Bulleid 2EPB Class 416/1

Not wanting to get distracted from Colins thread but another 3rd rail emu build bring it on. I need to read lots of these type threads to give me the courage to have a go. I am thinking of a conversion to start with. Taking a Bachmann 2EPB and converting it to an ex Tyneside unit.

Keith HC

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

I used the plans from Bulleid coaches in 4mm scale by SW Stratton bought back in about 1985! Very useful book indeed.attachicon.gifIMG_0415.JPG

Might start a thread on the Sheba so far if there's any interest?

Best wishes

Nige

Please, do start a thread on the Sheba. I am always interested in coach building threads.

Hi,

I used the plans from Bulleid coaches in 4mm scale by SW Stratton bought back in about 1985! Very useful book indeed.attachicon.gifIMG_0415.JPG

Might start a thread on the Sheba so far if there's any interest?

Best wishes

Nige

I forgot that included the SUBs. It is a useful book, there are others available on different subjects that have some use.

The Mike King drawings are worth seeking out also, he has a lot of the other types of SUB units taken from the 3s built by the LSWR and the 3s formed from former SECR/LBSCR stock and the Brighton overhead units.

I'd be interested in seeing a thread about your sheba unit.

Not wanting to get distracted from Colins thread but another 3rd rail emu build bring it on. I need to read lots of these type threads to give me the courage to have a go. I am thinking of a conversion to start with. Taking a Bachmann 2EPB and converting it to an ex Tyneside unit.

Keith HC

Original condition or Southern.

Keith HC

I have plans to adapt the mjt sides for this. Though dart castings have said they will be looking to add Tyneside epb version to their range at some point.

Shouldn't be too difficult to change, more details to change on the original condition version Vs ones that went back to the southern.

There's pictures of one of the units at the ERM on my Flickr. It is one converted to southern condition.

Original condition or Southern.

I have plans to adapt the mjt sides for this. Though dart castings have said they will be looking to add Tyneside epb version to their range at some point.

Shouldn't be too difficult to change, more details to change on the original condition version Vs ones that went back to the southern.

There's pictures of one of the units at the ERM on my Flickr. It is one converted to southern condition.

There's

Thanks both for your input. I am considering once converted for Southern use. I am looking at using the Bachmann then adapting using cut and shut replica suburban bodies. Of course the headcode needs to be made the smaller version.

Keith

I won't comment further on the Tyneside stuff on Colin's thread but when you start a Tyneside one I'll have a look.

Made one back in the 80s.

Dave.

Do not worry about commenting here Dave.  

I am having to do a great deal of work to do on the trailing pick-up bogie, which is taking more time than anticipated, hence no pictures of progress for now.  Keith's and Kelly's Tyneside conversions sound interesting and I look forward to seeing Nige's Sheba thread. We cannot have too many Southern EMU topics!

All the best,

Colin

Edited by Colin parks
  • Like 2

Do not worry about commenting here Dave.  

I am having to do a great deal of work to do on the trailing pick-up bogie, which is taking more time than anticipated, hence no pictures of progress for now.  Keith's and Kelly's Tyneside conversions sound interesting and I look forward to seeing Nige's Sheba thread. We cannot have too many Southern EMU topics!

All the best,

Colin

OK.

Tyneside Epbs.

The main trap I think people fall into (if you are concerned with accuracy) is that 'floating' spare window in the extra long guards comp. It's not in the position where you might think a compartment window would have been. It's near but not quite.

Measurements available..

Dave

post-509-0-66174100-1501016192_thumb.jpg

post-509-0-54221300-1501016193_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

The Brian golding book A Pictorial Record of Southern Electric Units: Drawings and Plans should have plans of the various epb types in it. Too modern for mike king to have drawings of iirc.

Be wary of that book, I understand that like the DMU book, there are known issues with some drawings!

Edit:

Autocorrect thinks it knows better than I :yes:

Edited by leopardml2341

The Brian golding book A Pictorial Record of Southern Electric Units: Drawings and Plans should have plans of the various epb types in it. Too modern for mike king to have drawings of iirc.

Sorry, but I consider those drawings a joke.

Had two books but sent them back.

The author has obviously not been too near to SR units or studied photos of them.

Dave

Edited by dasatcopthorne

Sorry, but I consider those drawing a joke.

The author has obviously not been too neer to SR units of study photos of them.

Dave

Sometimes I wonder if even the BR diagram books were looked at :mosking:

Edit: Damn you autocorrect!

Edited by leopardml2341
  • Like 1

Just to round off the Ex-Tyneside units.

Here is the other side of the Motor.

I've played with the exposure to enhance the pipework and to show where the short pipes start and end. They are, of course, longer than the Bachmann ones due to the extended length of the van.

I've also done another compartment cut and paste. Allow for some perspective distortion.

Full size scans available.

Dave

post-509-0-00853100-1501087372_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Be wary of that book, I understand that like the DMU book, there are known issues with some drawings!

Edit:

Autocorrect thinks it knows better than I :yes:

Like all such things, it is best not to rely on just the one book.

Worseley works base their etches on the book iirc and state they can make anything in the book in multiple scales.

The worst aspect I've found have been the vectoring effects, which effects curvature, which is probably what throws things out.

However the epb plans appear to be accurate enough that I've been able to work out. I've not used it for reference for nonBR units as I have a collection of Mike king drawings.

There are also a series of sets of plans by iirc pdh, but those are apparently suspect (though only source of anything like that for post mk1 units in some cases).

There are some of the Tyneside epb on my Flickr, unfortunately it wasn't possible to get down the side to take better photos of it, I'm hoping to get back there in august for the next open day and will see if I can arrange getting better access to it as I'd like to do a couple of models of the Tyneside version.

https://flic.kr/p/WzzZBy

https://flic.kr/p/WzzYhQ

https://flic.kr/p/VpEoar

https://flic.kr/p/VpEn2K can see the southern alteration made, the museum have plans to revert these assuming that the unit and museum find a new home.

https://flic.kr/p/VmY2Vw

As usual with my Flickr photos, if larger versions are wanted I'm happy to provide them via email.

• Like 1

Just a single photo to illustrate the rather meagre output this week (and last!).

Pictured is the state of play with the trailing pickup bogie, which has had some foot boards made for it.  Making and soldering the brackets to these foot boards was, er, an experience.  How these parts are going to be securely attached to the side frames has still to be decided.  Initially, I had thought to 'rivet' them on with short lengths of wire passing though holes in the brackets and side frames and held with superglue.  This now seems a little ambitious - given the scope of my metal working skills and the size of the parts involved.

So far, this bogie has occupied me for more time than all the rest combined, with so many parts to be scratch built. (Have not even started on the bolster or brakes as yet.)

post-8139-0-62000800-1501189969_thumb.jpg

The shoe beams have been glued to the axleboxes, but despite narrowing the side frames of this bogie, the beams are still 1.5 mm over-width. This has implications for the alignment of the pick up shoes with the third rail, so the shoe beams will have to come off and some surgery done to the axleboxes.

Also shown are some parts for the steps which are to be installed on the ends of the chassis proper.

Edited by Colin parks
  • Like 6

Sorry, but I consider those drawings a joke.

The author has obviously not been too near to SR units or studied photos of them.

Dave

Have to agree with you re. the Golding book on SR EMUs Dave.  

Much of it has blatant cut and pasting of incorrect trailing pick up bogies. The pre-war 2 HAL drawing is wrong because Mr Golding forgot to add the thickness of the partitions when calculating the compartment window positions.  The 4 CIG is equally dire, with regard to toliet window positions and much else besides. Based on the miserable experience of using the 'book' for reference on just a few models, it is clear it cannot be trusted, with some drawings being blatantly contradicted by accompanying photos.

Surpassing even Mr Golding for side-splitting fun was an outfit called PDH drawings, whose 2 BIL drawing is almost unrecognisable as such!

Colin