When TT3 was the next Big Thing

Great idea and almost certainly, they'll have a better printer than you. The big issue is getting them to scale down correctly.

All the goods wagon scans I have printed at 76% which gives a very close fit WIDTH wise to the Tri-ang wagon chassis.  Lengthwise I fold or cut just over the corner plates as the Tri-ang chassis is 10' and these are based on 9' chassis's.  Some are very slightly different but not enough to worry about on a Tri-ang chassis.  The Blood and Custard coach has been done at 74% as I want to fit it onto a Tri-ang main line coach frame keeping a proper fitting roof etc.

The prints look to be a better quality than the originals so really well pleased.

At the end of the day it is all a compromise.  I am not into the dead scale etc but work to Tri-ang standards.

Garry

Edited by Golden Fleece 30

Here are some wagon bodies made up, unfortunately all on the same chassis at the moment as I have no spares. I have quite been cruel here making the photos as large as they are which shows up quite a lot of mistakes like using the wrong side pieces, 15mm instead for 14mm, for the Wood and Co wagon along with the felt tip orange not as good a match in the photo. Missing some black edging on the first wagon I did which was the Charringtons. The Tri-ang van roofs fit the bodies nicely though. Due to the difference in the wheelbase design of the prints (9') and the Tri-ang one used (10') you can see where the folds are not as intended but overall from a normal viewing distance they look good enough for me.

As mentioned before it is all a compromise and they certainly give a different look to a goods train.

Considering some Artwork was drawn in the 1930's and I guess none of them on a PC anyway they are very good. I would like to cut out the coach windows but that would be too much.

All the wagons are pre BR and only one set of coaches are BR period, the others being SR and LMS does anyone know of any more BR vehicles being done?

Hopefully the next batch I do will be slightly better as I know what pitfalls there was this time. But, I do need quite a few scrap chassis's now, anyone got any to dispose of?

Garry

post-22530-0-89658600-1520463468_thumb.jpg

post-22530-0-18206700-1520463502_thumb.jpg

post-22530-0-91728400-1520463581_thumb.jpg

post-22530-0-06443000-1520463613_thumb.jpg

post-22530-0-68953800-1520463642_thumb.jpg

post-22530-0-56136500-1520463684_thumb.jpg

post-22530-0-00643300-1520464050_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

It should be possible to stretch the sides to fit using suitable software. I must have a go, but at the moment we are recovering from the stress of a new boiler (fitted on the coldest week of the year!  :( ) and redecorating....

There are several free* downloads on the net for resizing images, which allow different ratios for width and height.

A quick play of the SR open wagon using MediaImpression.

post-6780-0-96004700-1520500664_thumb.jpg

Rescaled horizontally by 10/9, tweaked the colour and sharpened slightly.

Really the lettering needs squeezing up slightly but that involves more work....

Edited by Il Grifone

It should be possible to stretch the sides to fit using suitable software. I must have a go, but at the moment we are recovering from the stress of a new boiler (fitted on the coldest week of the year!  :( ) and redecorating....

There are several free* downloads on the net for resizing images, which allow different ratios for width and height.

Hi David,

Thanks for the info but as I have already got each sheet printed at a local printers and there are usually 4 wagons per sheet I will wait to see if any other styles turn up. Not all the sheets are the same either so it would need different scales for each drawing. There must be 30+ wagons to do now, all requiring a chassis, including a 6 wheeler which may have cut up Tri-ang chassis's used so plenty to go at along with locos, layout, coaches and so on.

Garry

• RMweb Premium

The Wood & Co wagon reminds me of a wooden OO gauge wagon which was added to what was my brother's Hornby Dublo trainset in the early 1950s. Think there was a similar yard office. I've an idea they might have been early Ratio kits.

• Like 1

A few more of the various wagon overlays on bodies of which I have not got around to painting the insides of yet.  The 6 wheel insulated van will need two roofs cut down unless I can make a suitable one in card, most likely a temporary one will be made until spare Tri-ang ones are available.  I will need to make its chassis in three pieces though as the Tri-ang ones do not locate on the centre line with the buffers correctly lined up.

Garry

post-22530-0-19286900-1520598106_thumb.jpg

post-22530-0-20394900-1520606366_thumb.jpg

post-22530-0-00949300-1520606466_thumb.jpg

post-22530-0-60955700-1520606540_thumb.jpg

post-22530-0-05443800-1520606595_thumb.jpg

post-22530-0-79930000-1520606647_thumb.jpg

post-22530-0-03059700-1520606816_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Having wanted some "rock" area at one end of the layout I initially thought of cork bark (keeping the weight down) as in the old days and having looked up where to get some it seems pet shops sell it for vivariums.  Having gone to the local pet shop only to find none in stock I saw a resin moulded rock structure for indoor fish tanks.  This was sawn up into 4 pieces, 3 of which are used here, and the result can be seen here. I might put a little more scenery around the bases but it looks okay for now.

Garry

post-22530-0-28938800-1520627454_thumb.jpg

post-22530-0-68850500-1520627568_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Coming on nicely. I've put out an enquiry about the Merchant Navy. I've a vague memory of talk of one being produced some time ago, but don't believe it ever happened.

Nigel

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The gist of the answers is this. Alan Searle (Signal Products) intended to do a kit some 40 years ago, but got out of the scale before doing it. The 3mm Society currently has an intention of doing one, but this is an ongoing saga. That's it.

So it's either scratch built, or Alana Searle's project got further than anybody knew.

Nigel

Does anyone know the origins of this loco class kit like who made it, when were they available etc? The advert states possibly etched brass but it looks like whitemetal. It is a loco that would be nice for my layout but the price is going a little high.

Garry

I presume it's not a hacked Brit on a Merchant Navy chassis

• RMweb Premium

Frank Crudass built one in the 1960s, found a pic of it in an old Mixed Traffic. Don't think this is the one; he used the Merchant Navy chassis and also the MN cab. This looks like a scratch built cab, and there's a suggestion it's on a Britannia chassis.

Frank Crudass built one in the 1960s, found a pic of it in an old Mixed Traffic. Don't think this is the one; he used the Merchant Navy chassis and also the MN cab. This looks like a scratch built cab, and there's a suggestion it's on a Britannia chassis.

I think it is either a Brit chassis with M/N wheels, bogie and pony truck, or, the Brit valve gear has been fitted to the M/N chassis.  To me the places where the paint is missing looks to be whitemetal as opposed to brass as stated in the advert, along with other photos.

Garry

• RMweb Premium

Bit more about the M/N. A 3mm Society member bought a similar model a few months ago. He says that in the 1960s a company was advertising TT body kits to fit on existing chasses, mainly Southern. He thinks the company was called Holbrook or Holcroft.

• Like 1

Bit more about the M/N. A 3mm Society member bought a similar model a few months ago. He says that in the 1960s a company was advertising TT body kits to fit on existing chasses, mainly Southern. He thinks the company was called Holbrook or Holcroft.

Those names are not familiar to me as kit makers but I am not saying they did not exist. Being Southern they could have been a small company based in that region and only supplied a handful of shops. Now I have said that no doubt someone will say they were big and supplied everywhere. I just wish I had known of them and got one in the day.

A little disappointed at Doncaster today, very little TT and what was there expensive, £550 for a Continental mineral wagon. I did manage to barter some broken wagons down to £2.00 just for the chassis's but only 6.

Garry

This is a long shot, but if memory serves Bob Denny of Long Eaton, Notts (who used to advertise in RM) was offering bodies built for proprietary chassis (Triang, H/D etc). I haven't got one of his ads to hand, but might he have done anything in TT?

This is a long shot, but if memory serves Bob Denny of Long Eaton, Notts (who used to advertise in RM) was offering bodies built for proprietary chassis (Triang, H/D etc). I haven't got one of his ads to hand, but might he have done anything in TT?

I have just looked up a 1964 advert of Bob Denny's and after a list of scratchbuilt 00 loco bodies he states TT and 0 gauge considered so that could be a possibility, but, I still think this is whitemetal and not scratchbuilt.

Garry 

Still a few things to do, touch ups etc, but nearly there for the weekend.  Here a Brit is on suburban duty just on the level crossing which gives access to the goods yard.  A Jinty is departing for the lower level.  This loco and the first two wagons are from a set I have just received.

Garry

post-22530-0-47981200-1520973540_thumb.jpg

post-22530-0-72473900-1520973602_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

The station names have been made although they may be improved at a later date (time permitting lol).  The upper one is "Nevaeh New Town" and the lower one "Heavens Halt".  There is more to do scenery wise although a couple of extra things have done but I don't think much more will be done for the show now.  I have just got a 6 wheeled Insulated van to run around the Tri-ang curves and points so this needs it's chassis and roof painting.

Garry

post-22530-0-55113400-1521069761_thumb.jpg

post-22530-0-93285500-1521069894_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

All falling into place very nicely. As a matter of interest, how do you propose cleaning the track in the tunnels? About 15 years ago I had an HO US layout running around the railway room, and the one thing I disliked was having to get to the hidden track to clean it. As I live in one of the damper parts of the country, the rail seemed to require cleaning fairly frequently.

Also, what's the black material forming the base of the bridge?

Edited by NCB