Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Modelling mojo and state of mind

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Amazing how much the sun coming out improves the mojo. Sorting and tidying the tool boxes today, so much easier out on the drive in the sun. Tidying and sorting can be frustrating though. Wife buys you a new temp controlled soldering iron for birthday. Carefully store it where you expect to find it after last use, go to find it!! Completely forgetting you have done two shows since and what were the boxes at the front are now at the back and what you had out for the show is hiding it.

Edited by john new
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

The dreaded Mojo has given me a kicking for the last couple of years, but thanks in large part to the RMWeb community, I'm still here. 

Well; I think I'm still here.... The problem is this... I keep seeing nice things on here. and naturally, I want to emulate those nice things. However, the model railway scene is somewhere down the 'to-do' list, behind turning lead into Gold, anti-gravity mats, etc, etc, etc...

Anyhow, thanks for being hereabouts.

Cheers,

Ian.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well Folks, a fortnight onwards, and much improved. The work regarding the shed has re-started, and I should complete it sometime this summer. 

Common Branch Junction awaits....

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 4
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, tomparryharry said:

Well Folks, a fortnight onwards, and much improved. The work regarding the shed has re-started, and I should complete it sometime this summer. 

Common Branch Junction awaits....

Good man, that’s positive news 👍

Stay strong and remember we are all here to encourage you 🙂

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Bloody work - a colleague has promised a user that 'I' will call them back at a certain time and then finished for the day. Boils my piss that. Didn't have the gall to tell me, just a note on a job then buggered off.

... I did see the note before said arranged time, but not calling at that time cos I got other stuff to do.

Edited by Coldgunner
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Coldgunner said:

Bloody work - a colleague has promised a user that 'I' will call them back at a certain time and then finished for the day. Boils my piss that. Didn't have the gall to tell me, just a note on a job then buggered off.

... I did see the note before said arranged time, but not calling at that time cos I got other stuff to do.

Aha! Friday night follies! Been there, done that: T-shirt, etc, etc. My old boss used to try finishing  mid-afternoon, to get home Friday in time for tea. However he lived considerably closer to home, whereas  I was travelling back from Southend-on-Sea. In short (or long) 250-ish miles back home, and, paying for the Severn Bridge on the way.. Happy? Oh, yessss; happy alright.... 

• Friendly/supportive 7

• 2 weeks later...

Tooth pain, is there any worse pain? Been having a niggling issue that came to a head today when chewing food and somehow that caused the most physical pain I think I've ever had. Emergency appointment booked (£99!) for this afternoon, plus whatever the final 'fix' costs. Its been maybe 10 years since I've been to a dentist, as I only go when there's a problem. Private dentistry is far too expensive and the lack of NHS dentists I think is causing a problem with oral hygiene. I brush twice a day, but I guess sometimes things just go bad regardless.

• Friendly/supportive 12

40 minutes ago, Coldgunner said:

Tooth pain, is there any worse pain? Been having a niggling issue that came to a head today when chewing food and somehow that caused the most physical pain I think I've ever had. Emergency appointment booked (£99!) for this afternoon, plus whatever the final 'fix' costs. Its been maybe 10 years since I've been to a dentist, as I only go when there's a problem. Private dentistry is far too expensive and the lack of NHS dentists I think is causing a problem with oral hygiene. I brush twice a day, but I guess sometimes things just go bad regardless.

£99? Think yourself lucky!!

NHS dentistry is extinct in Cornwall, so we'd not seen a dentist for years.

When my wife wife had a receding gum / pain issue six months ago, we were forced to sign up with a private practice - I thought I'd better have a check-up too.

We both had an initial inspection - compulsory if you wanted to be seen; a hygienist appointment - again, compulsory prior to any treatment; my wife had a desensitising coating to her teeth, and I had a minor cavity filled.

Total cost - over £2,000 !!!

Six months later, they were insisting that we needed to go through the hygienist / inspection regime again - no way !!!

It is high time that the government dictated that all newly trained dentists fulfil several years of NHS-only practice before being allowed to undertake private practice - and that the government pay realistic remuneration during that period.

CJI.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

23 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

£99? Think yourself lucky!!

NHS dentistry is extinct in Cornwall, so we'd not seen a dentist for years.

When my wife wife had a receding gum / pain issue six months ago, we were forced to sign up with a private practice - I thought I'd better have a check-up too.

We both had an initial inspection - compulsory if you wanted to be seen; a hygienist appointment - again, compulsory prior to any treatment; my wife had a desensitising coating to her teeth, and I had a minor cavity filled.

Total cost - over £2,000 !!!

Six months later, they were insisting that we needed to go through the hygienist / inspection regime again - no way !!!

It is high time that the government dictated that all newly trained dentists fulfil several years of NHS-only practice before being allowed to undertake private practice - and that the government pay realistic remuneration during that period.

CJI.

Maybe if the NHS is funding them but you can’t impose that if they are paying their own way through training 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

47 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

Maybe if the NHS is funding them but you can’t impose that if they are paying their own way through training 

Such is the shortage of dentists that we need a government-funded, priority training campaign.

If potential dentists want to go straight into private practice - they self-fund their training.

CJI.

• Like 3

Had the appointment, wisdom tooth has a hole in it and they've referred me to the NHS for the oral surgeon. They were unable to take it out there and then as my mouth was just too tight and difficult to get at. Couldn't even numb my mouth as the needle was triggering me gag reflex, which is strong. Down side - a few weeks wait to be referred. Up side - the treatment won't cost me.

The costs involved for me today (£99 emergency + £65 x-ray) gives an insight into what a fully private health system would be, its a bleak outlook. Is it any wonder people would rather live with the pain?

• Friendly/supportive 6

I had two teeth out last year, seeing an oral surgeon tomorrow for another one out, it's too close to my sinus for my private dentist to want to risk.

Only had a couple of weeks wait for the NHS appt with the surgeon so they may see you faster than you expect.

I did notice that private fees jumped massively after lockdown, having a tooth out was £65 before Covid but is now £125 and more expensive than a filling.  But my own anxiety about the extraction meant I did not seek help until I was absolutely paranoid all my teeth were coming out last year (they weren't) and I finally agreed to what the dentist had been suggesting for years - remove the two infected ones.

This latest one isn't infected by I managed to grind out both sides of tooth around a filling leaving basically a tooth capped with several fillings which kept coming off.  I finally admitted defeat last month and asked the dentist to remove it after which the willpower I had been using to hold it together broke and the various fillings on it fell apart in my mouth.

In terms of pain, I lived with pain through Covid not through the cost but the fear of the extraction which in the end was nothing.

• Friendly/supportive 4

I’m lucky in that I have a very good dentist at the moment and she is NHS, the only downside is that the surgery is now 90 miles away but I will hang on as a patient for as long as possible. She believes prevention is better than cure and recommended what I call a mouth karcher ( water flosser ).  I got one and it’s amazing what bits it gets out. Her recommendation is to floss first then clean with an electric brush, but don’t rinse as the fluoride in the paste should be given a chance to get into your teeth. You should do this a least twice a day. I have followed this advice (well , sort of followed) and for the last three years all six monthly checks have given me a clean bill of health, so it may be worth trying. 

Edited by Hibelroad
Spelling
  • Informative/Useful 2

24 minutes ago, Hibelroad said:

I’m lucky in that I have a very good dentist at the moment and she is NHS, the only downside is that the surgery is now 90 miles away but I will hang on as a patient for as long as possible. She believes prevention is better than cure and recommended what I call a mouth karcher ( water flosser ).  I got one and it’s amazing what bits it gets out. Her recommendation is to floss first then clean with an electric brush, but don’t rinse as the fluoride in the paste should be given a chance to get into your teeth. You should do this a least twice a day. I have followed this advice (well , sort of followed) and for the last three years all six monthly checks have given me a clean bill of health, so it may be worth trying. 

Depends on your starting point I guess - good teeth are easier to maintain than ones that have taken a battering.

I believe I look after them now, but as a child I had to wait until a peer at secondary school commented on the state of my teeth to make me realise I was not doing something lots of other people were and my parents had not taught me this even though I had had to have a milk tooth removed under sedation.  Don't look after you teeth early on and you pay the penalty later, both my children have good teeth through to adulthood so I hope they don't experience what I have.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

My visits to the dentist are infrequent at best (generally about a decade between visits currently!). But I do brush twice a day when I can. Mine are far from straight or perfect, but up until recently I've been fine, chomping through many sweets and dinners. As a child were were eligible for free checkups.

My primary achievement though is the filling I got done without aneasthetic! I was in my early twenties I wasn't quite so diligent, and needed 2 fillings done. I'm not sure how it transpired, but I chose to have it done without, and by god did that hurt. The drilling and grinding hurt like buggery. I tapped out before getting the second one done, and accepted aneasthetic.

I'm either brave or stupid, probably the latter.

• Friendly/supportive 2

4 hours ago, Coldgunner said:

Tooth pain, is there any worse pain?

Try a restricted nerve. I would happily swap. After my NHS dentist retired, I went looking for a new one. No dice. All full up. Nearest vacant, 159 miles away! And then they closed/merged. Looked at private prices nearby and was surprised that for most work, it was a third more expensive than I was paying for NHS treatment. (Yes, no free for me!) I can book and be seen within the week, the service is excellent, the building is beautiful. (Not relevant but true and there is an interesting library!) and I can walk along the beach to get there in 20 minutes. 3 monthly check ups keep the big bills at bay and a tin on the side pays for them if they do. I had 2 check ups, 4 x-rays, full tooth enamel clean/whitening. £250. £39 cheaper than my last NHS  appointment. May be expensive to some, but shop around. Just happens they were the best for me after a lot of searching, and don't leave it 10 years!

• Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

22 hours ago, 33C said:

Try a restricted nerve. I would happily swap. After my NHS dentist retired, I went looking for a new one. No dice. All full up. Nearest vacant, 159 miles away! And then they closed/merged. Looked at private prices nearby and was surprised that for most work, it was a third more expensive than I was paying for NHS treatment. (Yes, no free for me!) I can book and be seen within the week, the service is excellent, the building is beautiful. (Not relevant but true and there is an interesting library!) and I can walk along the beach to get there in 20 minutes. 3 monthly check ups keep the big bills at bay and a tin on the side pays for them if they do. I had 2 check ups, 4 x-rays, full tooth enamel clean/whitening. £250. £39 cheaper than my last NHS  appointment. May be expensive to some, but shop around. Just happens they were the best for me after a lot of searching, and don't leave it 10 years!

My NHS Dentist Surgery shut down and re-opened as a private surgery, reasons given was down to the amount of abuse they were getting from some patients.  I decided to stay with them as I've had nothing but great service from them. 

My last appointment was a check up, replace a filling and a clean.  Cost me £150, generally a check up and a clean is £60 every 6 months.

Its funny that some people would happily shell out £200+ on a model loco but baulk at the same cost for treatment to end pain.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

Saw the oral surgeon today, it was just an extraction, he didn't need to do any packing or stitching.

Was in and out in 15 minutes and didn't feel a thing apart from the obvious pushing/tugging.

Hopefully this is the end of the extractions.

• Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold

Mood is weird, mine is swinging like a mad pendulum currently from high to low then back again. Going to a friend’s funeral tomorrow, that is not helping today and obviously won’t tomorrow either.

• Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium

My mood has taken a nose dive, whether its the redundancies coming to pass, being told your doing a great job and we would like you to be permenant but whereas all the other members of the SLT have had a pay rise your not getting one, My son who is autistic having more melt downs , feeling my wife who has lots of health conditions can miraculously do lots more out of the house with others rather than at home I dont know but severly fed up comes to mind.. 

I sorted out some smokeboxes to solder up and some boilers which are ready for the next stage but lost the urge to do it. The only bright spark has been sending my book to the printers, it coming back needing some changes and having managed to make them, now I just need to add some more images as there is too much white space.

• Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Gold

I can relate to that. Mrs Smith has got a lot going on with different things; all external. In my case, she gets respite from me, which suits me fine. The solitude at times is absolute bliss. The shed continues, with glazing and lighting, but I'm master of my fortunes, so an hour here, and an hour there, keeps the interest going, and planning the next 'hour'. 

I think we all know that the weather plays a huge factor in our lives. The last 6 days have been pretty good, hence the mood.

Stick with it, Folks!  

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• 2 weeks later...

The last year has been challenging so to speak. This time last year I managed to find closure and move on from a mental health crisis I experienced five years ago to be faced with a crisis which arose while on holiday in the United States as a result of which my wife needed to remain behind to care for her father who has dementia and our teenage child experienced a mental health crisis as a result of the stress that arose during the holidays and some deep seated mental health issues.

The upshot is that my wife needs to remain in the States for at least another year to care for her father in the home while arranging his long term care (long waiting lists and a very convoluted bureaucracy) while I support a child that has retreated to their room and own world and an elderly mother in-law with memory problems.

Although this has severely restricted my time available for a break from the routine, I have found a sense of solace in accepting that my wife may not return for some time(if ever) and my child's mental health crisis simularily will take some time to treat and may have to put my efforts at railway modelling on the back burner. 

I suppose accepting fate, the best laid plans of mice and men etc. 

Strangely  12 months ago I had set out my modeling objectives for the next year or so complete the assembly of two locos kits and assemble 4 etched coach kits. So far I have only been able to find the time to tidy up the work bench and sort out the bits and pieces to assemble one of the locos!

Still it does not seem to bother me too much.

• Friendly/supportive 7