RMweb

Testors Dullcote conundrum

I've just sprayed the 'Planet' with one of my old cans, seems to have come out OK.

Blimey ! Must be a really big can, will it affect the ozone layers around Horrocksford?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I find Precision Paints satin varnish (ready for spraying version) very good, so much so that I ceased mixing my own in cellulose with matting agent. But of course you need spraying equipment.

Larry, when you say 'ready for spraying', is this an aerosol can or is it something in a tin, that can be sprayed without any further 'dilution?'.

Airbrushing is not a problem, I like the older Dullcote aerosol cans purely because they allow me to be lazy and not fire up the airbrush.

• RMweb Gold

The other question I wanted to ask was regarding tins of Dullcote.

Is Dullcote a cellulose-based product, or something else?

What is the best type of thinners to use with it?

You can see where I am going with this - I have a couple of jars of the stuff and when I've used my aerosols up, I could put some through the air brush.

I will persevere with the New European Nice and Safe variety as well, to see if I can get good results.

The other question I wanted to ask was regarding tins of Dullcote.

Is Dullcote a cellulose-based product, or something else?

What is the best type of thinners to use with it?

You can see where I am going with this - I have a couple of jars of the stuff and when I've used my aerosols up, I could put some through the air brush.

I will persevere with the New European Nice and Safe variety as well, to see if I can get good results.

According to the Safety Data Sheet (http://www.rustoleum.com/MSDS/ENGLISH/1160X.pdf) Dullcote is a lacquer.

Jonathan

• RMweb Gold

According to the Safety Data Sheet (http://www.rustoleum.com/MSDS/ENGLISH/1160X.pdf) Dullcote is a lacquer.

Jonathan

Thanks for that link, I wasn't aware of that.

Having read the sheet, and thus demonstrating my complete ignorance of chemistry, I regret to say that I am still none the wiser as to whether I can thin my Dullcote with:

i) Cellulose thinners

ii) Enamel thinners

iii) Acrylic thinners (only got Humbrol at the moment)

iv) None of the above

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I bought Dullcote (3 cans) from EDM models in York. The stuff I bought is the most matte varnish I have ever used.

Chaz

Paul has sent a newsletter to his regular customers to say that Dullcote is back in stock and he also has the liquid variety for brush application.

Don't all rush at once as I'm helping Paul at two shows this weekend and so he won't be able to supply until sometime next week. We should have stocks at the Mickleover (Derby) Narrow Gauge event tomorrow and Bristol O Gauge show on Sunday.

http://www.ngtrains.com/Pages/Glues/gluestools.html?utm_source=EDM+Models+Newsletter&utm_campaign=accb03fd1e-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2017_01_16&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_4f63dec2fc-accb03fd1e-111799425#Potions

I generally use Halfords Satin through most of the painting stages and Dullcote for the very final finish.

Forgive me for asking, but I'm in need of a matt varnish spray at present and was thinking of getting Halfords Matt Lacquer.  If you find Halfords satin alright, why not their matt?  Is there something about it I ought to know?

Paul has sent a newsletter to his regular customers to say that Dullcote is back in stock and he also has the liquid variety for brush application.

Don't all rush at once as I'm helping Paul at two shows this weekend and so he won't be able to supply until sometime next week. We should have stocks at the Mickleover (Derby) Narrow Gauge event tomorrow and Bristol O Gauge show on Sunday.

http://www.ngtrains.com/Pages/Glues/gluestools.html?utm_source=EDM+Models+Newsletter&utm_campaign=accb03fd1e-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2017_01_16&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_4f63dec2fc-accb03fd1e-111799425#Potions

Thanks for the heads-up. Prepare for the rush!! :yes:

I use Testors Dullcote in the blue labelled can and it is very MATT.

I use it to seal transfers and also to tone everything down when I've weathered things.

Here are a few finishes I've completed with it on a few items (all 7mm):

post-14906-0-68035900-1517007134_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-89757600-1517007174_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-95278400-1517007201_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-28103000-1517007232_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-79009000-1517007245_thumb.jpg

I have sprayed Testors over clear plastic glazing and then wiped it clean (apart from the corners) with a cotton bud dipped in white spirit reasonably quickly afterwards. I would recommend testing it on an inconspicuous piece first though.

Also I've recently found a supplier who supplies Testors in a pack of 3 cans for £20!!!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Testors-Dullcote-Spray-Clear-1-2-or-3-Cans-85g-Aerosol/282772401213?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=582055921863&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Hope any of this helps?

Jinty ;)

Edited to say, I've just seen the above offer!!!!!   Damn!    :(

Ah Free P&P from Ebay, £6 from NG..............  Makes me feel a bit better!  ;)

Edited by Jintyman
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Ah Free P&P from Ebay, £6 from NG.............. Makes me feel a bit better! ;)

Trouble is you can only ship the stuff with courier. It might ship cheaper with Herpes but then you only might get it. Mine ships with a next day, signed for and reliable carrier.

(Better just add, that is next day after I send it, not after you place the order. I try to do orders same day but for example this afternoon's rush has happened after I left for events in Derby and Bristol)

Trouble is you can only ship the stuff with courier. It might ship cheaper with Herpes but then you only might get it. Mine ships with a next day, signed for and reliable carrier.

(Better just add, that is next day after I send it, not after you place the order. I try to do orders same day but for example this afternoon's rush has happened after I left for events in Derby and Bristol)

Mine was ordered on the Tuesday at around 12:30 and delivered by courier during the Wednesday with a signature.

But I will certainly order from you in future as I believe in putting my money back into the model railway traders system, and I couldn't find any model railway traders who stocked it.

Jinty ;)

Edited by Jintyman

Paul.

responsible retailers use couriers, ebay sellers often don't. I have received two aerosol cans of carburetor cleaner from an ebay seller through the mail in a jiffy bag. That is a pressured, inflammable item, far more dangerous than a small tin of enamel paint, which PPP have to send by courier.

It is just one of the ways ebay traders undercut proper retailers.

Jol

Absolutely correct Jol

A litre of eBay-purchased IPA arrived through the post in a large Jiffy bag. I just couldn't believe how irresponsible the seller was. A PM to him subsequently met with a dismissive reply. I'm fairly certain that his action was illegal also.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Paul has almost sold out already due to his newsletter to customers and my posting above. He had some with him at the Derby show and there will be a couple of packs for Bristol tomorrow. Could anyone else wanting supplies please wait a couple of days so he can sort out all the orders received over the weekend whilst he has been away from home. More will be ordered but the UK importers are not always able to supply. Keep looking at Paul's website for more information.

Thanks. Mike