Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

1970s 8mm Cine Film transferred to Digital

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for posting Jim. brilliant , thoroughly enjoyed watching it. We are obviously of a similar age , so I could relate to it. It was a time of big hair, dodgy fashions, huge lapels, loved it! Did I see a Hillman Hunter? By coincidence was watching it while Pick of the Pops was playing the top 20 from 1974. Talk about a nostalgia fest. What people forget in this digital age was that these films probably only lasted 2 and a half or four minutes and were relatively expensive. We had a Standard 8 Cine which we've converted to Video . It means so much to me as unfortunately both my parents have now passed away. I remember you had to send film off to Hemel Hempstead for processing . The expectation when it arrived back in the post knowing my dad was going to get the projector out that night. Usually it has to be said the film was over far too soon and the exposure dodgy. Thanks for bringing all that back, the Queen Mary round the Kyles of Bute and all those 87s .

Edited by Legend

• RMweb Premium

Really interesting video Jim, class 50s, 26s in Scotland, the Skye Ferry... think I recognised all except one place.

I'm currently getting my cine films digitised, expensive, but worth it. I've left the non-railway scenes in it too.

An interesting reminder of what made that Era special. Yes everything was Blue with yellow ends, which following generations may regard as boring, but the variety came from how Regional everything still was; you had to travel to certain areas to see certain trains, & of course there was still a great variety of loco classes too.

Lovely stuff, I was born in '73 so missed this era but everything was still BR blue by the time I was out and about.

Out of interest what was the football, it feels like it's recognisable but I couldn't place it.

Hi  - this was the 1975 Scottish Cup Final between Airdrionians FC and Glasgow Celtic, it was the first appearance in a final for Airdrie since they won the cup in 1924, unfortunately they lost 3:1 on that day.  The footage was shot from the heights of the old North Stand at Hampden Park which was demolished shortly afterwards,  It was also the last game for Billy McNeil,

Jim

Edited by luckymucklebackit
  • Like 1

Hi  - this was the 1975 Scottish Cup Final between Airdrionians FC and Glasgow Celtic, it was the first appearance in a final for Airdrie since they won the cup in 1924, unfortunately they lost 3:1 on that day.  The footage was shot from the heights of the old North Stand at Hampden Park which was demolished shortly afterwards,  It was also the last game for Billy McNeil,

Jim

Ah interest8ng, I did think it was hampden with the press boxes on the roof but i didn't recognise the lower half of the stand that's what confused me.

• RMweb Premium

Excellent film - the 'bitsa' approach is so like my spotting memories of the time, when I was very young and didn't even have a still camera.

At 16:56 it looks like 'love's young dream' but he was just trying to get his fag lit! :)

Edited by keefer

Great stuff Jim - took me right back! Loved it.

..and 'Snap!' - recognised Crewe Works Open Day 24th September 1977, and matched up an EM1 screen grab with a photo I took on the day...

Snap.jpg.275e7ab1a5435233eccd4e93e530fd7b.jpg

Edited by billy_anorak59
  • Like 3

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just watched this again and noticed a vey rare 'spot'.

Around 8:37, there's  a cl.87 (pantograph at full stretch) hauled train - after the RKB kitchen/buffet it would normally be just TSOs, but one of them has a full-length red catering stripe. This must be M1800 - the unique mk2f RSS (self-service buffet) which was converted (from TSO M5970) in 1974 as a prototype for the APT buffet.

• Informative/Useful 1