamar while based in Plymouth.

David

If you google W55029 and Looe there are some photos that were on RMWeb of it in Cornwall. I don't seem to be able to go to the pages, but they are available in the search engine.

Roy

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Cornwall in 1966 was still a county of two railways, LSWR and GWR lines. Single unit railcars were used between Okehampton and Bude and Padstow from 4th January 1965, and between Bodmin Road and Padstow at least as early as that that date, until all those lines closed to passenger traffic. The Okehampton lines closed on 3rd October 1966, the line from Bodmin Road to Padstow on 30th January 1967.

• Like 1

I've found some sightings from 1966.  On 9th August 55025 was working between Bodmin Road and Wadebridge, and on 10th August 55026 was working between Bude and Okehampton.  You have the ever vigilant members of the RCTS to thank for those observations.  By 13th September 55026 was probably getting lonely as it was reported working with fellow bubbles 55017 and 55016 and Class 118 triple 51308+59475+51323 as the 16.30 Goodrington Sands to Exeter St Davids.

55025 and 55026 were transferred to Cardiff Canton in October 1966.

Chris 

• Like 1