Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Modelling mojo and state of mind

• RMweb Gold

With a demo stand slot at the Bridport Show coming up this weekend I managed to get a display stand built from oddments today as (a) it was a dry day and (b) a lull in the other commitments that have been hindering modelling progress for months. Two surplus shoe racks (now turned upside down through 90 deg) married with some bits of 2 x 1, sheets of hardboard and plywood recycled from earlier projects. Yes I could have just bought a pair of spice rack risers but there is some satisfaction from making it yourself. Not only that it cost me nothing that will need replenishing in my stock except for the paint, screws and bolts/wing nuts.

If the weather stays dry ideally the first coat of black needs sanding down and a second coat but that is not vital for Saturday. It is amazing how a bit of crafting, improves morale, especially if it ticks an item of the to-do list.

Edit: 2nd coat added inside in the garage due to the rain but sanding can await a 3rd coat.

Edited by john new
Added the update.
  • Like 6

My mojo is off and running at the minute. A new layout on the go, new avenues of research and new focus stock/era wise. 

HOWEVER, I am finding myself frustrated or disappointed with my results. The hobby is characterised often as requiring super human levels of concentration and patience. "I wouldn't have the patience to do that" etc etc. 

Well, it turns out in areas other than paid work I do not have a lot of patience! I frequently rush processes and attempt things with the wrong tools or under the wrong conditions or use inappropriate materials to "just get it done." This has led to disappointing and frankly terrible results.

20230520_085923.jpg.d3b07fab50cd933323a820b3cfa38f17.jpg

The frustrating bit is knowing the choices are not going to lead to a good result but going ahead anyway (see above) 

I admire and envy the modeller who can do a bit here and there and step back and let the glue dry or the paint cure or see its raining and dont go near the spray paints! When I read "let the glue harden over night" or "spray under warm, none damp conditions" I squirm! 

Edited by westernviscount
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

I know exactly what you mean - primer/paint/hand paint the red bits/weathering - all these stages really need a decent gap between them but I always find myself taking shortcuts.

For black paint I find the Halfords' rattle cans give an excellent finish, kept in the warm, and shaken very thoroughly first.

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, Barclay said:

I know exactly what you mean - primer/paint/hand paint the red bits/weathering - all these stages really need a decent gap between them but I always find myself taking shortcuts.

For black paint I find the Halfords' rattle cans give an excellent finish, kept in the warm, and shaken very thoroughly first.

Thanks Barclay. Yes, totally agree with the Halfords rattle can approach. Again, used many times previously but...i didnt have any right now!! 

As ever, I did fix the above situation with...halfords rattle can applied in good conditions, shaken for 2 minutes and not a second less and applied in light coats and allowed time to cure. 

Why dont I just do this every time!!! 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

7 hours ago, westernviscount said:

My mojo is off and running at the minute. A new layout on the go, new avenues of research and new focus stock/era wise. 

HOWEVER, I am finding myself frustrated or disappointed with my results. The hobby is characterised often as requiring super human levels of concentration and patience. "I wouldn't have the patience to do that" etc etc. 

Well, it turns out in areas other than paid work I do not have a lot of patience! I frequently rush processes and attempt things with the wrong tools or under the wrong conditions or use inappropriate materials to "just get it done." This has led to disappointing and frankly terrible results.

20230520_085923.jpg.d3b07fab50cd933323a820b3cfa38f17.jpg

The frustrating bit is knowing the choices are not going to lead to a good result but going ahead anyway (see above) 

I admire and envy the modeller who can do a bit here and there and step back and let the glue dry or the paint cure or see its raining and dont go near the spray paints! When I read "let the glue harden over night" or "spray under warm, none damp conditions" I squirm! 

Over the years I've found that I'm much better at painting by hand than I am at spraying, whether by rattle can or airbrush, I've just never quite got the hang of it, consequently all my painting and weathering is done by hand. I've also found that having more than one loco / vehicle on the go means I don't get bored with one item and try to get things done too quickly, this way I can move from one item to another, leaving plenty of drying / hardening time between stints and still get things done... eventually!

My mojo took a slight knock today though as I'm currently driving myself up the wall looking for some photos in my hard drive which are relevant to the Milk tank chat in the Hornby thread, so far they've eluded me - what's frustrating me is that I was actually looking at them less than a week ago, but can I find them now..? Can I heck!! 

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

I used to be the same, rushing to do the next job on a model before it’s ready and ALWAYS regretting my haste.

I do tend to use an airbrush or rattle can for my painting, in fact more rattle can than anything as it has the advantage of not need cleaning out like an airbrush. You can keep going back to add an extra coat without any faffing about cleaning anything.

One thing I do is decide before I start what I’m going to do when I’ve done the paint job, that way there’s no procrastinating. Sometimes I decide to leave modelling alone and go and watch tv. As I tend to do most of my spraying outside I may go and do a bit of gardening and come back an hour later and add another coat.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

40 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

I used to be the same, rushing to do the next job on a model before it’s ready and ALWAYS regretting my haste.

I do tend to use an airbrush or rattle can for my painting, in fact more rattle can than anything as it has the advantage of not need cleaning out like an airbrush. You can keep going back to add an extra coat without any faffing about cleaning anything.

One thing I do is decide before I start what I’m going to do when I’ve done the paint job, that way there’s no procrastinating. Sometimes I decide to leave modelling alone and go and watch tv. As I tend to do most of my spraying outside I may go and do a bit of gardening and come back an hour later and add another coat.

Yes, multi-tasking is the key, or is it multi-faffing...?

• Like 3
  • Funny 3

I attempted to "notice" my thinking tonight and left my main project well alone and returned to a "stalled" project. 

I was more successful than I thought and immediately wanted to do more, despite being a bit tired and also starting to feel impatient (I noticed my thinking). It all sounds a bit new age but it helped. I immediately set things aside,  came on here and am now going to tidy my bench. Lets see how that goes!! 

Edited by westernviscount
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Here was the small success by the way...in my opinion.20230726_205836.jpg.77f7635346ae9f06f388aee03c3021ec.jpg

I am modifying a ratio brakevan in the Geoff Kent style and started on the handrails. Quite pleased. If I pull my finger out I could finish it by tomorrow morning and I see it has given rain so will give it a blast with the spray can....nooo!!! Stop!!! 

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

Even done a bit of modelling myself today even though the last couple of days have been rather trying. Not much really but after exhibiting last year a few items of stock needed a bit of attention and most items seem to have been rectified. I’m not really wanting to start something new as I’ve got that many projects on the go  it gets me down seeing them. At least tonight I’ve managed to ‘clear the decks’ a bit.

At exhibitions I don’t buy kits, there seems little point as I’ve got that many to do and being truthful, I’d rather build a layout to run the stock that I already have.

Anyway Goodnight 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

9 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

At exhibitions I don’t buy kits, there seems little point as I’ve got that many to do and being truthful, I’d rather build a layout to run the stock that I already have.

Anyway Goodnight 

I can't stop myself, I have a drawer full. They give me great comfort - sometimes I look at them and gloat. Please tell me this is normal??

3 or 4 added since this photo 2-3 years ago, but one and a half built, so I'm only losing ground slowly!

IMG_20211228_131130_HDR.jpg.87bbcf9d91406b6936250f26084df404.jpg

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Barclay said:

I can't stop myself, I have a drawer full. They give me great comfort - sometimes I look at them and gloat. Please tell me this is normal??

3 or 4 added since this photo 2-3 years ago, but one and a half built, so I'm only losing ground slowly!

The word "normal" has differing meanings.

In the context of RMWeb membership, it is probably normal statistically.

• Agree 5
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Barclay said:

I have only a few loco kits - my model-making hasn't yet advanced to that level - but the size of the collection of unbuilt model aircraft, wagons, buildings, signals etc. is quite frankly, embarrassing.  All bought for model railways that never actually got built for one reason or another.  Then there's the boxes of "projects"; locos and rolling stock remaining from job lots bought on eBay usually, the remainder sold on (often at a profit) but the wanted items are still awaiting the repairs they needed years ago.  A layout to run them on would be useful of course.  Hey, it's now the summer holidays so perhaps I'll get some outdoor modelling time in, maybe the dozens - yes, really - of old diesel bodies to practice detailing and repainting with.......

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Barclay said:

I do the same so I think we are both normal ! ?  🤔

The exception is the Ratio loco kit.

I have the first kit for the 4-4-0.   ALL plastic including the wheels and the handrails moulded on in the best Kitmaster style.  That is definitely not one to gloat over.

I occasionally take it out, wonder what to do with it and put it back again.

Rodney

• Like 6

Tell me about it - I think I bought it around 1987, from The Engine Shed in Leytonstone High Road. The wheels are some sort of Mazac casting though the frames are actually brass. I do look at it from time to time, work out what would need to be replaced, and, as you say, put it back again...

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Barclay said:

It's the same for me only it's books not kits, another GW one arrived less than half an hour ago and there are more to come (GWR, BR WR, BR SR and BR LMR!). Having said that I do have some old Wills Kits bits and pieces lurking in one of the book cupboards which are unopened, and I've got my eye on several 7mm laser-cut building kits at the moment. I don't normally enjoy building things that much, it's the painting and weathering that gets the mojo flowing but I'm looking forward to having a crack at some of these, thanks to other RMWebber's experiences with them.

I'm still delving into the layout topics which is very enlightening, so far this week it's Mojo - 1, The Man - 0.

Another image which is pulling me back to thoughts of modelling the Cornish mainline, technically bloody awful but mojo inducing for me, certainly... D1015 on mainline tour duty at St.Erth in June 2007...

1015389a.jpg.30ab4f92df2e9af67560a4b17f1fbef0.jpg

A 'sort of' plan is forming whereby I just gather together stuff that fits the idea of the above image and see where it takes me - buildings, signals, lineside paraphenalia etc.

• Like 8

14 hours ago, RodneyS said:

I do the same so I think we are both normal ! ?  🤔

The exception is the Ratio loco kit.

I have the first kit for the 4-4-0.   ALL plastic including the wheels and the handrails moulded on in the best Kitmaster style.  That is definitely not one to gloat over.

I occasionally take it out, wonder what to do with it and put it back again.

Rodney

Use the Lima HO 4F tender drive, and pick up power from the loco. The kit wheels work fine. Done 2 of the Ratio kits this way and they run great. I have added two photo's to show this. (1) the latest build and (2) my earliest version.

20200818_042038.jpg

20201029_005427.jpg

Edited by 33C
added photo.
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...

Urgh, frustration rears its ugly head again. Spent hours writing up correct processes so that jobs can be triaged effectively and correctly. What happens? I get dumped all the crap to deal with still. What a waste of my time.

Some people just don't get it, you shirk off your work you're just making someone pick up your slack.

grr

• Friendly/supportive 12

1 hour ago, Coldgunner said:

Urgh, frustration rears its ugly head again. Spent hours writing up correct processes so that jobs can be triaged effectively and correctly. What happens? I get dumped all the crap to deal with still. What a waste of my time.

Some people just don't get it, you shirk off your work you're just making someone pick up your slack.

grr

I would say, "I've done my bit, cheerio, see you tomorrow, and no, I don't take work home, unless you pay me a consultancy rate, or you get your so called employee's to pull their weight, good night. (Slam!)" Don't be a doormat...

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
On 10/08/2023 at 18:43, 33C said:

I would say, "I've done my bit, cheerio, see you tomorrow, and no, I don't take work home, unless you pay me a consultancy rate, or you get your so called employee's to pull their weight, good night. (Slam!)" Don't be a doormat...

But that attitude depends on your finances and commitments not locking you in. In the last decade of my working life changes made everything in the organisation toxic. I would have loved to do that; however, with the local job market and economy down the pan, no option therefore to resign/do something else and a family to support I just had to grin and bear it until the option to try and get early retirement arose. When your wife works and the kids are in good schools moving to take up an out of area job, even if you can get one, are non-starters. 

15 years on, just glad taking the eventual gamble on asking for early retirement, when others were being made redundant*, successfully paid off. I lost a bit of pension by going early - it was worth it. If you have to hang in there @Coldgunner, for whatever reason, you have my sympathies. Be strong with luck you will get an outlet option.

* just one part of the toxicity. Everyone wondering where will the next axe fall?

Edited by john new
Typo correction
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, john new said:

15 years on, just glad taking the eventual gamble on asking for early retirement, when others were being made redundant*, successfully paid off. I lost a bit of pension by going early - it was worth it. If you have to hang in there @Coldgunner, for whatever reason, you have my sympathies. Be strong with luck you will get an outlet option.

* just one part of the toxicity. Everyone wondering where will the next axe fall?

In my case, everyone got a "Jobs at risk" letter and was invited to apply for redundancy, which I did as it would have been worth quite a bit after 20 years service. Although some were accepted, mine was declined and I complained saying that it was age discrimination as I was 64.5 years old. This went right to the top and I met one of the senior managers who told me I had a wealth of accumulated knowledge and a valuable skillset. So why had I been told my job was at risk - they had to treat everyone equally so we all got the letter. However I was offered a 2bonus" if I stayed on to enable an "orderly handover" to my replacement.

This was during the transition of the state retirement age from 65 to 66 and so although my 65th birthday was in the April, I wouldn't get my state pension (and bus pass!) until November. I was asked to stay until the end of July but be paid for 3 more months, which I agreed to. My work pension was then backdated to April. As for the orderly handover, they didn't recruit until a week before I left and she was then on holiday so the handover was left to others to organise.

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 2 weeks later...

My dad who worked as a maintenance fitter in Cadbury's Dublin factory asked for and was refused redundancy during the mid-70s because of his knowledge and experience, but more likely as a long serving employee it would have been cheaper to  allow him to work to the then cumpulsory retirement age of 65 than pay him redundancy. Dad had the last laugh in the end he was actually four years older than he told us and his employer and had to retire when HR found out his true age after he "pulled a sickie' to paint our house and Social Welfare asked for a copy of his birth cert.

He was allowed to work to the Christmas break up rather than being required to retire immediately and given the red carpet treatment, a tour of the factory in a white coat and lunch to say goodbye to his workmates.  In a way he received his redundancy lump sum with a refund of four years Social Insurance contributions and four years pension back money.

The ironical thing was that dad did not think much of Cadbury's as an employer, though they moved him from production maintenance to less pressured role in the fitting shop as he got older, big difference from the way older workers are treated today!

• Like 8