When TT3 was the next Big Thing

Here is the "Power" tank, it is difficult to get the true colour without the flash causing a line across the barrel, the other is without flash altogether.  The ends are the black tank until I can find/mix a matching green.

The UD tank still had wet paint on the yellow ends and requires a second coat so unmounted here.

Garry

post-22530-0-00819000-1522959608_thumb.jpg

post-22530-0-66978500-1522959645_thumb.jpg

post-22530-0-68021900-1522959681_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

A couple more repaints, one of which you do not see often, a very early BR light green and Sunshine lettering.  Also a couple of close ups of the flags painted on the crests, not the best but from a normal viewing distance acceptable to me.

The photos do show up a lot of discrepancies like the lining not quite straight, I much prefer meths/varnish fix but they are not made anymore but don't think there was ever any for TT anyway.

Garry

post-22530-0-44516600-1523024046_thumb.jpg

post-22530-0-89456700-1523024084_thumb.jpg

post-22530-0-25226200-1523024114_thumb.jpg

post-22530-0-22174400-1523024174_thumb.jpg

Edited by Golden Fleece 30
  • Like 1

An interesting nameplate I have just received for another repaint is Winston Churchill. The plates as made by Kings Cross (Eames) have the shield attached ABOVE the nameplate as they were when a loco was rebuilt. This loco never made a rebuilt stage living its whole life as a Spam Can so |I wonder why this was done as Spam Cans had the shields (where fitted) below the name. It maybe due to a fixed master (if all the B of B's plates were the same length) allowing the owner to use either shape although there is very little space between the two parts to cut across?

A few more repaints and builds to do as well, I just wish the plates looked as neat after I have cut them out..

Garry

post-22530-0-77594100-1523032172_thumb.jpg

post-22530-0-27851500-1523032239_thumb.jpg

post-22530-0-30662000-1523032297_thumb.jpg

post-22530-0-88020900-1523032353_thumb.jpg

post-22530-0-47319700-1523032412_thumb.jpg

post-22530-0-23812100-1523032485_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Methfix transfers: the PC Models transfers ended up with the HMRS. Here's the 4mm list:

https://hmrs.org.uk/transfers.html?transfer_group=6540&transfer_scale=11883&transfer_type=11885

PC Models also did quite a lot of methfix transfers in 3mm/ft for the 3mm Society. I use them quite a lot, for things like GWR buffer beam numbers and other loco markings. Took a quick look and can't find lining; strange, I thought there was some.

Nigel

Methfix transfers: the PC Models transfers ended up with the HMRS. Here's the 4mm list:

https://hmrs.org.uk/transfers.html?transfer_group=6540&transfer_scale=11883&transfer_type=11885

PC Models also did quite a lot of methfix transfers in 3mm/ft for the 3mm Society. I use them quite a lot, for things like GWR buffer beam numbers and other loco markings. Took a quick look and can't find lining; strange, I thought there was some.

Nigel

I have used some of theirs but only in 4mm but did do a TT Pullman with them.  I did not know PC did any in 3mm though although I once saw a coach of theirs which surprised me.   Once stocks are depleted I am led to believe that will be the end of it as there are very few transfer makers left in the world who could do Meths/varnish but wont entertain it anymore.  Kayleigh in this country used to but I was told by them they had the last roll or so of the duplex paper, which is only made by one company in China, and even at a price they are not interested in using it do do anymore.

Garry

AFAIK the lining transfers were only ever available as 'Pressfix'. I find the 'Methfix' fiddly and prone to shifting position while being applied. It does lie flatter than 'Pressfix' however. Both are superior to waterslide decals IMHO.

AFAIK the lining transfers were only ever available as 'Pressfix'. I find the 'Methfix' fiddly and prone to shifting position while being applied. It does lie flatter than 'Pressfix' however. Both are superior to waterslide decals IMHO

Hi David, the lining ones as you say are Pressfix but I was told by the HMRS that you can use meths, especially if the "tackiness" has gone which is what I did on the Pullman.  Pressfix have always given me slight issues in the past, 10 thumbs I think I have, but they are still better than the old Rub on ones that you could buy.  "Most" Fox transfers are quite good but I have had the odd sheet having the numbers break up but they are better than the Modelmaster ones in my opinion.

Garry

Hi Garry,

I've never tried Fox, but did get a sheet of Modelmaster for Diagram 1/108 16T mineral wagons (mainly Airfix/Dapol and still a couple to apply!). Foolishly, I tried the suggestion of peeling off the backing film and bu**ered up the transfer. I will have to redo it with 'Pressfix'....

I have seen the tip about meths, but have still to try it (there are some ancient transfers to try it on). I usually wet them slightly so they can be repositioned.

Don't get me started on the 'Letraset' type press down. Probably I'm ham-handed but I always found only part of the item would transfer and then in the wrong place - see my B & M (ex MR) 3 plank elsewhere. This was done with 'Letraset' way back in time when the kit (k's) was still current. They are stll better than my attempts at hand lettering however.

EDIT for bad aim with the shift key!

Edited by Il Grifone

Hi Garry,

I've never tried Fox, but did get a sheet of Modelmaster for Diagram 1/108 16T mineral wagons (mainly Airfix/Dapol and still a couple to apply!). Foolishly, I tried the suggestion of peeling off the backing film and bu**ered up the transfer. I will have to redo it with 'Pressfix'....

I have seen the tip about meths, but have still to try it (there are some ancient transfers to try it on). I usually wet them slightly so they can be repositioned.

Don't get me started on the 'Letraset' type press down. Probably i'm ham-handed but I always found only part of the item would transfer and then in the wrong place - see my B & M (ex MR) 3 plank elsewhere. This was done with 'Letraset' way back in time when the kit (k's) was still current. They are stll better than my attempts at hand lettering however.

Hi David,

My only "success" with the rub down one's was a few bits of other letters/emblems along the sheet sticking where ever and only half the item I wanted placed on the model. By then the rubbing of the pencil lifted the Sheet so other items could not be positioned.

Those "peelable" ones were just as bad, no matter how long I left it, no matter how little tackiness tape I used the transfer still lifted.

Garry

• RMweb Premium

I tend to use different transfers for different purposes, mainly waterslide or methfix. Methfix I found OK provided that they weren't too fine; have had a lot of trouble with the GWR shirt-button totem. There's quite a lot of Modelmaster transfers available in 3mm from 3SMR; I use the big-four wagon numbers a lot. I think they're fine.

Don't get on with the rub-down ones too well, although have had some success with the 3mm ones from Powsides. I used Pressfix OK a long time ago, but can't remember how they differed from rub-down ones.

Pressfix were cut out with a tissue on top, the transfer pressed onto the body then the tissue was wetted. This was then slid or lifted off the transfer. Rub on types were on thin plastic sheet that you rubbed over the image required with a pencil to press it onto the model.

Garry

and then you lifted the plastic sheet and part of the transfer came off again....

• Like 1

As it seems that quite a few of you are having trouble with transfers, be aware that I produce virtually all of my range in 3mm. scale - including coach lining transfers.

https://www.cctrans.org.uk/products.htm

Regards,

John Isherwood.

John, the main transfers I use are loco cab side numbers and loco lining which I cannot see on the site along with the tender crests. The tender crests seem to be in 7mm scale. Have I missed them or are you looking at doing them later?

Garry

• RMweb Premium

John, the main transfers I use are loco cab side numbers and loco lining which I cannot see on the site along with the tender crests. The tender crests seem to be in 7mm scale. Have I missed them or are you looking at doing them later?

Garry

Garry,

Try Sheet BL129 at https://www.cctrans.org.uk/products.htm ; I don't do loco lining because there are just too many different shapes, and maintaining registration on curves when printing dead-scale lining is nigh-on impossible with the technology that I use.

I can produce lining that can be used for my own 4mm. scale models, but results are too inconsistent to be commercially viable.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Garry,

Try Sheet BL129 at https://www.cctrans.org.uk/products.htm ; I don't do loco lining because there are just too many different shapes, and maintaining registration on curves when printing dead-scale lining is nigh-on impossible with the technology that I use.

I can produce lining that can be used for my own 4mm. scale models, but results are too inconsistent to be commercially viable.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Thanks John.

Regards

Garry

• RMweb Premium

and then you lifted the plastic sheet and part of the transfer came off again....

That's why I didn't like them! Especially on transfers with fine detail. P.O. wagon transfers from Powsides weren't too bad.

Nigel

I have just been reading in a 1957 RM an article about the new Tri-ang TT system that was ready to be delivered to the shops and it states "Tri-ang TT is here to stay". I wonder what the magazine said 11 years later when it had all gone?

I did not know that before Tri-ang brought TT out that Peco and Gem were already making track for the foreign trains imported here.

Peco also were responsible for adding the 3 to TT to denote the difference between the UK scale of 3mm and other TT ones at 2.5mm scale. In fact they had a photo of a 4F and couple of wagons made by hand to 2.5scale with S. C. Pritchard being involved.

The demonstration layout Peco built to "advertise" the new system had a Rokal German Pacific at the head of the suburbans as Tri-ang only had the Jinty available, the Castle was coming later in the year.

Garry

• Like 1

In my TT days (59-72) Tri-ang TT was getting increasingly hard to get, many shops stopped stocking it in the mid 60's. Choice was very limited compared to OO.

When we moved house in 1972, all my TT was virtually worn out. I decided to go OO and never looked back.

Still, I remember and certainly enjoyed my TT days.

Brit15

Here is a finished United Dairies tank wagon.  I have painted the filler black and used a ladder which both things to me makes the model a lot more appealing.  Anyone else made any enquires about the overlays?

The unrebuilt W/C has been stripped and is a very nice nickel silver hand made loco.  One window bar and tender step need soldering back then a couple of nameplate mounts will be soldered on.  At the moment it could be one of two locos.  I have cut out the plates for Tavistock which has no shields, but, the ones for Illfracombe look very good.  If I can cut them out successfully around the shields then that will be the one with mounting plates to suit.

Garry

post-22530-0-38199600-1523357647_thumb.jpg

post-22530-0-95979800-1523357700_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

When I saw the photo I thought it was a chrome plated one - but then remembered the chrome ones were unrebuilt style.  It certainly looks to be very nicely built.

You might be thinking of the Gold plated ones, not chrome, that were done for the Kay's catalogue. That was a full set including 3 coaches.

I would like to take credit for the loco but unfortunately I cannot, I have no idea who the builder was but I am now very annoyed I missed his Lord Nelson a few months ago.  Even the nameplates he made for this were etched brass and not painted, a little out of scale/proportion for TT but far better than the Modelmaster/3SMR ones that you cannot read or have letters missing.

Garry

There seems to be a lack of layouts and other projects in TT on this thread, surely there must be plenty around whether it is just plain Tri-ang TT or "finescale 3mm" etc.  I have seen the odd Cambrian wagon and part of another layout in these pages but that's all.  It would be nice to see what others have or are up to.

Has anyone been interested to look at getting any of the TT tank wagon overlays yet?

Garry

• RMweb Premium

There seems to be a lack of layouts and other projects in TT on this thread, surely there must be plenty around whether it is just plain Tri-ang TT or "finescale 3mm" etc.  I have seen the odd Cambrian wagon and part of another layout in these pages but that's all.  It would be nice to see what others have or are up to.

Has anyone been interested to look at getting any of the TT tank wagon overlays yet?

Garry

Had intended to get around to doing something in one of the other sections, such as 3mm/ft. However, here's a taster. The layout has taken a long, long time to develop, mainly because I get distracted by building rolling stock.

This one is after the basic track has been laid, and a couple of buildings built and positioned to see how they look. The layout is called Port Aeron, and is a take on Aberaeron with a suitably modified history to enlarge operations. Period is GWR immediately prior to WWII.

post-26119-0-55995600-1523552722.jpg

Here's a shot of the end board while scenic stuff was being developed.

post-26119-0-71054900-1523553394.jpg

Here's more shots of the end board, which in essentials is now complete, although more detail will get added.

post-26119-0-00856700-1523553795.jpg

post-26119-0-06866700-1523553858.jpg

post-26119-0-82098900-1523554189.jpg

Not much has been done on scenery for the second board, yet. The white-balance on the 2nd and 5th pics is a bit up the creek.

Edited by NCB
  • Like 2