Spray adhesive advice for tree making.

• RMweb Premium

Does any one know of a spray adhesive which does not 'string'?

Ive tried a coulpe now, Evo stick and carpet spray adhesive and they both 'string' when leaving the nozzle.

If you try using it on trees it looks like a giant spiders web mess.

I use the carpet spray initially, over any bare frame work or armature, I use it to give coarse material a good grab on the tree frame.

I then use extra hold hair spray for finer material, to give a bit of variation in colour.

This covers up any stringy bits of glue.

I sometimes blow over the trees with either an airbrush or rattle can.

• RMweb Premium

I use the cheapest nastiest hair spray that I can find, tends to work a treat. Other than that I have also used spray mount, which is again very effective. 

• RMweb Gold

I use "Boots" non scented hairspray for light tree work, Spray Mount for medium work and "Wickes" floor spray adhesive well shaken for the heavier stuff.

I would avoid hair spray unless you can be quite certain that you will never touch the trees once they are in place. Hair spray is designed to brush out (think about it) so its bond will be temporary, and any contact - brushing with a sleeve etc - will provoke an effect like autumn.

Having made over forty trees for my On30 layout (so far) I can recommend Ceynix foliage spray or Woodland Scenics Scenic Cement. The snag with the latter is that it will drip off and can make quite a mess if you're not ready for it. The aerosol is expensive but one spraycan will do a lot of trees and it is much stickier so doesn't drip.

post-9071-0-36792600-1499523422.jpg

post-9071-0-02630200-1499523403.jpg

post-9071-0-12337500-1499523386.jpg

Hope that helps.

Chaz

Edited by chaz
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Thank you very much, chaps!

Very helpfull info.

In the end, I had some clear matt spary and then used some hair sparyi had knocking about for other scenery job's.

I will post up my latest efforts later on.

• RMweb Gold

Other than that I have also used spray mount, which is again very effective. 

I too used Spray Mount in the past for affixing foliage, works very well.

• RMweb Premium

This is my first proper effort in actually constructing a tree from its raw materials.

I have made many in the past from so called 'Kits', normally Woodland scenics Items that eventually ended up in the bin as I was never really happy with them.

This latest thing is made from dead heather. I lopped all the 'branche's' off before re-atching them with cyno and baking powder to enable more of  the bulk that a tree has rather than a long spindly appearance of the heather in its natural state. 

Not sure about the Noch 'leaves' that I added, a may omit them next time.

Feel free to let me know what you think as there is always room for improvement.

post-299-0-44892000-1499790130_thumb.jpg

This is it planted on a removable section.

post-299-0-39025600-1499790288_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

This latest thing is made from dead heather. I lopped all the 'branche's' off before re-atching them with cyno and baking powder to enable more of  the bulk that a tree has rather than a long spindly appearance of the heather in its natural state. 

Can you amplify the point re baking powder and cyno please? Not read that one before.

• RMweb Premium

Can you amplify the point re baking powder and cyno please? Not read that one before.

Yes, no problem John.

The baking powder rapidly cures the super glue if you sprinkle it onto the glue whilst wet. When done, just blow off the surplus. Not recommended for a model application obviously, but it works well on something rustic like a tree branch.

Mind you, i found that it still took some patience glueing all the branches back on, anything you do with super glue is not instant when joining the branches but the baking powder speeds up the curing markedly.

Ive no doubt there many easier ways than my approach but the outcome with this one was satisfactory to my eyes atleast.

• RMweb Gold

Yes, no problem John.

The baking powder rapidly cures the super glue if you sprinkle it onto the glue whilst wet. When done, just blow off the surplus. Not recommended for a model application obviously, but it works well on something rustic like a tree branch.

Mind you, i found that it still took some patience glueing all the branches back on, anything you do with super glue is not instant when joining the branches but the baking powder speeds up the curing markedly.

Ive no doubt there many easier ways than my approach but the outcome with this one was satisfactory to my eyes atleast.

Thank you.

• RMweb Gold

I also use 3M to attach the foliage to the seafoam/tree. After sprinkling the scatter, fine, medium and/or coarse grade, I then coat the tree in a cheap hairspray (Extra Hold). 3M isn't cheap, but it does not string!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SprayMount-Adhesive-Spray-200-Transparent/dp/B000J68HBO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1499950011&sr=8-3&keywords=spray+adhesive

Trees below all done via this method.

post-21193-0-69045100-1499950428_thumb.jpg

post-21193-0-97004200-1499950450_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I also use 3M to attach the foliage to the seafoam/tree. After sprinkling the scatter, fine, medium and/or coarse grade, I then coat the tree in a cheap hairspray (Extra Hold). 3M isn't cheap, but it does not string!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SprayMount-Adhesive-Spray-200-Transparent/dp/B000J68HBO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1499950011&sr=8-3&keywords=spray+adhesive

Trees below all done via this method.

Thanks, Ian, very usefull.

Thats a cracking looking layout aswell!!!

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Gary. Your tree does look amazing, and that rock face is superb!!! I wished I had the patience to make the trees like that. I cheated. The bigger trees are twigs with 2 or 3 sprigs on them. I then drilled holes in the sprigs to accept small pieces of seafoam, then added foliage.

The trees near the church are just rows of twigs with one piece of netting over the top, sprinkled with differing foliage to give the impression of several trees. You can only properly see the first two or three anyway. The trees against the backscene are low relief. I used carpet glue, sprayed a tree shape on the backscene, glued a stick to it and then glues woodland scenic undergrowth, bushes and clump foliage to give it 3D look.

Enjoy and hope to see more of your layout

Ian