Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Modelling mojo and state of mind

• 2 weeks later...

Hello COVID my old friend...
I've gone an tested for you again...

Cos a lack of appetite softly creeping

and the illness that was planted in my nose...

Still remains

within bloody COVID

yup... guess muggins here has it for the second time in six months.

• Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Gold
On 20/12/2023 at 19:57, MrWolf said:

I'd quite fancy a Wolseley 6/90. In black of course...😆 

But I like this too much to swap.

IMG_20230626_114421.jpg.da0906d26bdcc1fcc3b42ce1877199a0.jpg

Plus, officially, it belongs to the Memsahib...

Reminds me of a time many moons ago staying on a family visit to parental friends - saw one of those proudly displaying a discs sticker on the back being towed round Wollaton Park wall on the A52 with the front stove in! Does anyone still remember those Discs stickers?

The five of us of my generation from that trip are all still alive, sadly only my mother (now 100!) survives from the parental group. Good memories of all of them.

• Like 5

These badges were fitted as standard to the rear bumper of various Jaguars as a warning to tailgating motorists, many found their way onto other cars (Had one on an FB Victor) and stickers were available at motor spares shops.

BD17737_1.jpg.45d2e4cd486435658b157b2037aaa070.jpg

Moss Group Jaguar 

The optional disc brakes on the Herald are very good, but even they can't stop stupid!

• Like 6

On 06/01/2024 at 23:09, sjp23480 said:

Interesting article - I think I need to tidy my workbench: https://hbr.org/2019/03/the-case-for-finally-cleaning-your-desk?

Very interesting, especially as I have been busy this evening clearing off my modelling bench (Known generally as The Bench of Bodge.) It had become cluttered with half a dozen projects or more and work has pretty much ground to a halt.

Conversely, down in my workshop where I repair and restore vintage motorcycles (Dubbed The Profanium by my other half.) things are tidy. Yes there's boxes of parts and rusty remains that might come in useful, but they're away from the work bench.

All that is on the bench is the bottom half of a Villiers engine, the rest of it is in three small boxes on a shelf beneath. They're separated into fuel, ignition and mechanical, so that I don't lose anything and can tackle them individually. 

Considering it was rusted solid, it's only taken a couple of hours to get it cleaned , dismantled and find out exactly what is wrong with it. 

The only difference is that downstairs, I spend ten minutes every time I am working putting all the tools and bits back where they belong and as soon as I go to the bench, I know exactly what I need to do.

On the modelling bench, I can spend half an hour messing* about before starting work either looking for things or more often, being distracted by something else. 

It's neither productive or relaxing.

I think that maybe a lot of us need to think about that.

* Other, stronger terms are available...

Edited by MrWolf
Missed a bit!
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

This was The Bench of Bodge on Saturday:

IMG_20240106_194916.jpg.9bb3e15f77e2f610ca834acc1fd1b26b.jpg

This is The Bench of Bodge today:

IMG_20240107_225532.jpg.7b54508a25ba593c51fca1c52fc23296.jpg

Not such an overwhelming mountain of projects now, just an orderly queue.

Much less depressing!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Much less depressing!

The rail replacement bus has been replaced!

• Like 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 minutes ago, skipepsi said:

The rail replacement bus has been replaced!

Actually, I finally got around to dismantling it, cleaning it out and repairing the working indicators. It's now on the shelf with the rest of its ancient diecast brethren.

IMG_20240106_235757.jpg.5888eb97776ee32253e9aa607d920b9c.jpg

• Like 6

9 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Much less depressing!

The trouble I find is that whenever I do this, and it does feel good, it inevitably returns to its natural state in a matter of weeks!

IMG_20240108_093301_MP.jpg.effbdebf97c75663271cc4ab744497bf.jpg

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Barclay said:

The trouble I find is that whenever I do this, and it does feel good, it inevitably returns to its natural state in a matter of weeks!

Weeks?! It takes a couple of hours in my case.

And, you can see the table of the Bench of Bodge before it was tidied.

I currently have four or five loco projects on the go and about 3 inches square for work room on the bench.

Ian T

• Like 3

On 07/01/2024 at 08:09, sjp23480 said:

Interesting article - I think I need to tidy my workbench: https://hbr.org/2019/03/the-case-for-finally-cleaning-your-desk?

Heh, early 2023 I was in the process of reorganising my workbench/shelving/storage when I was struck down by the Currently Fashionable Lurgy (medium-long edition) for a few months (better but still not 100%), then had to dismantle the layout for construction access reasons, and while I managed to reassemble the layout boards, I decided to reduce the layout area somewhat, so ended up with piles of layout stuff on top of the other strata of stuff going back to the start of last year. I've gradually been working through it (it's a bit like a complex, slow-motion game of Tetris) and finally had a day recently to get all the way down to actual horizontal supporting surfaces, rediscovering a number of old projects and new stock I'd forgotten about.

It does feel better to have (mostly) taken back control. Also making a concerted effort to sell off unwanted bits and pieces, which is also freeing up space.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, sjp23480 said:

Given the prodigious work rate of some RMWebbers, I would love to test the theory and see pictures of their workspace: including @Tony Wright, @davefrk  and @30368 amongst others.

Organised chaos, though in my defence, I was working on my Class 81 before work today.

20240109_104647.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sjp23480 said:

Given the prodigious work rate of some RMWebbers, I would love to test the theory and see pictures of their workspace: including @Tony Wright, @davefrk  and @30368 amongst others.

Here's mine...........

workbench.jpg.f97f83a74154c0bdb31acdfdfb92c856.jpg

From about five/six years ago.

workbench9124.jpg.d0f0257a06e5a83cf02e149f96ddeceb.jpg

And taken a few minutes ago. 

As can be seen one of the lamps has been replaced, as has the soldering iron.

Amid the chaos are various projects I'm working on, and all the boxes on the shelves contain kits to build (there are more behind me!). 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for all the workbench pictures, unfortunately my workbench doubles as my home office.  So, all the modelling stuff is hidden under a mountain of papers, laptops(!), post-its and a diary. 

trouble is that all modelling has ground to halt (I was never that prodigious) because I can't be bothered to clear away the work stuff.

I think I need to create separate spaces for work and my hobby.  🤔  

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

2 minutes ago, sjp23480 said:

Thanks for all the workbench pictures,

Somehow I found these workbench photos fascinating, rather than clog up this thread with mine, I will start a new thread.

• Like 1

My workbench consists of a piece of wood on the living room pouffe so has to be tidied away. At least living alone means the living room and workbench can be a shared space. It also becomes my bicycle workshop and my gaming space.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, 97406 said:

Organised chaos, though in my defence, I was working on my Class 81 before work today.

20240109_104647.jpg

Here’s a picture of your workbench, on my work bench ..

IMG_9672.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Funny 1